Wanted: Starrett Bandsaw Tension Gauge Instructions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedArcher1968

Reaction score
Hi All

As the title indicates, I’m looking for instructions on using the Starrett 682EM Bandsaw tension gauge.

I’ve looked on Starrett’s website and found a features and specification sheet but not really instructions to use.

I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos, one or two displaying the Starrett tension gauge, and they say “pre-load” it with about 1/2 dial of tension, before tightening the final screw and then zeroing it out

Not sure if I’m I making sense? 😵‍💫
But if you have instructions or advice I’ll be grateful.

Regards
RedArcher

We used a Lenox one on this renovation
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/threads/scm-minimax-s45-bandsaw-teardown-overhaul.135069/page-6
They are a simple device. They measure stretch in the blade between the 2 pinch points. There's a 3:1 lever to magnify the stretch and the dial gauge measures strain but displays directly as psi to save you having to do the maths.

I'd want to take out any slack in the mechanism and the dial gauge and the blade but not put any stretch in the blade before zeroing. On carbon steel blades the tension is only a half turn of the dial indicator.

The psi depends on the blade steel. M42 can be tensioned significantly more than carbon steel.

111478-IMG-20220226-WA0006.jpg

It was a loaner and I didn't keep a copy of the instructions.

Maybe this will be helpful with the Starrett.

I looked up the Starrett. It works on exactly the same concept as the Lenox.
Here's an official Lenox video on how to use theirs.

Just follow that.
Note that they take up slack by pulling on the moveable jaw slightly before tightening that clamping screw. They do not pre tension the blade as that would cause a reading error.

Clamp onto the blade using the screws at each end. Turn the dial to set to zero. Add tension until the dial measures the required tension.

The orientation of the dial will make it obvious which is the top and which is the bottom.

I always clamp the fixed end first and the floating end second.

It will also works if clamped to a tensioned blade, and then the tension removed to show the level of tension that was on the blade

Thank You: Sideways, Tom & Bill for your responses. Thanks Sideways for the video and instructions.

I purchased the following blades from TuffSaws where would I find the tension information for each blade. Should I go back to TuffSaws?

Attachments

• IMG_0657.jpeg
    IMG_0657.jpeg
    328.5 KB · Views: 0
When I asked Ian at tuffsaws before:

Hi Tom

With the gauge the tension should be around the 20 – 25000 psi for M42 blades and 17 – 20000 psi for carbon based blades.
All the best
Ian”

Back