Axminster Bandsaw Blades!!!!!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete Robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have heard alot of differing reports about bandsaw blade quality.
I am looking at buying some new blades for my bandsaw and am wondering how the ones from Axminster compare to others ie: Dure-edge etc.....

My bandsaw is a Record Power BS500, I am still using the blade that was supplied with it, I am no expert in this field and would like some feedback as to, maybe not the best blade on the market as this is not the mainstay of my workshop, but I am in the market for some new blades and am in the process of putting an order in with Axminster - should I bother with their blades in order to make up my free postage?

What profile and tpi do you recommend bearing in mind I dont have a specific task in mind, maybe a little re-sawing and maybe shaping and general usage if there is such a thing!!

All comments welcome - even insults!!

Hi pete i got my first bandsaw a couple of months ago. they also send me 2 free blades from axminster :p . they where much better then the one i got with my Jet. can full heartedly recommend getting new blades.

don't know if axminster are the best, i'm sure someone will be along in a minute to suggest a supplier.

when i put on my new blades my new bandsaw got 50% better

good luck

Pete
I have used the Axminster ones for a while - they certainly cut quite nicely. Are they the best?? Can't answer that for you.
I believe the Dure-edge blades were highly recommended and Dragon blades also seem to be getting rave reviews.

As for which blade, I find a 3tpi blade suitable for most work. 1/2 wide is a good compromise for straight/curved cuts.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Pete - if you use the Axminster blades which are excellent in my view, make sure you order by 'fone and get the blades made from 14 thou stock rather than the standard...much better :wink: - Rob

HI Pete
I`ve just bought a Record 300 bandsaw and just ordered a couple of blades from `Dragon` after recommendations from guys on this group. Only got them yesterday so not tried them on the saw yet but first class service from Dragon and the blades seem fine.
Steve

Don't know if "dure edge" is a marketing ploy or what but.....I've
had axminster's (old) blades and there great but they quickly loose there edge and they soon go from feeding through the blade with a feather to pushing (nearly forcing) through.

Pete

I have a BS500 as well, when I setup this machine I thought yes OK good machine but the performance is, well adequate. Then I bought some Dure Edge blades and for good measure Dragon. I now have a great machine with fantastic performance. Getting some slight problems with tensioning the 1" blades but I have found Record customer service to be second to none and know that this will be sorted out.

Pete.
I have used the Axcaliber blades for cutting up logs,ripping Oak down,and they really do last.Might give the others a go though too. :D
Paul.J.

3tpi or 4tpi would definitley be a good bet; essential for ripping and cutting veneers. I think you'll also find that a hook-tooth pattern will cut faster than a skip-toothed blade, although these do leave a better finish?

For sheet materials, I find 6tpi leaves a pretty good finish on 3/4"/18mm thickness. You can get away with a 10tpi blade on thinner material, but this seems to fine for cutting MDF, in my experience.

If you're likely to be cutting curves in nothing more than 2" thick, you could also consider a 6tpi blade, which'll leave you with a little less cleaning up to do after the cut than, say, a 3tpi blade.

I'll also second that Dragon Saws reccomendation - excellent service. Good luck. :wink: :)

I use Axminster blades and I think they are good value.

Only problem I;ve found is that they do appear to go blunter a little quicker than most but they are so competitively priced it more than makes up for it.

I havent got Axminster blades yet as I've just got a bandsaw but Axminster did'nt have the exact length. When I phoned Dure-Edge they asked what length and made the blades to it. I cant say what the quality is like only to say that they are better than the blade that came with the bandsaw. There is'nt that much difference in price between the two with Dure-Edge costing a little more.
I dont live on the mainland and buying from Dure-Edge has cheap delivery

Back