Bandsaw Blade Help

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joints

Established Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about buying a certain Wadkin DR bandsaw but do no know what blades it takes.

It has 30" wheel with a throat of 28".

Does anyone know what sort/size of blades this machine can take?

Thanks, george

Better late than never, eh George!! :D

With regards to calculating blade length, here's some text Ian John sent me some time ago:

1. Adjust the wheels to their correct position (about the middle of the adjustment range)

2. Referring to the diagram below, measure the distance between the centre point of each wheel in mm. (measurement D)

3. Now measure the radius of each wheel in mm. (R1 and R2)

4. Use this formula to calculate the band length from the measurements you have taken:
Band length = (R1 x 3.1416) + (R2 x 3.1416) + (2 x D)

For maximum width, look at the width of the tyres when you get the saw... If the tyres and 1" wide then, you'd be looking at a maximum of ¾" wide blades - I think that's how it works, anyway. You shouldn't have any trouble tensioning a wide blade on that old Wadkin! :wink: Minimum width would generally be 6mm. If you've got wooden guides (which won't ruin the teeth) then you may even be able to use a 3mm wide blade, if ever you really wanted! :)

I have loads of brand new blades that fit a large wadkin bandsaw that I dont need anymore. If you work out the size let me know and if they are the same we could maybe do a deal.

Jon

Latest posts

Back