Axminster Evolution Chuck Delivery Problems

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aden30mm

Established Member
Reaction score
I have had the Axminster Evolution chuck on back order since mid Jan this year. I followed up delivery this week and have been told they have had some manufacturing problems, and could not give a timeline for delivery.

OK they wrote to me and told me (early Feb) that they would deliver by end of February which was appreciated. However, I am now getting a tad hacked off, as it seems that they advertised an item that seems was nowhere near ready for market.

Quite unlike Axminster as there customer service is normally acceptable.

Finally, anyone out there waiting for or even has an evolution chuck. Alternatively, anyone know of anyone who has one.

Regards

Aden

I want one for my Graduate, and was told by Axmxinster on Saturday that it could be as long as June, although 3-4 weeks was more likely. I spoke to someone in a local turning club who has the Evolution, and he's very impressed. He has a few other chucks and reckoned the Evolution is as good as any of them. Also he mentioned the fact that the thread is machined directly into the chuck body, which gives less overhang and less strain on bearings (but the down side is that you may not be able to change just inserts if you change your lathe - not sure about this though)

Still - I want one. I shall be ordering one this week.

K

i emailed axminster with an enquiry when i started out november last year. to date i have not received a reply. i am currently looking for another supplier.

I am also in the same situation.

I have got a jet 1642 and would like to get a decent chuck setup however I am confused as to what to get :(

I like the idea of the evolution chuck but the long time delays and the mixed reviews put me off :(

I may just buy the goliath for the time being and then upgrade if/when they sort out the evolution.

Late and incomplete deliveries, back orders, incorrect deliveries. These now seem to be the norm with Axminster. At school we are often ordering something every week from them, and I cannot recall when we had a correct and full order delivery off them.
Before X-Mas we ordered 2 x lathes and chucks, 3 x cabinet bases and a pillar drill. Lathes arrived on time, but no chucks until end of Feb. Cabinet bases very poor, one missing a hinge that we have just received. Still no key-less chuck for the pillar drill.

If an item is not in stock we go elsewhere if we can. This is such a shame and seems to coincide with the Brimarc colaboration and expansion of shops.

Colin

I've seen and held in my hand one of those chucks. It was at the end of last year and it had just been bought by a member of our woodturning club. I don't know if he ordered it from Axminster by phone or online or if he actually visited their shop and got it there.

On the matter of delays & problems, our club ordered a AT1416VS lathe and extension bed from Axminster in January. The lathe arrived the next day - but only worked for a week and had to be replaced (dead inverter), which they did fairly promptly and with no quibbles. The replacement unit seems ok - but the extension bed is on back order and I was told it should arrive "approximately April" - which I take to mean whenever the container from China turns up! It's annoying because we can't get on a build a proper stand for the lathe until the extension bed arrives.

Colin

I bought a item from Warco but was pleasantly surprised at customer services they provided. They do supply to schools as well, both for woodwork & metalwork machines. Website is pretty good just Google the company. I have no affiliation with them except as a past buyer.

It seems to me that the adage that the customer is king is dead and buried. My take is as a customer all I want is for these companies to say what they mean and mean what they say. Small hobby users pay upfront and deserve a better service. I don't want to kick Axminster but it seems the same level across the board, or am I being a tad cynical.

I wonder how those professional workshop manage? Or does poor customer service only happen to those who are hobby based?

Aden

moby":2tadmyju said:
i emailed axminster with an enquiry when i started out november last year. to date i have not received a reply. i am currently looking for another supplier.
I too have Encountered Axminster not repying To My Emails i Think they Are going on Meltdown or the I dont care Stage ,Not impressed with Their customer services attitude i went To record And Nichola at record kindly sorted out my problem instantly instead of forgetting to have the decency to call me back it was done on the spot only downside is i currently posses a wheelbarrow full of axminster chucks and jaws but got round it with purchasing jaw inserts for my versa chuck.
Regards
Bill

Hello everyone.

Thank you all for your comments, please accept my apologies if you have not received answers to your emails this is not the level of service we wish to give. If you would like to forward me your emails I will make it a top priority to reply to you.

[email protected]

Thanks,

Richard

EnErY":3lwa7f9v said:
moby":3lwa7f9v said:
I too have Encountered Axminster not repying To My Emails i Think they Are going on Meltdown or the I dont care Stage ,Not impressed with Their customer services attitude i went To record And Nichola at record kindly sorted out my problem instantly instead of forgetting to have the decency to call me back it was done on the spot only downside is i currently posses a wheelbarrow full of axminster chucks and jaws but got round it with purchasing jaw inserts for my versa chuck.
Regards
Bill

I dont suppose you have any chucks with an m33 thread going spare? ;)

I have had a email from CS at Axminster and the Evolution chuck is in the post to me. Be interesting to see if it lives up to exceptions. They have told me it is their flagship woodturning chuck.

Aden30mm":j29ybooe said:
I have had a email from CS at Axminster and the Evolution chuck is in the post to me. Be interesting to see if it lives up to exceptions. They have told me it is their flagship woodturning chuck.
I see it has now re-appeared in the listings, unfortunately still with a 'Temporarily out of stock

' or 'Temporarily out of stock. Available for dispatch within 3 weeks' listing dependant upon thread.

Has anyone tried emailing Richard Beer at Axminster via the link he kindly added to his thread? I have.
More importantly, has anyone had a reply? I haven't.

Perhaps he's busy answering others.

K

Hi graduate_owner (sorry not sure of your name)

I replied to several UKworkshop members in the last week but i haven't received an email from you, would you please resend it or even pm it to me? As soon as i receive your mail i will make it my priority to answer!

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard, and thanks for the forum post.
My email was sent using the link you posted so I don't know why it wasn't delivered. However I am reassured by reading other forum members' comments that they have received replies - restored my confidence in Axminster.

I wanted to know the position regarding delivery times for the Evolution chuck to fit my (You guessed it !!) Union Graduate lathe, but I have since seen that it has re-appeared on your website with estimated delivery times of 1 month, so no need to email you again.

Kind regards,

K

Odd, I ordered mine in January, and got a letter sometime in Feb explaining that a part in the chuck had not been up to scratch, and after the first few got "used in the field" and based on feedback from customers, they'd decided to re-engineer the part in question to make the chuck as good as it should be. They gave me a small gift voucher for the delay, and considering they don't take my money off me in the first place until they dispatch items, I was certainly not complaining!

I understand that if you are on a schedule, then the wait must be irritating, or even if the chuck is essential to a project you are planning, but I for one wouldn't fault them for this - I'd rather have a chuck worthy of their "flagship" ideal, than one with a flaw on delivery. I'm not saying Axminster is perfect, I've had deliveries containing the wrong stuff and other errors by their picking and warehouse staff, but as a whole they have been one of the best companies for service that I've dealt with in 25 years of dealing with retailers at one level or another.

Look forward to receiving mine.

Back