Axminster machine reviews

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shane

Established Member
Reaction score
Afnoon all.

A while back I purchased a few axi machines. The reason I went for their stuff was initially because of their competitive pricing, close proximity, and their renowned customer service.

I paid them a visit and had a good look at the machines I was interested in to make sure they felt right. Getting a good deal was straight forward, and was offered a good discount because of the nature of the purchase, so no haggling required.

I must emphasize how good their service was, from the moment I walked into the shop up until delivery, the communication was spot on.

Items bought...

AW12BSB2 Saw bench

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... 714895.htm

AW128PT P/T

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... 810327.htm

AW19FM morticer

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... 369280.htm

AWEDE Extractor

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axmi ... 376272.htm

The AW12BSB2 Saw bench...

Saw1.jpg

Saw2.jpg

Saw3.jpg

Assembly was relatively straight forward, thanks to the clear instructions. Two people is definitely required because the cast tops are pretty lumpy.

Once assembled I checked everything was calibrated and level/square. Upon inspection I discovered that the size increments on both the sliding table fence (extension piece doesn't tally with main section for repeat stop cuts) and the rip fence are very dubious, made worse by the fuzzy magnified site on the rip fence. This will be replaced by a flat piece of clear plastic at some point.

The next issue discovered was upon ripping down a reasonable amount of Ash. The saw tilt lock on mine simply doesn't work, which I believe is more down to a bad design rather then an individual machine fault. Even when the machine wasn't under load I was able to watch the angle marker make it's way along the scale, and settle at three degrees. I checked everything was tight which made no difference. I believe the tilt locking knob needs a much bigger washer to apply more pressure on the saw cabinet face. I wasn't happy with just fitting a bigger washer, so went for the belt and brace option...

Saw4.jpg

Saw5.jpg

Saw6.jpg

Saw7.jpg

With that issue sorted, my next mission was to make it more simple to remove the sliding table fence without the hassle of lifting off the table each time I wanted to switch from cross cut to ripping.

I drilled the bolt access holes out a bit larger, and fitted two 80mm x 8mm SS capheads with two nuts with their hex edges ground off to clear the internal webbing. It is now much quicker to remove.

Saw8.jpg

Saw9.jpg

Saw10.jpg

Saw11.jpg

Once the sliding fence is removed, I wanted to lock the table so I used one of the brackets used on the delivery pallets...

Saw12.jpg

Saw13.jpg

and I fitted a metal tray for the tools (donated by my Fathers titan saw table)

Saw14.jpg

Overall I am very, very happy with this saw, even with the niggles. As noted by others the cast table has a small dip in the middle, but I don't see an issue with this. It is very capable, ripping down 2" Ash no probs at all (with a CMT rip blade). The rip fence itself is excellent, I love the way it locks front and back of the table. It is relatively quiet, and the finish is pretty good considering its price. I would recommend this saw (and no doubt similar looking clones) to anyone, just be prepared to have a bit of a fettle.

AW128PT P/T...

PT1.jpg

PT2.jpg

PT3.jpg

The only problem we had with this one was weight! we used an engine hoist to get it off the pallet because there was no space between the machine and pallet to get a forklift into.

Assembly required was minimal, only fitting the guard and fence, which was good as the instructions for it were the worst chinglish I've come across!

As far as performance goes, this machine is excellent, thicknessing the afore mention Ash (half of it was 11" wide) with ease, giving a very good finish, and calibration remained true throughout the job. I'm glad they stuck with an alu fence on this one opposed to the cast upgrade on the smaller version, or it would be a right nuisance taking on/off

not much more to say on this one really, just very pleased with it.

AW19FM morticer...

M1.jpg

Again, assembly was minimal, only requiring fitment of the chisel and length stops

This machine is accurate, and plenty powerful enough for what I need, and build quality is good. not much more to say, it does what it says on the tin, job jobbed!

AWEDE Extractor

Ex1.jpg

More assembly required on this one, but had thorough instructions so no probs.

Suction is plenty for the machines above, just requiring a quick light vacuum of each machine after each big job. Again build quality is fine.

So overall, A big well done to axminster, brilliant value for very capable machines 8)

Wow, you've got nearly as many White machines in there as Axminster's own workshop!! :D :wink:

Great stuff, thanks for taking the time to give us all your initial impressions. Will you be updating or adding to this thread in future, as you learn more about these new tools?

I'm surprised there isn't a feature to lock the sliding table on that saw - I thought that was standard on these kind of machines? Otherwise, when you're a wide board, it drags the table along with it! :x :) I think Mr.Ed recently bought the same model so, it would be interesting to see whether he has similar issues with the blade tilt lock.

Hi Olly,

Yes mate, I'll keep this thread updated as and when I get to know them better - good or bad

I was surprised that it didn't have a sliding bed lock as well, the previous saw I had use of (Hammer K3) had a spring bolt that you engaged with a half turn. I would like to fit something along those lines in the future, but will be a little more difficult with the solid bed (the Hammer had a telescopic arm and frame arrangement). I may just settle for fitting plastic knobs rather than the capheads. I assume they don't fit a lock because the fence isn't designed to be taken off quickly, relying on the user to remove the sliding table each time, which is a right PITA, and doesn't help with wide boards.

I'd also be very interested if others had the same issue with the tilt lock, not only with the axi, but also the SIPs and Kitys. Maybe I should have got hold of Axi, but I needed a quick fix, and I'm not sure what they would have been able to suggest.

Some small updates...

Having used the saw a little more, some observations and mods

The problem with the fuzzy magnifier on the rip fence scale was easily rectified, by turning it upside down which makes the markers look smaller!

another minor issue is the alu table insert is a fraction low so the workpiece sometimes knocks into the the rear edge and gets stuck, so this will be shimmed up at some point.

I also felt the sliding table was a little short for my liking, so I extended it with a piece of kitchen worktop and some abw offcuts, and at the same time I sorted the locking table with a very high tec mechanism :lol:

saw15.jpg

saw16.jpg

saw17.jpg

saw18.jpg

Thats wierd. Its like looking at my shop as all machines are exactly the same except mine are blue (fox) apart from the table saw, thats the same. :D :D

Love the sliding table modifications. Got any more machines yet, I feel a workshop tour could be good by now!

Yes the table saw does have some small niggles but having had mine for sometime it is well worth it. Shane I fitted a wixey digital scale for the fence. Pics were on my blog.

All the best

Chems - I haven't bought anything since this batch, but there is more to come eventually, I have got by for the last two years without a spindle moulder and it's doing my head in. I also want a belt/disc sander, plunge saw and guide rails, and a scms dropped flush into a long bench with integrated fence to make cutting/trenching bigger stuff easier. Also on the list is a white collapsable spray booth (4 sided gazebo), infeed/outfeed roller tables etc etc you get the idea, I don't think there is ever I time when a workshop is complete :lol:

I will do a workshop tour when I think it is appropriate though

Malcolm - cheers, I'll have a look...

Blimey, old profile and thread resurrectorino! Is there a Pete Williams in the house? here are those pics you are after, if you need any more info give me a shout 8)

Attached to the existing sliding table is the Axminster sliding table designed for the spindle moulder WS1000TA

edit: Just looked on Axminster site and it seems that sliding table is no longer available :(

DSC_1080.JPG

DSC_1081.JPG

DSC_1082.JPG

Attachments

• DSC_1080.JPG
    DSC_1080.JPG
    253.1 KB · Views: 2,043
  • DSC_1081.JPG
    DSC_1081.JPG
    235.7 KB · Views: 2,045
  • DSC_1082.JPG
    DSC_1082.JPG