Axminster Forstner bit set: any experience?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpoonsbySven

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I ordered a set of Axminster Forstner bits (http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminste...P_SjgD8zqe7RxZFZL-NZXU_ia63E1047cAxoCWyHw_wcB) a couple of weeks ago.

They arrived the next day (great!) but they were BLUNT!! Loads of burrs on the edges, and some "edges" had flat sections visible to the naked eye (even without glasses!). Otherwise, the quality was pretty good (nice, solid feel, and a pretty good storage box). However, they're cutting tools and IMO, they need to be sharp. So I rang Axminster, who were very helpful, and offered to exchange them.

I'll condense the saga that followed into this: two weeks later, and two more phone calls to Axminster later to find out where the replacement bits were, they eventually arrived today. And they're blunt too.

Now, I accept that at some point, they'll need sharpening, and I know that will take time and be a fiddly job. But I don't think I should have to do this before I even use them! I also realise that the cost per bit is pretty low, but still, I've spent£70 on a tool(s), I expect it to be sharp and usable out of the box! I had a similar experience with an Axminster block plane, where it needed a lot of fettling (cleaning up rough casting, squaring up mouth, flattening sole), but at the time I figured it would be a learning experience, and chalked that one up to bad luck.

Has anyone else tried these sets? I'm not sure what to do next: send them back and try something else, or just accept them and get on with it. Regardless, I will be letting Axminster know that I am exceedingly UNhappy with their quality and service on this occasion.

Any suggestions for alternatives? I'd like a set, but the nearest equivalent I can find is way out of my budget.

Glad to hear any thoughts!

Cheers,
Sven

I've just had a good look at mine (Axminster 7 bit set) under the magnifier, no complaints about sharpness at all. I notice that I've obviously overheated a couple of them, which I didn't notice at the time, but it doesn't appear to have affected the sharpness.

I recently bought a set of toothed cutters:
http://www.rutlands.co.uk/sp+woodworkin ... ota+dk2074
which are razor sharp. I haven't really used them much yet so can't comment on their performance.

SpoonsbySven":duayj0l6 said:
I ordered a set of Axminster Forstner bits ... but they were BLUNT!! ... Has anyone else tried these sets? ...

That's odd. I bought that set, partly because of good reviews and they've been fine. Is it the cutting rims (circumference), the chippers (radial) or the spur, or all three that are blunt?

In general I would steer clear of sets, I've just bought the size I needed as and when. I recently got a 20 mm bit by Famag (Famag 1622 Bormax) to replace a bit I overheated and ruined. Not cheap but the Famag cuts very well, good crisp holes.

I bought a very similar Axminster set (15 drills) a few years back, when they were on offer. Mine weren't very sharp, but they cost a lot less than that set does. I touch them up with a diamond file when they need it, and so far they're fine for 'cooking' use. If the finish quality mattered though, I'd probably buy individual Fisch wave bits (or the Axy TCT boring bits) on an as-needed basis.

I have to say though that the smaller diameters are rather silly. You get better results with twist drills or a brace & bit. The thick shaft means they won't make deep holes as it blocks the chips being cleared (not a problem with the bigger ones).

Mine have a Titanium Nitride coating, which I think is pointless, and anyway comes off when you sharpen them.

Hi guys,
Thanks for the replies. Been on holiday for a couple of weeks, with limited internet access.
John, the edges were variable, but a good proportion of both the cutting rims and chippers were blunt/burred. I haven't had much luck getting decent photos, but if I manage to get anything, I'll put it up.

I rang Axminster just before going on holiday, and got to speak to someone in the Technical Dept. His attitude was essentially: "you bought the cheapest set, you shouldn't expect top quality". After checking with a colleague, who apparently knew something about using drill bits, he confirmed that as they are
"machine finished", I should expect to have to hone them before use, and offered a £5 discount as a "gesture of goodwill". While I take the point that there are more expensive options out there, my assumption up until now has been that the Axminster brand itself is something of a premium brand. I have never seen such a poor edge on any drill bit I've ever purchased. Should I expect to hand sharpen the next saw I buy from Axminster??

Apart from an apology (which is something) the issue of having to call them three times before the replacement set was actually sent out was not mentioned.

Pcb1962 and Inoffthered, thanks for the recommendation. I've ordered a set from Rutlands, and if they are any better when they arrive, I will be returning the Axminster set and asking for a refund. I will need a VERY good reason to I buy from Axminster again.

Thanks again for the replies and advice so far.
Best,
Sven

Hello Sven :) I have the same set which came free with a Jet pillar drill from Axminster. They are complete rubbish! I've now started to replace them with Famag Bormax from Workshop heaven.
The Famag are superb, I recently cut 38 17mm holes in 40mm Beech and the last hole was just as clean as the first, and the bit still looks new. They're not cheap, but if you only need a few instead
of a full set, they're well worth consideration.

Back