Bandsaw blade tension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawdustjon

Established Member
Reaction score
Can any one give me a little advice on blade tension on my bandsaw?
I was told to tension the blade so that it moves about a quarter of an inch on the side opposite the roller guides. This I have done without much success. Is there a more reliable method without spending a fortune on tension scales. The problems I have is that the cut wanders a lot and the blade rattles about the roller guides, also I have broken a few blades through over tension I think. Is it all down to trial and error and experience or are there some useful tips to be passed on.
Thanks John

What blade are using? The one that came with the machine? If so then bin it and buy one from Ian at Tuff Saws. Then get Steve Maskery's excellent DVD on setting up a bandsaw...well worth the dosh.

I found over the years using a BS is to tighten the tension as far as you can. Then tighter if it is still not cutting true. Never broken a blade yet. Otherwise buy a new blade and Tuff blades have always been good for me.

devonwoody":1va8lb57 said:
I found over the years using a BS is to tighten the tension as far as you can. Then tighter if it is still not cutting true. Never broken a blade yet. Otherwise buy a new blade and Tuff blades have always been good for me.

That doesn't work on my small bandsaw. If I overtighten then the blade speed goes right down.

I tighten the minimum to keep the blade moving without slipping on the wheels, plus a bit. If not a straight cut it usually helps to tighten a bit more, but the tighter you go the shorter the blade life.

Back