Warning all APF10 Axminster Powered Respirator users??

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought my APF10 Axminster Powered Respirator about a month ago thinking it would protect me from all MDF and exotic hardwood dust... however I just read a post on a Facebook woodturning group which made me wonder. I've copied and pasted the post below...

"AXMINSTER APF10 EVOLUTION POWERED RESPIRATOR...

If you own one, or are interested in one, it might be useful to read this.

A month or so ago, someone commented on here to say they WEREN'T buying the Evo helmet as it wasn't suitable for hardwoods or MDF. I bought it believing it was, and have got to the bottom of it (with a shock) this week.

The Axminster Evo is a 'JSP Powercap Active IP' - that's well known. Having read the comment about being unsuitable for hardwoods, I checked the Axminster site and it is sold as "FFP2 respiratory protection to EN12941:1988 TH1P". And a quick look at their Knowledge forum (as I did) tells you FFP2 is good for hardwoods and MDF. I have used the APF10 for eleven months on that basis.

But the comment on here made me look deeper into this...and right enough, JSP themselves make no mention of the product being "FFP2", only it being "TH1P".

Not knowing what this meant, I read into it. 'FF--' in fact denotes 'Filtered Facepiece' - it applies to masks (inc disposable masks). Powered respirators fall under a different category, 'TH--', applicable to 'Turbo Hoods'.

For machining hardwoods or MDF, the Health & Safety Exec (HSE) say TH2P - not TH1P - is a minimum requirement. The APF10 is only TH1P.

But FFP2 is rightly stated as being good for hardwoods and MDF...so what was going on?

The upshot is the product is NOT class FFP2; an error appears to have been made assuming TH1P is equivalent to FFP2. I gave all the above info to Axminster who were shocked, but on looking into it conceded I was correct.

-----

I bought mine specifically to protect me from hardwood dusts, which are known to lead to respiratory diseases and are a known carcinogen. I believed the mask had inadvertently been mis-sold, quoting the wrong protection level. That needed addressed.

Today, I received a refund in full.

As I would expect, the manner in which Axminster dealt with this was professional, prompt, polite and apologetic. Their service and quick resolution can't be faulted - hats off to them. They now need to work out what went wrong, but the refund was the right course of action.

I'm sharing the info not to cause Axminster a problem, but to warn that the product may not be offering the protection you think; I figure most of us use hardwoods, and are power sanding - not what this respirator is for, it would seem.

Thanks to the chap who made the comment; had I not read it and delved into a mountain of info, I'd be none the wiser. I've only not mentioned him in case he'd prefer not.

Stay safe!

For reference, I understand the TH-- classes to mean the following (in layman's terms):

TH1P: exposure to less than 1/10th of particles in the air around you.

TH2P: exposure to less than 1/20th of particles in the air.

TH3P (the highest standard): exposure to less than 1/40th in the air.

The APF10 is an example of a TH1P product.

The Trend Airshield Pro is an example of a TH2P product; that's why it is classified as safe for MDF where the APF10 is not.

And 3M manufacture powered respirators to both TH2P and TH3P level, depending on model and filters used."

I've just looked up the facts of the above and everything I've seen backs up what's been said above.

Has anyone else come across this? I'm now considering taking mine back!?!

I'd have thought this is a very serious mistake - shouldn't they be doing a product recall/ pro-actively correcting it? The very least would seem to be not a refund but replacement with a mask that does filter at the rate claimed.

This looks like a bit of a demolition job. In your own opening line you state that you thought it would protect you from "all MDF and exotic hardwood dust" yet acknowledge further down that the level of protection you expected was at the TH2P level, which is far from "all".

This mask is clearly a consumer grade product and at a consumer grade price point. Whilst Axminster need to get their descriptions right, I suspect that the product is broadly beneficial. It is at a price point where people who may otherwise not wear masks at all will use it, and that has to be a good thing. Filtration is a trade off between effectiveness and usability. Particularly for amateurs. Extremely effective filtration requires more enclosure, better pressure regulation, and different filters.

I use the Axminster respirator. It is easy and comfortable and since I was not looking for any particular level of filtering - just an improvement, I was not misled by the descriptions or marketing. I do not work with MDF and anyway my workshop has a high level of dust extraction. This mask is very good for turning and is my go to filter of choice when I am keeping asthma and hayfever at bay whilst mowing the lawn or using a knapsack sprayer!

If they've claimed the mask filters at a level it's not capable of, and this impacts an individual's health - potentially seriously - Axminster have a serious problem. It appears Axminster conceded that it was a mistake. I've no idea if it is, but can't see how raising this issue constitutes a demolition job.

The problem occurs because of the masks inability to meet the higher face-head seal requirements to prevent dust being drawn in via the sides rather than through the filters.

The same problems as the original Power Cap models, I presume the air flow rates and seals have been improved over the years but I suspect the design still does not meet the best standards.

I came across this problem way back in 2008 *when I was using the Old Trend mask (which I still have and use when just wanting a face shield against chippings not dust) and was looking for a new mask.

*Note that review is for older versions of the respective products which have both gone through production or design evolutions in the last 9 years.

Chris152":1krxoyuq said:
If they've claimed the mask filters at a level it's not capable of, and this impacts an individual's health - potentially seriously - Axminster have a serious problem. It appears Axminster conceded that it was a mistake. I've no idea if it is, but can't see how raising this issue constitutes a demolition job.
I agree ! 20 years down the line when people start coughing to death, I wonder if they'll admit responsibility then. Would have thought they've got enough people working there to check the facts !!!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Hmm, i have one of these and i do work with MDF whilst wearing it. Think i will need to look into this further.

skipdiver":35hd86hn said:
Hmm, i have one of these and i do work with MDF whilst wearing it. Think i will need to look into this further.

Well as mentioned by AJB Temple you have been providing yourself with a level of protection, only you can asses if your extraction at source setup, rigorous adherence to battery charge (supplying safe filtered air) etc. means it meets your needs.

The initial cost outlay is always the problem for the DIY'ers who do not have the benefit of being able to offset against profits, tax etc. and I guess small turnover self employed have a cash flow problem to contend with for the commercial versions.

I know I had to swallow hard before embarking on my latest acquisition but having now had it some 7-8 months I know it was the right move.

PPE standards are quite stringent and are constantly changing hence these new numbers: the Euronorms are actually set by a panel of experts (some of whom will be from industry), its not unknown that the standards are weighted in a favourable manner towards the big hitters.
As for HSE advice, this assumes you might be using the mask 7 hours a day for the whole of your working life.
So.............my guess it the mask does not meet the standard mainly on a technicality.
And generally it will be fine; its a bit different if you have allergic reactions however.

At least Axminster have not lied nor stretched the truth; don't imagine many PPE suppliers are as honest. The problem is due to a bunch of new numbers that IMHO were forced in by the big boys to remove competetion from the likes of axminster who can't justify the re testing costs

I'd not worry too much unless you are working on a woodwork production line.

After near 30 years of manufacturing H&S, I'd hazard a guess that 90% of folks here could not consistently get masks to meet their advertised standards anyway, as they are not fitting them correctly. In industry face fit traininig is required.

By the way ignore all that "particles in the air" rubbish, the only thing that matters is respireable dust is not breathed in and that's very fine. and that is the only reason why MDF is a problem; I assume we are all aware all the scare stories about MDF are based on stuff that was banned years ago.

HSE regards masks as the last line of defence. EU rules restrict the content of EU produced MDF and formaldehyde concentration levels are very low now. You can buy formaldehyde free MDF. Not much EU mdf seems to use hardwoods (which is the other potential irritant). I don't use it because I prefer to use timber - but I am not making kitchens etc commercially.

Just received the following response from Axminster...

"After looking at the specification and description further with guidance from JSP the manufacturer, I can confirm the units are sold in accordance with the filtration specification.

Please find attached documentation that provides further description of the filtration guidelines"

And this is a screenshot of the document they attached...

3b63139202692be381869d730fab07e7.png

Hardwood dust is just as much of a problem as MDF and is a known carcinogen! I'm talking beech etc. not even exotics.....
The axminster mask is not appropriate for woodturning of hardwoods, which is the main market the product is aimed at, and most turners work in hardwoods!

I don't have the product but if I had bought it for turning and found this info out then I would be after a refund!

The idea that the specs. have changed or that they are weighted in the favour of 'the big boys' is farcical. As is the idea that Axminster, or JSP, who they worked with very closely on the development of the axi mask can't afford the testing costs! JSP have been a pretty big player in the UK PPE industry for a long time now, hardly a small fish?!

Lurker. Please can you state proper references for the statements that you make? I think being so flippant with regards to the real dangers hardwood and MDF dust pose to our respiratory health is highly irresponsible and foolish. Take whatever risks you like but don't poo-poo industry wide safety standards without HARD evidence, of which you offer none!

Why is it not suitable for turning hardwoods? It has a protection factor of 10, which is equivalent to FFP2 and TH1. People can make a choice to have no facial protection, 4 times protection, 10 times protection (as here) or higher.

HSE makes clear that other methods should also be used for those needing protection. If I am sanding on my lathe for example, I use the cyclone linked to a hood, which draws away most of the dust, an air filter that extracts air to outside, and the Axi face mask. Quite honestly this is ample.

It is not suitable because a protection factor of 20 is required for hardwood and MDF. The Axi mask only provides a protection factor of 10 yet in their marketing material they use pictures of people turning on a lathe (the majority of turners use hardwood) and emptying dust sacks, an activity that also requires a protection factor of 20!
It's here for all to read!
http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/priced/hsg53.pdf

I'm happy that a protection factor of 10, along with dust extraction at source and my air filter running is enough to satisfy me. The visor also provides a level of face protection from any flying object, so all in all, i will keep this mask and carry on. I work with MDF infrequently anyway and hardly any hardwoods at all.

That's great for you skipdiver but what about others that bought it believing it was suitable for the activitys they were doing when, in fact, it is not? I would not be happy!

ghettoblaster":69uznmu5 said:
That's great for you skipdiver but what about others that bought it believing it was suitable for the activitys they were doing when, in fact, it is not? I would not be happy!

I obviously cannot speak for others. If they are unhappy, then they need to take it up with Axminster/JSP. It seems from the earlier post that Axminster advertised the product correctly in the specs but the advertising pictures with it were obviously misleading to some.

ghettoblaster":lpamgrmm said:
Agreed. I can't imagine what the discussion is about. It's not about who's happy with what, and it doesn't matter in the least what the HSE says about other forms of extraction. If I'm led to believe I'm buying 12 eggs and I get ten, I'm not happy. And if it potentially causes me to have long-term sickness, I take the seller to court.

Back