Visited the Axminster shop for the first time...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wuffles":10tw17ya said:
RickN":10tw17ya said:
novocaine":10tw17ya said:
you think the Maplin was odd, work in a bike shop.

I can beat that one, try a Model shop.

:D
Games Workshop?
Been there, done that and burned the company approved T-shirt. They may have improved over the 20+ years since I left... but I'd be surprised. #notbitter #liarliarpantsonfire

No mate, plastic kits mainly, but I did deal with the evil empire from time to time.
We even sold dare i say it "model railways......."

Eric The Viking":jpy76sek said:
It's not the only place that dangles extreme temptation.

There's a camera shop in Manhattan where they have everything in stock, and let you try out anything you want to. You can pick up a $30,000 lens and play with it, and they don't stand over you as if you're about to make a dash for the door, either.

Very hard to go away from there empty-handed, too, although my usual assessment is "it's better, but not $29,500 better." So I buy my memory cards there :)

E.

I think I know the shop you mean. Does it start with a B? I'm heavily into my photography so thats the kind of place I'd be visiting if I go to NY

yorkshirepudding":1kb9phec said:
Where in Yorkshire are you Martin? Have you ever been to Snainton? You can promise your wife a day out in Scarborough, it's on the way.
Not as slick as Axminster I agree but worth the trip.

Sounds like the perfect excuse....."oh look honey theres a woodworking shop, since were passing do you mind if we pop in". Ding.

Wuffles":2alrtml9 said:
RickN":2alrtml9 said:
novocaine":2alrtml9 said:
you think the Maplin was odd, work in a bike shop.

I can beat that one, try a Model shop.

:D
Games Workshop?

:D :D nothing truer said, the smell of BO and gents with loooooooonnnnng ponytails always struck me as being odd in GM shops. Real model shops are so much better :D :D :D

oh, and then gun shops that have tweed geeks aren't much better as they all turn round and give you evils if you ask what airguns pellets they sell. 'Oh, what type of gun does your son have' or 'cartridges for you Sir, oh YOU wanted the pellets, never mind' and then looks down his nose :twisted: :twisted: ......dom

Maplins is fine if you know what you want and they have it in stock. The staff don't seem to be knowledgeable in our local store, at least not the ones I have spoken to. As with everywhere else, its the pressure of tight margins :/

Maplins is sort of the B&Q of electrical tat I think.

Cinimod":2qkkq339 said:
oh, and then gun shops that have tweed geeks aren't much better as they all turn round and give you evils if you ask what airguns pellets they sell. 'Oh, what type of gun does your son have' or 'cartridges for you Sir, oh YOU wanted the pellets, never mind' and then looks down his nose :twisted: :twisted: ......dom

Gun shops here are awful no matter what you have on your ticket. In the UK it all feels so sworded and dirty. Complete contrast to most other countries where it's actually a pleasant experience and the staff can't do enough and you can demo things on the in store range etc.

Honestly, I'd feel more comfortable buying an inflatable doll than I do a rifle.

The range isn't much better, at least the last few I've been members of. there are always a couple of nice folk but most of them are in a nice tight little click and don't want to let anyone else in. could also be because I out shoot most of them with a 1022 and peeps borrowed from the club. :)

we have a gun shop over here that's fantastic to be honest, it's in an old pub, the folks behind the counter are all young but knowledgeable and super friendly, they have a corner for the tweed wearer (a big corner, by the fire place) a spot for the air boys (which these day's I am one of) and a whole section for the long stuff and the loud stuff. McAvoys in Wigan.

anyways, back to Axminister, the staff there all seem pretty switched on. father in law bought a new plane, nothing special, think it was one of there own brand. bloke behind the counter took it out, gave it a good looking over, swapped it for a different one and gave the blade a tickle for him. can't argue with that really.

YorkshireMartin":2c8524sm said:
Maplins is fine if you know what you want and they have it in stock. The staff don't seem to be knowledgeable in our local store, at least not the ones I have spoken to. As with everywhere else, its the pressure of tight margins :/

Maplins is sort of the B&Q of electrical tat I think.

It's changed a lot over the years. Less electronics based ... more general stuff now. Still a good place for a nose around though :)

As for the staff, you'll definately get at least a few knowledgeable people, you just have to figure out which ones they are, and then always go back to them when you visit. When I worked there, we didn't get any training what so ever. You were pretty much expected to learn on the job. Luckily, I have always had an interest in that kind of stuff, so knew a lot already. Having said that, I really enjoyed working there.

When you walk through the door, that thump thump thump noise you hear could be the air-conditioning ... or they could be getting sploo's new lathe ready for delivery.

Axminster HQ is nice but I loved the old shop which was a rambling Aladdin's cave which only one of the Styles brothers could fathom. Seem to remember floor to ceiling shelves around the perimeter all loaded with goodies also I think everyone who worked there was a budding wood worker which helped no end.

Oh lord listen to me harking back to good old days. When did I get old haha

I paid my first ever visit to an Axminstsr store last Saturday while staying with relatives in Cardiff. Really enjoyed the experience. I had a chat with a woodturner who was demonstrating segmented turning. Also had an interesting chat with two Axminster employees, one a very helpful young lady who had been demonstrating scroll sawing (missed the actual demonstration though, unfortunately) and the other a gentleman demonstrating pyrography.

I must have spent a few hours there and bought a few goodies but didn't dent my wallet too much. Perhaps next time.

K

The Cardiff store is only 10 minutes away. Have had to limit myself to 1 visit a month or when I order over the phone and get it delivered in store.

Don't mind paying a little more on smaller items but I shop around for higher end stuff.

Their customer service in the Cardiff store is fantastic.

transatlantic":11cy8tu8 said:
When I used to work in retail (Maplins), you would often get people who would come down every 2-3 weeks and would spend hours looking around, I always found it a bit odd. But now I understand as I would do the same thing in the Axminster stores :p

I used to work in Maplin too! Which store were you in? Totally understand where you're coming from, I often found it a strange behaviour but then I walk into a woodworking store and I do the same!

I do wish we had an Axminster store over here in Northern Ireland. Used to love machine mart when I lived in Scotland but we don't even have them across here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slemishwoodcrafts":jxmtjryl said:
transatlantic":jxmtjryl said:
When I used to work in retail (Maplins), you would often get people who would come down every 2-3 weeks and would spend hours looking around, I always found it a bit odd. But now I understand as I would do the same thing in the Axminster stores :p

I used to work in Maplin too! Which store were you in? Totally understand where you're coming from, I often found it a strange behaviour but then I walk into a woodworking store and I do the same!

I do wish we had an Axminster store over here in Northern Ireland. Used to love machine mart when I lived in Scotland but we don't even have them across here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I worked in one the Cardiff stores.

I've done a 420 mile round trip to the Axminster Axminster in the summer for the last 2 or 3 years. I find it worthwhile. It also makes visiting the Lyme Bay Winery worthwhile for a bottle or two of apple brandy. It makes the annual (free) holiday to the sis-in-laws near Honiton worthwhile also. Mostly.
I try not to think about the money we saved on a paid holiday somewhere reliably sunny with cocktails swimming pools and beautiful women in bikinis lounging about while I'm in there generally shaking the rain of my waterproof jacket and drying my glasses on my jumper so I can actually for the first 3 days....
'Oh that's shiny. Oh so's that. And that. That's shiny as well. I wonder where these stairs lead to... A WHOLE OTHER FLOOR OF SHINY! Wait why am I dribbling?
:|

Bm101":1qzrluq9 said:
I've done a 420 mile round trip to the Axminster Axminster in the summer for the last 2 or 3 years. I find it worthwhile. It also makes visiting the Lyme Bay Winery worthwhile for a bottle or two of apple brandy. It makes the annual (free) holiday to the sis-in-laws near Honiton worthwhile also. Mostly.
I try not to think about the money we saved on a paid holiday somewhere reliably sunny with cocktails swimming pools and beautiful women in bikinis lounging about while I'm in there generally shaking the rain of my waterproof jacket and drying my glasses on my jumper so I can actually for the first 3 days....
'Oh that's shiny. Oh so's that. And that. That's shiny as well. I wonder where these stairs lead to... A WHOLE OTHER FLOOR OF SHINY! Wait why am I dribbling?
:|
:D Our nearest store is in Wycombe. Have you been to that one too? Very helpful and friendly staff I must say.

I follow Mr Pete 222 on YouTube for his instructions on metalworking and turning. A while back he posted this video of a visit to the Grizzly Tools store in Springfield. It's not great video technically (he's just walking round with his phone) but I thought it was an interesting insight into the huge scale of retail store that is viable in the USA.

https://youtu.be/HIWMQ4g1UZ0

What exactly is the luggage weight limit on planes nowadays Andy? :D
Slight digression... I used to fly out to Guernsey to do rope access work. I'm an international window cleaner doncha know. Think James Bond lifestyle and you're about there. If people don't know you can book your luggage in as sports equipment and bump up your weight limit for a smaller fee than the excess luggage fee. Might be a handy tip for someone out there.

Memzey, once a year is enough mate!

Regards as always
Chris

Also good to visit as they might have the most recent tools, innovations that one might not be aware of otherwise.
Might be an idea to visit but leave the credit cards at home.
I've seen the Grizzly stores, only online, with rows and rows of Powermatic type stuff. I start dribbling.

Back