Axminster Evolution Chuck Delivery Problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im Just Giving up hope lost all faith nothing is made in house at either axminster or record anymore its all come in from either china or India I reckon that's why we got the long wait on items not only chucks but band saws also
regards
Bill

Some time last year I went on an all day tour of APTC in Axmister which lasted all day.

One of the things we saw was the production of the Axi chucks on a couple of CNC mills/drills. Quality control was good and to industry standards, volume was not massive but seemed adequate, finishing was excellent.

So YES some stuff made in the UK.

Al

EnErY":1mak5i7d said:
Im Just Giving up hope lost all faith nothing is made in house at either axminster or record anymore its all come in from either china or India I reckon that's why we got the long wait on items not only chucks but band saws also
regards
Bill

Hi Bill,

We do indeed make our chucks and other woodturning accessories in house here at Axminster. If you are ever in the area and would like a full guided tour of our facility please let me know, I'm more than happy to show you our production facilities and distribution centre!

Regards,

Richard

Hi Bill,

We do indeed make our chucks and other woodturning accessories in house here at Axminster. If you are ever in the area and would like a full guided tour of our facility please let me know, I'm more than happy to show you our production facilities and distribution centre!

Oh dear, you don't know what you've let yourself in for Richard !!!
He'll be right down, get the ear plugs ready 'cos he can talk the hind legs off a donkey ( but don't let him near one, he's from Wales !!)

:lol: :lol: :lol: sorry Bill, couldn't resist :lol: :lol: :lol:

Richard@Axminster":3t8k8yhu said:
EnErY":3t8k8yhu said:
regards
Bill

Hi Bill,

Regards,

Richard
called you today Richard Your mailbox is full I Know Its A bank Holiday but again communication is failing
Regards
Bill

As an old Axminster customer I am very sorry to have to say that the quality of Axminster chucks is no were near as good as they were when they were made by Toolmex regardless of were they are made the K10 isn't a patch on the old Corlton and its the same with the supper precision the quality of engineering just isn't the same and not all the old fits the new

I have always been an advocate of Axminster and would never hesitate recommending there products but I no longer feel that I can I tried to order the Evolution chuck last year and it seems you are still making the same excuses now as you was then and a few more to boot in the end I went for the Versa chuck which is a very good chuck which is almost as good as the S/P and much better than the K10.

It saddens me to have to say this but it is the truth sorry Axminster but your level of service and quality has slipped my workshop was fitted out with mostly older Axminster machines and not once have they ever let me down what has gone wrong that I hear so many people complaining

I must say that I believe Axminster are as good now as they were when I first ordered from them twenty or more years ago, I received my evolution chuck back in january which I must say is the best chuck I've ever owned, I had a slight problem that some jaws that were years old did not connect to the scroll on the evolution, no problem to axminster they took the jaws back at their own cost & returned them to me a perfect fit. This is what I call great service & will continue to make them my first call
Barry

I received my chuck from Axminster last week. Its a nice package. Only one complaint it came with no jaw securing screws, emailed their CS and asked why, back came the reply they are only supplied with jaws.

Perhaps I am being a little picky, but spending £159, I think they could place a set of screws in the chuck pack, as they have stated to me its their flagship chuck.

For a for a ha'porth of tar!!!!!!!!!

I ordered the Evolution about a week ago.

Here's a question for you (Richard Beer) which I'm posting here rather than emailing, as I'm sure it will clear up some misunderstandings.

When I ordered the chuck by telephone, I was told there was a backlog because they were waiting for parts. BUT - what parts, if Axminster make all the chuck in store? I think the gentleman on the telephone said they were waiting for a gear scroll, or something - where is that coming from if not made in Axminster?

I'm sure others might like to know the answer to this.

K

My mate Also had a problem A friend of mine I recommended also called for A band saw he was told 2 weeks ago the item was in stock on The phone April the 2nd looking again tonight the goalposts have changed yet again http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... prod886302 are these made and assembled in house? he is Now purchasing at Yandles tho record power Friday
regards
Bill

graduate_owner":jbs4xxjq said:

Here's a question for you (Richard Beer) which I'm posting here rather than emailing, as I'm sure it will clear up some misunderstandings.

When I ordered the chuck by telephone, I was told there was a backlog because they were waiting for parts. BUT - what parts, if Axminster make all the chuck in store? I think the gentleman on the telephone said they were waiting for a gear scroll, or something - where is that coming from if not made in Axminster?

K

could this be that they where waiting for the parts to be machined, i seem to remember that, and know form experience that each part is made in bathes rather than making one chuck at a time.

adidat

Without my newly acquired mod hat on, and without taking anyone's side in this discussion, can i say this..?

The simple fact that any manufacturer/ supplier is willing to discuss its apparent 'failings' on a public forum has to be applauded and considered beyond the scope of the usual service provided by anyone in this day and age.
With the greatest will in the world very rarely is any supplier or service infallible (myself included), especially when they are reliant on being supplied by a third party for raw materials or stock of whatever kind.
I have no affiliation with Axminster, and have only dealt with them on a probably less than a dozen occasions, and each time I have received what I consider to be prompt and efficient service, as have many others going by the majority of opinions expressed by previous posts and threads that I have read in the past here on the forum.
Mistakes, misunderstandings and mishaps occur, all we can do is try and remedy them if they do.

On the other hand however... if no attempt is made by any companies found to be 'at fault' for reparation or recourse, then I'll grab my pitchfork and flaming torch and be right behind you :twisted: :wink:

graduate_owner":1t43565q said:

K

Hi,

Thanks for the question. Yes, we were waiting for the parts made here to come back to us! We produce all the parts in house but they are then sent away to be hardened. Once we receive them back the chucks can be assembled and sent out.

Regards,

Richard

adidat":36ekfcp2 said:
graduate_owner":36ekfcp2 said:

K

could this be that they where waiting for the parts to be machined, i seem to remember that, and know form experience that each part is made in bathes rather than making one chuck at a time.

adidat

Yes this is also correct. To keep on top of production of all of our products we have a very busy production schedule. Even if we run out of some parts its not as easy as just firing up a CNC and making some parts as the machines could be working 24/7 making the next batch of live centres or back-plates.

Right, so it's not the machining but the hardening that is out sourced. That makes sense. I hope you didn't mind my raising the issue - it wasn't to try to catch you out, just to find out what was happening. Now I know - actually now we all know. Many thanks, Richard.

K

There are lots of companies who make mistakes, Axminster is one of them, but what sets them apart from almost all those other companies is that they will pull their finger out and get the problem sorted. If anyone here is given the bum's rush by any Axminster staff then they have a perfect conduit here to Richard who has his finger on the pulse.

I have had small problems that when notified Axminster have sorted it, I have a problem now with the readout on one of the small lathes not working, but I have no doubt or worries about them sorting it when I phone them.

Don't judge Axminster on what others say about them, speak to them and judge for yourself.

Regards
Peter

12345Peter":38ycfet9 said:
There are lots of companies who make mistakes, Axminster is one of them, but what sets them apart from almost all those other companies is that they will pull their finger out and get the problem sorted. If anyone here is given the bum's rush by any Axminster staff then they have a perfect conduit here to Richard who has his finger on the pulse.

I have had small problems that when notified Axminster have sorted it, I have a problem now with the readout on one of the small lathes not working, but I have no doubt or worries about them sorting it when I phone them.

Don't judge Axminster on what others say about them, speak to them and judge for yourself.

Regards
Peter

Thank you for the kind words Peter! If you need help with the DRO please feel free to contact me!

Regards,

Richard.

Richard@Axminster":m4ftzwdx said:
Thank you for the kind words Peter! If you need help with the DRO please feel free to contact me!

Regards,

Richard.

Thanks for the offer Richard, but there is one on the way to me, it took about 5 minutes to sort out on the phone.

Regards
Peter

to richard's credit i did receive a reply regarding my enquiry quite promptly.

unfotunately the engineering department it was forwarded to have not been so prompt.

40 days and counting. all i need is a chuck with an adapter to an m24 thread.

anyone have a different brand to suggest?

Have a look at the versachuck on The Toolpost website, not sure if the size you need is a common one or not, but the versachuck is a decent, strong chuck and will take a range of jaws from different manufacturers if you choose the appropriate jaw carriers.

Cheers, Paul

Back