Axminster visit + overpriced chopping boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fergal

Established Member
Reaction score
After a weekend away in Devon camping, I decided to visit the Axminster shop (in Axminster) on the way home. After much moaning from wife + kids about the detour, we get to Axminster town and the shop is shut! Gutted. What kind of a tool shop doesn't open on Sundays?! I should have checked beforehand I suppose.

Anyway, as we were there and needed a drink, we decided to visit Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's River Cottage cafe. I was expecting an over-priced tourist trap, and was not disappointed on that front, however what amazed me was some cheese/chopping boards that were for sale there. For example what looked like a reclaimed Ash board approx 18" x 8" x 1", roughly shaped, sanded and with a ribbon tied round it was priced at £24!

Does anybody actually buy this stuff at those prices?

Cheers

Fergal

Is ash a good wood for chopping boards, the big pores can't be ideal.

Axminster open on Sundays really wouldn't help my bank balance. Would make planning trips there much easier though!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Fergal":fck4vquj said:
I was expecting an over-priced tourist trap, and was not disappointed on that front,
Not my experience. I've eaten at the River Cottage Canteen quite a few times and always been very impressed. Good high quality food, fairly priced. By most restaurant standards the wine list in particular is a bargain. HF-W has moaned about excessive drinks mark ups in other restaurants for years, so keeps his prices very fair.

to repeat old arguments though...

It isnt a pallet on wheels, it is a coffee table. For a coffee table that is reasonably unique, it is probably reasonably priced- probably last just as long as something similarly priced from Ikea, and wont suddenly appear on an Oak Furniture Land advert. They are not trying to sell to us, they are selling to an end user.

Went for factory tour 2 weeks ago (reasonabley priced at a total of £5 for 2 adults and a child) and saw this in the shop.

Cant post link but goto www<dot>emmabridgewater<dot>co<dot>uk/invt/1wdn011589

'OW MUCH!! said the Yorkshire man.

Melvb":121gxubb said:
Went for factory tour 2 weeks ago (reasonabley priced at a total of £5 for 2 adults and a child) and saw this in the shop.

Cant post link but goto www<dot>emmabridgewater<dot>co<dot>uk/invt/1wdn011589

'OW MUCH!! said the Yorkshire man.

Don't panic: You need to post just text a few more times before the system will let you put up URLs and images.

Regards,

E.

Back