Avro Vulcan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, but it would be a fun job. The only airliner I've built was the Douglas DC3 Dacota and the C47 military version. Same aeroplane except the C47 had a cargo door and a slightly modified tail that enabled it to tow gliders.
I would love one day if I have the budget to commission a 747-400 model. I am a bit of an av-geek and take over 100 flights a year at the moment and it remains my favorite aircraft, the queen of the skies.

Fabulous model Kittyhawk. I am in awe.
When I was a teenager in Harrogate in the ‘70s we used to have a Vulcan fly over our house most afternoons at about 4:30 - it was apparently on their patrol route covering Menwith Hill. Occasionally when the Vulcans were on exercises we would have a B52 instead.
In 1977 I went to the Church Fenton air display where a Vulcan flew low over the crowd with bomb doors open. The awesome sight and the incredible howl lives with me to this day.

In the '60s I lived in Surrey and clearly remember a Vulcan flying low, presumably on its way to or from BAC Weybridge. Never heard anything so deafening before or since!

Lovely model, by the way.

Jim
I also lived in Surrey in the 60s and remember seeing the Vulcan Concorde Olympus testbed.
Brian

Was that in the 70'? I used to know a technician with the Arrows (would have been Gnats then). He explained that the techies would travel in the spare seats from venue to venue. On that occasion they decided to carryout the maneuver before dropping off the passengers. The crash occurred because they didn't take account of the extra momentum of the extra body.
Brian
Yes Very early 70's

Fabulous model Kittyhawk. I am in awe.
When I was a teenager in Harrogate in the ‘70s we used to have a Vulcan fly over our house most afternoons at about 4:30 - it was apparently on their patrol route covering Menwith Hill. Occasionally when the Vulcans were on exercises we would have a B52 instead.
In 1977 I went to the Church Fenton air display where a Vulcan flew low over the crowd with bomb doors open. The awesome sight and the incredible howl lives with me to this day.
Used to get many things skirting around as our Farms opposite i was years back sneaking up on rabbits when a Jaguar came scratching it's belly on the trees!

The one that used to "spook" people ( civvies ) was Harriers popping up from behind trees and hedges for a quick "shufty"..or being in the hills in Wales or Scotland and looking down on Hercs flying along the bottom of the valleys.
The Buccaneer was another nice looking aircraft.

Back in the 70s I was walking on the Cullin Ridge on Skye, maybe 2500ft up. There was a deep aeroplaney noise, I looked up and all around, nothing. Then I looked down, a Vulcan flying slowly up the coast, a long way below. They look great from above too.

Kittyhawk, where are you in NZ, any cyclone damage? Hope you and yours are well.

Last edited:
Any chance of a Victor in the future?
You naughty man!
You've done it now, mentioning the HP Victor.
Had a good look at some drawings and blueprints of the aeroplane and how could you not love that shape? Like it was with the Vulcan, now it's going to be stuck in my brain and the only relief will be to have a shot at building it in the future and that means telling my clients that there will yet a further delay with their models..

Kittyhawk, where are you in NZ, any cyclone damage? Hope you and yours are well.
Thank you, all good with us although our area (the Coromandel) has a lot of infrastructure damage. We are pretty much cut off from the rest of the country with road washouts and slips estimated to take months to repair. But on a positive note, it keeps the riff-raff out:)

You naughty man!
You've done it now, mentioning the HP Victor.
Had a good look at some drawings and blueprints of the aeroplane and how could you not love that shape? Like it was with the Vulcan, now it's going to be stuck in my brain and the only relief will be to have a shot at building it in the future and that means telling my clients that there will yet a further delay with their models..
Yeah, "go for it mate"! IMO one of the most "shapely" aeroplanes to come out of GB - or anywhere else - since WWII.

I'm sure your customers won't mind, "all in a good cause<" (i.e. the satisfaction of blokes like me, and it seems, many others here). :)

Excellent work as always, Kittyhawk. Reminds me of when I went to the cliffs on Bournemouth during the airshow on the Vulcan's last year flying. Avoided the beach full of tourists and it was the best decision ever. Not only did it go straight over our heads at a very low altitude but it opened the taps on the engines just as it went past. As mwinfrance says, you feel the howl as much as you hear it. Stunning aircraft. Any chance of a Victor in the future?
The Imperial War Museum at Duxford are just finishing off a full restoration of a Victor …looks stunning.

In the 1980s I was driving back from a walking trip in the Lakes when my mini started to vibrate thought I had a flat tyre …..then a Vulcan appeared in a tight low bank turn across the M6 ! - that explained the car shaking.

During the 1990's we had A10's playing tortoise and the then current jet playing hare along our valley in Kent, once the A10's had gone past it gave us a chance to run out of the house to watch the jets below tree top height chance after the A10's.

There is one sitting in the Solway aviation musuem just outside Carlise.

Been there. Amazing aircraft. We were lucky enough to get to speak to a former pilot on the day, and climb into the cockpit.

01.jpg

Curvy airplanes you like? The Lockheed Constellation falls into that category. It has all those bad little propeller blades to make. ;)

Pete

Oh YES Pete! That's in my eyes anyway, probably THE best looking pax aircraft from the piston era - along with the DH Albatross too - just pre WWII, so a bit earlier than the Connie.

For some years we had a Connie here in Switzerland, ferried in from the US, operated by a private group and sponsored by Breitling, the watch people. It was based in Altenrhein, SW of here, at the Swiss end of Lake Constance, and often operated out of Basel, just near us. Unfortunately it's now grounded - a landing gear problem I think - but it used to fly over our house several times in Summer in years gone by. I heard it coming one day and was quick enough to dash indoors to pick up my camera::

1677592696062.jpeg

Thread drift, sorry. Doesn't look at all like a Vulcan (OR a Victor)!

Latest posts

Back