Axminster prices

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ivan

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought a second hand Axi trade air cleaning filter, a rebadged generic Chiwanese item. Thus I had cause to look at new prices on line. Axminster, 2pence under £400 ic VAT; Scott and Sargeant £282 inc VAT. Hmmm...

They’ve been very expensive for a long time Ivan particularly when most of their own brand gear is generic Chinese stuff.
They used to be well regarded for their customer service but that also seems to have gone by the wayside. A friend who runs a joinery workshop has just been told a spare part for one of their professional machines will be 180 days delivery, what use is that to a company dependent on their machinery to make a living. He won’t be buying any more of their machinery that’s for sure.

"They’ve been very expensive for a long time" - I see they've just emailed me about a BOGOF (buy one get one free) offer on clamps. But it seems they're saying

Buy a clamp then get a cheaper clamp free when you do so.

To my mind, BOGOF means, eg, buy a Rolls Royce and get a free Rolls Royce, not buy a Rolls Royce and get a free Dacia.

No disrespect to Dacia, of course. Or have I misinterpreted their offer? Anyone else feeling insulted?

"They’ve been very expensive for a long time" - I see they've just emailed me about a BOGOF (buy one get one free) offer on clamps. But it seems they're saying

Buy a clamp then get a cheaper clamp free when you do so.

To my mind, BOGOF means, eg, buy a Rolls Royce and get a free Rolls Royce, not buy a Rolls Royce and get a free Dacia.

No disrespect to Dacia, of course. Or have I misinterpreted their offer? Anyone else feeling insulted?
Think they are saying you can’t buy a Dacia and get a rolls for free, but you can buy a Dacia and get a Dacia free or buy a rolls and get a rolls free

One thing I have found with Axminster is if buying small items it often works out cheaper buying them from their eBay page than their own website.

Although on eBay the items are lightly more expensive they don't charge for postage which they on small orders on their website. So it often works out lower on eBay.

In 2017 I bought my tablesaw from Woodford Tooling in Stockport, I forget the name of the manufacturer now, they are basically a Delta Unisaw, the same ones sold by Powermatic with a different coat of paint. 3hp, superb saw, bit much for a home workshop really. £1640 including pallet delivery. Woodford had been importing & selling them all over Europe for years.

Fast forward to 2019, a friend wanted to get one but they’d disappeared off Woodford’s site. Emailed them, the reply was they were no longer able to import them, Axminster had signed an exclusive deal with the manufacturer. Only difference being the new price, £3200, and you didn’t get the full cast table, one side was just pressed steel.

I’m afraid that’s the name of the game.

If I had the time over again, I’d probably get the Bosch contractors saw and build it into a suitable table, they are very good indeed. Not that I’m complaining about mine, I was just lucky to get it when I did.

In 2017 I bought my tablesaw from Woodford Tooling in Stockport, I forget the name of the manufacturer now, they are basically a Delta Unisaw, the same ones sold by Powermatic with a different coat of paint. 3hp, superb saw, bit much for a home workshop really. £1640 including pallet delivery. Woodford had been importing & selling them all over Europe for years.

Fast forward to 2019, a friend wanted to get one but they’d disappeared off Woodford’s site. Emailed them, the reply was they were no longer able to import them, Axminster had signed an exclusive deal with the manufacturer. Only difference being the new price, £3200, and you didn’t get the full cast table, one side was just pressed steel.

I’m afraid that’s the name of the game.

If I had the time over again, I’d probably get the Bosch contractors saw and build it into a suitable table, they are very good indeed. Not that I’m complaining about mine, I was just lucky to get it when I did.
I have a lot of non trade Axminster equipment most work reasonably well after some setup work/modifications and occasionally replaced when not without any issues.
I have always assumed Axminster may sell ten of the same machines as they are supplied to them.
Seven are fine
Two are rectified with minor faults by the customer
One has to be exchanged usually fairly quickly by Axminster which is the repaired and sold off a bit cheaper.
Most of their stuff was a bit cheaper and no quibble exchange makes its viable business model?
If the non trade sales fall and suppliers charges go up and customers become fussier costs will have to go up.

To me it sounds like Axminster have confused a 'two for the price of one' offer (where you can buy two different items but only pay for one of them - usually the more expensive item) with a 'buy one get one free' offer (where you buy two identical items but only pay for one of them). Take it up with Axminster.

Edited to correct my muddled thinking - unfortunately all too common these days!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back