Bandsaw blade advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plymouth pirate

Established Member
Reaction score
What bi-metal blade?

I'm sawing 5" teak and the standard Record blades are lasting no time at all and although I have no experience of them and they seem to be at least thre times as expensive, bi-metal blades seem to be the way to go.

The machine is a 350 model with a 3/4" blade capacity. I understand that you should not use the maximum size for extended use and though there seems to be many 3/8" blades available I can find no 5/8" and assume that 1/2" is what I will need to order.

Spent some time looking at various suppliers, but I'm really not sure what is what.

Would appreciate any advice from your experiences.

Thanks.

John

Try Axcaliber blades from Axminster,I have no problems with these and I cut brass and copper.Record blades just aren`t worth the money.

The key factor here is that you're cutting 5in. thick teak, which is going to dull many blades in no time at all (as you've discovered). Bi-metal blades could be the way to go; even an M42 blade, as has been suggested by tekno.mage.

I think your best bet would be to ring one of these companies (like Trucut), tell them you're cutting 5in. teak and ask for their advice. :wink:

Thanks for your help all.

M42 seems to be the way to go but phoning the suppliers first also makes a lot of sense.

Regards

John

Hi John
I have been cutting/resawing some reclaimed 5" Teak over a number of years and have found M42 blades the only ones to last any reasonable time, plus with the oily nature of the wood they they cut extremely well and do not strain the saw
I use 1/2" 3TPI,

They are expensive I paid nearly £40 each for my last 2 after you factor in the carriage of £9,

Cheers Nigel

Nigel":dplxqa2a said:
They are expensive I paid nearly £40 each for my last 2 after you factor in the carriage of £9,

Cheers Nigel

:shock: :shock: :shock: . Shop around Nigel they aren't that much dearer than ordinary blades. And don't pay Axminsters price :shock:

Nigel, thanks for that, where did you get them from?

ProShop, Any recommendations of suppliers with more reasonable costs than Nigel paid?

Regards

John

Hi John
I did shop around but at that price I wanted blades I had tried and tested which were Dakin & Flathers, they have in stock the 3tpi blades which a lot of others don't,
They do not sell direct to the puplic but put me onto Guildford Tool Supplies Ltd who are trade suppliers who arranged for the blades to be sent direct to me the next day,
they also did a deal on the carriage charges for 2 blades

GTS phone No 01483 480000

Cheers Nigel

Definitely agree on the 3tpi thing, I managed to talk EPS into making some 1/2" 3tpi material for us (here) and they have sold like hot cakes. I'm not sure how we compare on price with the others -usually better for larger machines than small ones - but UK shipping is free.

I have a Dakin Flathers 3/4" 3tpi M42 in at the minute and it's superb, also paid about 40 quid (for a 3.6m blade)

Thanks again for all your help.

Sorry for not replying yesterday but was preparing the home for a 9.30 viewing this morning then at 9.15 was told it was off. :twisted:

Anyway, I think I'll give the Dakin & Flathers blade a go and perhaps also the one from Workshop Heaven. I've a lot of teak to play with and know, that however good the blade, I'll eventually need more than one.

Regards

John

hi john

I recently bought my axminster 4300 band saw which was second hand with only a bog standard 1/2 blade to it , i took the advice from other member here and bought various size one's of the M42 from axminster not cheap mind, but brill, strange thing when i fitted the first the 3/4 size the machine also seemed to me to run a lot quieter as well, why Idon't know .hc

Hi, HC.

I've the Record 350, which takes max 3/4" blades, which I've been using. But, I did read somewhere, almost certainly on this forum, that you should not use the max size for extended work. Is your m/c rated the same?.

Regards

John

hi john

mine will take a 1" blade max , I'm not aware that my machine is rated like that , there are load here on the forum that use the same machine as mine if any one that has one id appreciate any info on that please .hc

Hi John,
I would be interested to know what you decide. I have a Record 350S - Length = 2630mm = 103.5". I also need to do some resawing, Oak in my case. I was thinking of an M42 blade. Thing is I am not far from you, up near the Trago Mills at Newton Abbot so may be interested in a larger order and split the postage. PM me if you are interested.

I was thinking of a 3/4" blade though. I think the issue of blade size is probably more relevant to smaller bandsaws, no specific knowledge there just a view. I have recently used the saw to resaw some 50mm thick cedar with a 3/4" Yandles supplied blade, the blade isn't up to much and if I fed a bit too fast the saw did slow a bit.

Hi, Mike.

Just a little too late, ordered one from Workshop Heaven this afternoon for £42 inc. postage.

Will let you know how I get on when I get it.

Was looking at a place close to you in Bickington, 500sq/ft workshop and a garage not much smaller. Trouble is my place is not moving and SWIMBO says the bedrooms are too small anyway.

Sod the bedrooms says I. But she's adamant. :cry:

Regards. John.

I can't say from experience in that while i've just received a selection to try out i've not used them yet - but Timberwolf blades have an excellent reputation as being something special on the US side of the Atlantic.

The manufacturer Suffolk Machinery in the US is here http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/ - they were technically excellent to deal with and very helpful. The guy i spoke to was Tom Davies.

They do band mill blades which while probably much heavier duty than what you need means they know about heavy duty, high throughput band sawing: http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/1_2_blades.asp - unlike a supplier intent on selling a third party's generic blade range come what may.

They do bi-metal, cobalt and carbide tipped blades too, and there's quite a lot of info on the site....

Latest posts

Back