B & Q wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been looking around B & Q at there wood and they are selling loads of soft wood on offer, it looks alright to me.
Can anyone tell me what wood it is from what tree or country.
They seem to have a lot of it in stock and I must admit I have brought some.

Ah, dem probly de famous Chinee banana pine! :wink:

Reg, step away from the pine! There's nothing to see here, move on!

In all seriousness, it's usually total rubbish, I binned/chopped/burnt a whole load I bought for a project, if i watched it closely enough i'm sure I could have actually seen it move into the weird and wonderful shapes that it turned into.

If you want good price pine, give your local builders merchants a call, you'll get much better stuff than B&Q.

I used pine studwork from Wickes for a project - Found about a dozen peices out of each pile of 100+ that were actually straight. Made 7 wardrobe doors. I left the timber it to its own devices for a number of weeks before final sizing and it was quite successful. Did'nt twist or warp although the panels shrank a bit as expected.
Their ready made panels are plastic wrapped and keep the moisture content high so shrink like hell - I would'nt use them unless you can store them long enough to dry out.

In my experience the worst of all is Wickes - they're a nightmare.

I always call it "Wonky Wood" because it's never, ever straight!! Even their plywood is all over the place.

B&Q are usually sllightly better, but still worth avoiding if you can...

How cheap is cheap, anyway... :oops:

It iz great wood if you are making propellors! If not avoid it like the plague. As has been mentioned it is cr*p. :evil:

Actually, if you go to the B&Q warehouses, they usually have a timber yard at the trade end, and its pretty good quality. It's generally the stuff that's banded, shrink wrapped and cut to 1.8m 2.1m or 2.4m thats rubbish, usually whitewood or inferior grade redwood.
The stuff at the trade counter, while mixed in with the bundled stuff, is usualy pretty good quality redwood, mostly fifths from what i've seen and used, and about the same price as the local timber merchant I use, but not the size range. Mostly 1x or 2x stock, PAR/PSE.

Andy

Back