Visited the Axminster shop for the first time...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

YorkshireMartin

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever been to a shop like that in my life outside of north america. Such wonderous gadgets and machines all around. Before I even left i was trying to spot other shops nearby that my wife likes so we could make a return visit. I came up with Decathlon, what do you reckon my chances are?

The problem with these places is they make your wallet moan in distress, it doesn't even matter how much you spend, things still keep calling your name from all directions. The Lie Nielsen concession was almost an erotic experience, I could hear myself thinking "silence, foul temptress" and hurriedly shuffled on past. Even the clamping section deserved attention and don't get me started on the router tables and accessories. UKJ stuff is really nice, which surprised me, although I'm not sure why.

Unfortunately I succumbed to temptation and bought a domino xl. It's been on the cards for a while as I've got a few festool things but now the big difference is, an investment like that has to be made to pay because it's all about productivity for me. I've had 18 months of practice and pissing about, now the real work starts. I hope I can make a go of it.

In the mean time, I will continue to drool on further visits to the Axminster shop.

If like me you've always shopped on line, I highly recommend a visit, it's really quite great.

Bonus update: My wife saw me tinkering about making test joints with the domino and said, I quote "oh wow thats brilliant isnt it". She knows how hard it is to M&T by hand, having been present when I've had a chisel and mallet in my hand and listening to me turning the air blue on occasion. She even picked up a couple of scraps of wood I'd jointed and started testing to see if they were flush. Unexpected.

Oh Oh !, trust me it's a slippery slope. I introduced a friend of mine to Axminster, now it seems whenever we go and drool over tools, it has become a competition of who can make the other one spend the most .....

I never knew I needed so many shiny things....

I'm in the lucky position of having one in this ere town I call home.
it's a great place, but I have to limit myself to 1 visit ever few years, or else the garage would be full and the wallet would be empty. it's been a few years though, so maybe I'll be allowed another visit soon, I need a morticer bit after all, oh and the morticer to go with it, and the planer to make sure the pieces are true before hand. and the thicknesser to get the stock correctly prepped, and a new table saw to replace the old one, and you can never have to many clamps and I could do with a...............

damn it, guess I'm not ready for another visit yet after all. :(

It's not the only place that dangles extreme temptation.

There's a camera shop in Manhattan where they have everything in stock, and let you try out anything you want to. You can pick up a $30,000 lens and play with it, and they don't stand over you as if you're about to make a dash for the door, either.

Very hard to go away from there empty-handed, too, although my usual assessment is "it's better, but not $29,500 better." So I buy my memory cards there :)

E.

YorkshireMartin":39izk5yp said:

but now the big difference is, an investment like that has to be made to pay because it's all about productivity for me. I've had 18 months of practice and pissing about, now the real work starts. I hope I can make a go of it.

Great stuff, if it all works out it just gets better and better, powertools become nearly disposable as such and certainly hold no appeal. The really excitement comes when the 4 sider turns up, a big speed sander or panel saw etc etc

B&H me thinks.
Great shop but closed Saturday's and Friday afternoons - as I've found to my cost!
They will ship to UK too. A few years back, when the £ was strong, their goods were cheaper even allowing for shipping costs.

Rod

Axminster is very good for online purchases - just £1 postage for items under £50. Mind you, I imagine they get some of it back in the price.

John

I've only been twice as it's about an hour away from me, but totally agree, amazing shop. The first time I went in I had such a big smile on my face, I had to pretend I was looking at something funny on my phone.

When I used to work in retail (Maplins), you would often get people who would come down every 2-3 weeks and would spend hours looking around, I always found it a bit odd. But now I understand as I would do the same thing in the Axminster stores :p

What I really like is the way they split things up by brands. So you have a Makita section, a Bosch section, a festool section etc etc. Makes it easy to keep yourself fromt he Festool stuff :p

I do get a little worried though as my store is rather large and is pretty much empty each time I've visited (saturday afternoons) :(

I'm going to try to arrange my next visit inline with one of their demonstrations.

transatlantic":23zprxia said:
When I used to work in retail (Maplins), you would often get people who would come down every 2-3 weeks and would spend hours looking around, I always found it a bit odd.
That is an accepted part of the treatment for escaping the nerdery, mixing with the populace, in stages. Step 1, Maplins, step 2, hanging with some goths on a street corner culminating in step 3, trying to make conversation in a launderette waiting area.

All shops have wishful geeks with short arms and deep pockets. Giving them nicknames is what keeps the shopkeeper mentally alert during the long boring days.
i know, I had a shop for 4 years, and many a customer would have got the right hump if they had found out their nicknames.
Now you just have to guess yours.

Ian down london way":8tqb824i said:
I've not visited any of their sites as yet, but I know they have more than one. How do they compare?

I've only been to the HQ shop at Axminster and to Basingstoke. Both are great but Axminster is bigger and better (two floors) as you might expect.

Never left either without spending lots!

Jim

Eh I frequent Maplin and Axminster........... :oops: but best of all is the gates of the timber yard I use, I could sit there all day with a picnic just smelling the fresh cut timber!!!

Stew

YorkshireMartin":sw0vgwh9 said:
Unfortunately I succumbed to temptation and bought a domino xl.

Hope you got a good deal on it, they're not always that competitive, although good to browse around !

Where in Yorkshire are you Martin? Have you ever been to Snainton? You can promise your wife a day out in Scarborough, it's on the way.
Not as slick as Axminster I agree but worth the trip.

Back