Which Axminster Evolution chuck?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alpasty

Reaction score
I’ve recently bought a AXMINSTER PROFESSIONAL AP350WL Lathe, and am having difficulty deciding between an Axminster Evolution SK114 and the new Axminster Evolution SK100. They seem identical except for size (and therefore weight), one being 114mm diameter and the other 100mm.

Has anyone got any thoughts on pros and cons of either? Both say they will handle all the jaws available. Thank you.

Buy the SK 114 all the jaws available for the SK 100 will fit the SK114 so you get the benefit of the larger jaws as well as the smaller sizes. I don't think the additional size of the SK114 is any real disadvantage.

Thank you very much for your reply, I was also leaning in that direction. I asked the same question in the Axminster forum, and someone advised the opposite, suggesting the additional weight of the 114 would put extra strain on the relatively small 750w motor and bearings. Now no less unsure. 😬

I doubt the chuck itself is notably heavier, I guess it could take a bigger work-piece but then you could use too big a work-piece on whatever attachment you use.

We have both sizes of SK chucks and they both have their moments when they are the best to use.

I have the AC355WL - which would now be the AW355WL after the rebrand. I also have the SK100 and quite a few jaws etc. it works great in tandem. I believe and was lead to believe at the time that the SK114 whilst ok on the 355 is slight overkill and more suited to a larger capacity lathe....
That said like bandsaws I believe getting the largest you can afford is wise wisdom, and if you are likely to upgrade then the chuck is more readily transferrable. I took the sk100 as it was a package deal at the time and will work on a larger lathe and if I upgrade I'll get the SK114 as well because more than one chuck will be useful.

HTH

Padster

Alpasty I don't want to complicate your decision, but I had exactly the same question last year. I had decided, or rather become somewhat fixated on wanting an Axminster chuck, but just couldn't decide which one. I emailed their sales people with some questions, but our communications didn't go too well.

As a result, I decided to consider my options. After some research I decided to go for Vicmarc and for not too much more than the price of the Sk114 I got both the Vicmarc VM100 and the VM120 with standard jaws.

I like Axminster products but I have no experience of their chucks. I am sure they are perfectly fine. However, I am glad I decided to go for the Vicmarc chucks and wouldn't change them, they do everything I need. Its ideal having both chucks but I do tend to use the larger VM120 most of the time even for smaller work. I have also used it to turn large 50cm+ bowls and platters using blanks that weighed in at over at 30kg. I can't fault these chucks.

I don't know the weight of the Axminster chucks, my VM100 is 2kg and my VM120 is 4kg. I wonder if there is a similar difference in the weights of the Axminster chucks. If there is, I would suggest you go with the SK100 for your 1hp machine. If you're not cutting your own blanks you probably won't be using the full 35cm capability of your lathe too often and the 100mm chuck should be fine.

Whichever you choose I'm sure you will be happy with it.

Back