Powered Respirator?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormer1940

Established Member
Reaction score
Ok this has been happening a while now. I keep getting headaches after wearing dust masks. I first of all had the 3m half mask respirator and started getting headaches, someone I know managed to get me a JSP force 8 half mask P3 so I thought I'd give that ago but still got the headaches!!! I bought some p2 and p3 3M disposables to see if they made a difference but after trying them today I have still come home with a headache.

I'm really considering getting a battery powered face mask because I'm pretty sure that it's the masks air flow that is causing the problem.

Can anyone recommend battery powered mask that will be suitable for mdf dust and also spray vapour?

Similar to http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M ... spirators/

Am I reading this right? Are you wearing these at work? If so your H&S department should get involved. Also if you are getting a headache because, as you suggest, restricted airflow from the mask. I would be booking an appointment at the doctors to see what your oxygen saturation is like. Good luck with it.

bourbon":2vlsbwap said:
Am I reading this right? Are you wearing these at work? If so your H&S department should get involved. Also if you are getting a headache because, as you suggest, restricted airflow from the mask. I would be booking an appointment at the doctors to see what your oxygen saturation is like. Good luck with it.

I work for myself bourbon. Without a mask I don't get the headaches. I have recently had a blood test as part of my mot :D .... Not so long ago I was running near 6 miles every other day so don't think there is a problem with my lungs.

I had a really old Trend airshield which was fine, but eventually died. I have replaced it with one from Axminster the APF10 that is a rebadged JSP powercap but at least a tenner cheaper than the cheapest powercap box shifter and you get axminsters customer support. Very comfy to use, I haven't used it with ear defenders yet, you probably need those that go around the neck or use ear buds.

Cheers
Andy

I use my Trend airshield with the ear defenders, helps a great deal when using the PT or Router table with Oak, I have a few after market batteries, not that the originals ever run out when using the airshield, eight hours is more than enough time in the workshop.

Mike

Another one for going to a good doctor. Wearing a mask of any description should NOT give you headaches!

A first thought is your eyes. Are you squinting more when wearing a mask? when did you last get your eyes tested?

It shouldnt happen, and the masks are not at fault.

The trend air-shield is also excellent as protection from the spines on the procession moth when cutting down the nests, the local children think I look like Darth Vada, I think they mean Daft Ada.

Mike

Moth protection.jpg

Good lateral thinking there Sunnybob.

Attachments

• Moth protection.jpg
    Moth protection.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 975
Are you sure it is the masks that are causing the headaches, and not the vapours and MDF? You say it only happens when you wear a mask, but, you may be doing far more hazardous work with a mask on and getting leakage past the seals.
A positive pressure respirator will give better protection than any unpowered mask, especially if you have a beard, and if you take care to fit the specific filters for the task. MDF is mainly about fine particles, and vapour mainly about nasty chemicals - for which you need to fit the appropriate - different - filters. Some respirators allow you to double up and fit both types of filter, which is simpler than swapping filters all the time, but may cost a few pence more.
I use a Sundstrom respirator and find it very comfortable, and comparable in quality to the 3M offerings. Arco has a good website to explore the various options.
Duncan

Doctor's appointment on Monday just to be safe. Also going to get a trend air shield pro. :)

I'm using charcoal filters in the mask I use for spraying and have the press to check p3 filters on the workshop mask. I do have stubble/beard so may be the issue.

Your beard will not be an issue with the Trend Air-shield Pro, I have a full set and the Air-shield, it works extremely well, see pic above.

Mike

Just an update. Went to the doctors to today and got checked out and he could find nothing wrong with me :D Airshield it is :)

Back