Bandsaw tension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I only offered my opinion.
I have read more unsubstantiated nonsense from forums on this subject to fill volumes.
Understanding the mechanical properties is a first step but as I've already said, there is no actual evidence to prove, what seems to be nothing more than myths.
If you are breaking blades prematurely, there may be another problem/s as to the cause.

Hi all just got a new bandsaw with no lever for tensioning the blade, record 250.
Would normally leave the blade un tensioned at work but thats a far bigger blade but seems be be a bit of a faff without a lever was wondering if anyone else has the same model and if they have had issues leaving the blade tensioned.

I've had my Record BS250 now for over 4 years and never release tension unless changing blades . I have never had issues and love my saw . Good maintenance is essential to keep them running smoothly .

Speak as you find. I have had premature breakage on expensive bi-metal blades with tension left on but lost none since I got the de-tensioning habit, so it has saved me money. My bandsaw is not in daily use which probably makes a difference.

Jim
I bought a Wadkin 20"BZB bandsaw new in 1967 and have never detensioned it in all that time and have never had to replace anything in all that time and it is used most workdays the only blade breakages have been caused by the operator me included We always used Starrat blades untill they stopped producing them we now have them made by Ernest Bennett Co who are local to us and supply most of our needs that is TCT saw blades, planer blades and profile cutters etc. Regarding tensioning / untensioning i suppose it's a habit you get into which one you use.

I bought a Wadkin 20"BZB bandsaw new in 1967 and have never detensioned it in all that time and have never had to replace anything in all that time and it is used most workdays the only blade breakages have been caused by the operator me included We always used Starrat blades untill they stopped producing them we now have them made by Ernest Bennett Co who are local to us and supply most of our needs that is TCT saw blades, planer blades and profile cutters etc. Regarding tensioning / untensioning i suppose it's a habit you get into which one you use.
I think daily use does make a difference. Bi-metal blades are stiffer than ordinary carbon steel and also require higher tension, so long periods at rest in one position will mean the sections around the wheels will be selectively subject to additional stress. I have also heard that machines will often come to rest in the same position, but don't know if that is true. The size of the wheels will also make a difference, my Felder 14" saw (not made by Felder but Italian and similar to the contemporary Startrite) will clearly have smaller wheels than your Wadkin so the blade will follow a tighter arc. Like many other UKW members I get my blades from Tuffsaws and it was on Ian John's advice that I started de-tensioning.

Jim

Back