Axminster AW230SB Bandsaw alternative

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mel769

Established Member
Reaction score
Happy New year all. Im in the market for a bandsaw for my small workshop; the Axi AW230SB looks like a good fit, Anyone know of a suitable alternative ? I could live with a used unit but dont wanna spend alot of time/money on replacement rollers/bearings ect. The ELU 3401 looks like a contender. Any advice ?

Unfortunately I do not have enough room for a bigger saw, a 10" is the limit. The Record Sabre 250 looks a good offering, im leaning towards the RP now; although its 350w compared to the Axi 500w. Can anyone offer any advice ?

Im not sure if the 500w is the no load wattage or full load wattage, similarly for the 350w. I doubt the 350w is no load, but it might be. Othewise all things being equal they might be very similar engines. I would go for the next size up if it was bench mountable and not so heavy to lug about. Im having visions of getting a bandsaw soon, Ive convinced myself that such a machine will make my life easier on multiple fronts !

Yea have been looking at that one but the Sabre is a better build I think for the extra £100 or so. I really would like a 12" but none I can see are bench mountable; I suppose if the stands were removed they could be but would end up too high from the floor, and be too heavy probably. I really need a bench mounted for manoeuvrability. My workshop has benchtops all round so a stand on wheels wont tit, even if I cut an opening in a worktop.

10" saw is 30kg

12" saw is 67kg,
Definitely isn't bench liftable!
Thanks James yep thats way too heavy. Anyhow after some serious googling I will be getting the Axminster machine, that will do me until I get a bigger workshop.

As far as I can tell the RP Sabre just has the roller bearing guides as opposed to the rubbing blocks on the standard RP bandsaw, if you do a search on here you will find a thread on replacing the rubbing blocks with an Axi roller bearing replacement, very easy and not near £100.00 or it wasn't when I did it, but with the way price's are going you never know.

As far as I can tell the RP Sabre just has the roller bearing guides as opposed to the rubbing blocks on the standard RP bandsaw, if you do a search on here you will find a thread on replacing the rubbing blocks with an Axi roller bearing replacement, very easy and not near £100.00 or it wasn't when I did it, but with the way price's are going you never know.
The Sabre also has "improved" heavier iron wheels. I did watch a yt vid of someone with a RP BS52 and it was loud with a bit of screeching; not sure if thats due to not having the belt tensioned properly or not but it sounded a bit tinny.

I have a smaller Axi - the 1950 - which is fine for what I bought it for but needs careful set up. Recently I saw a few RP Sabre ones on display - I think they have been improved - and I was generally impressed by the build quality and features. I wasn't looking seriously but if I were in the market for one now I think RP might be the winner.

The record power gives a brief overview of changes - it was a no brainer for me - the sabre 250 is basically one of their bigger machines in a small form factor - love mine.

Latest posts

Back