Avro Vulcan

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyhawk

Established Member
Reaction score
No one ordered this aeroplane.
I built it just because I wanted to and I'm allowed. My wife said so.
20230227_141047.jpg

20230227_135742.jpg

20230227_141138.jpg

20230227_141158.jpg

Gorgeous :) As were the real ones ..grew up around them when I lived in the UK ( my folks were in the RAF ) , saw , heard, felt them flying many a time when we lived on the bases they flew from.Also picked mushrooms in the fog in the early hours of the morning from the grass underneath the Vulcan ( it was parked at the side of the runways near where we kept our caravan in a hanger , when RAF Cosford first got a Vulcan and also a Valiant or a Victor ( I forget which of the last two the other one was ) and kept them outside. One of my cellphones has a Vulcan howl as it's ringtone..Hell hound coming in low. Used to love to watch them take off and climb full chat.
Shame I can only give one like..

You’ve done it again. Great airplane. One used to come every year to the Abbotsford Airshow until they were removed from service. Loved watching them put on their show. Beautiful!

Pete

Have you ever made a 747?
No, but it would be a fun job. The only airliner I've built was the Douglas DC3 Dacota and the C47 military version. Same aeroplane except the C47 had a cargo door and a slightly modified tail that enabled it to tow gliders.

Excellent work as always, Kittyhawk. Reminds me of when I went to the cliffs on Bournemouth during the airshow on the Vulcan's last year flying. Avoided the beach full of tourists and it was the best decision ever. Not only did it go straight over our heads at a very low altitude but it opened the taps on the engines just as it went past. As mwinfrance says, you feel the howl as much as you hear it. Stunning aircraft. Any chance of a Victor in the future?

A mate of mine was a Vulcan pilot. He said the greatest problem was getting the thing back on the runway. It seemed to float along for ever, cushioned by the ground effect.
Had a super tour around the survivor at Wellsbourne some years ago. Admired the Dowty undercarriage of course
Brian

That’s excellent. We had one of those crash in the field outside our house when I was a kid back in the early 70s. Story here

Where i lived in Wiltshire was in the middle of many airfields. Lyneham with C130's and others flying inc the Vietnam evac where they flew out for ages in pairs most of the night.

Fairford where Concorde flew from and many other planes many US ones.Brize Norton.Middle wallop.Yeovil.and Kemble where we got Lancs/spitfires/Hurricanes and many more inc many Vulcans plus the Red Arrows who was based there and we saw them crash when practised there love heart Manoeuvre where they fly at each other then bank left and right then fly upwards into a heart shape.
There was always something flying around if not jet had propellers stuck on the front!.

Red Arrows who was based there and we saw them crash when practised there love heart Manoeuvre where they fly at each other then bank left and right then fly upwards into a heart shape.
Was that in the 70'? I used to know a technician with the Arrows (would have been Gnats then). He explained that the techies would travel in the spare seats from venue to venue. On that occasion they decided to carryout the maneuver before dropping off the passengers. The crash occurred because they didn't take account of the extra momentum of the extra body.
Brian

Speaking of "lost skills"..a model of the TSR2 would be interesting. I saw it fly just once. For the time it looked like something from Sci-Fi.
The Vulcan sorties at one point in the 60's got so frequent ( especially at night ) that you learned to sleep through the "earthquake in the sky", or "Hell's gates opening" as they went nearly straight up just after take off. I suspect most of us who lived through that can sleep on the proverbial clothes line.According to Jimmy's Wiki thing, "RAF Cosford is the only RAF museum with a Vulcan , a Valiant, and a Victor all in the same place" and also has a TSR2 and "the winged rocket" or English Electric Lightning.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_aircraft_at_the_Royal_Air_Force_Museum_Cosford.Speaking of things that towed gliders, first time with my hands on the controls, and hearing "you have control" in any powered aircraft was in a Chipmunk at Cosford. :) Haven't been in the UK for over 30 years now, but if I did return for a visit, RAF Cosford Museum would be on the itinerary.

I was a member of a Gliding Club for many years, had a PPL then and used to tow with a Wilga, and other things, including a Piper Cub of all things, still remember the first time I took up three gliders at once behind the Wilga.

Gorgeous :) As were the real ones ..grew up around them when I lived in the UK ( my folks were in the RAF ) , saw , heard, felt them flying many a time when we lived on the bases they flew from.Also picked mushrooms in the fog in the early hours of the morning from the grass underneath the Vulcan ( it was parked at the side of the runways near where we kept our caravan in a hanger , when RAF Cosford first got a Vulcan and also a Valiant or a Victor ( I forget which of the last two the other one was ) and kept them outside. One of my cellphones has a Vulcan howl as it's ringtone..Hell hound coming in low. Used to love to watch them take off and climb full chat.
Shame I can only give one like..
In the '60s I lived in Surrey and clearly remember a Vulcan flying low, presumably on its way to or from BAC Weybridge. Never heard anything so deafening before or since!

Lovely model, by the way.

Jim

Latest posts

Back