Fieseler Storch

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kittyhawk

Established Member
Reaction score
This for my good teutonic client who only ever orders obscure WW11 era German aircraft from me.
And I'm grateful for that because his unusual tastes introduce me to many little known aeroplanes, little known to me anyway. The Storch hails from the mid 1930's and could be described as an aerial staff car and in this role served the commanders of every side during the conflict. But its main claim to fame is that it was the world's first true STOL aeroplane and its lineage can be seen in many light aircraft today.
Those familiar with previous models may notice a modification to the upright part of the stand. Up until now I have had a one size fits all type stand which was really not satisfactory. A while ago I built a Citabria Pro aerobatic aircraft model which I posted here and @Jester129 commented that the stand didn't look right for that model. He was right, but the problem was that I dont have any flair for the arty type stuff, so I gave the design over to the Child Bride and this is what she came up with. Also a while ago I needed to fabricate a couple of tiny ladders from 0.6mm brass rod for another model and sought help from the forum on how to solder. @Fergie 307 responded and over 3 pages of advice led me by the hand though the dark arts of soldering which in turn enable the construction of the stand which is from 2mm bronze brazing rod. My thanks to those two chaps. I think the modified stand quite suits these smaller aircraft types and provides me with an out - if you don't like it, not my fault. The wife did it.
20230617_155915.jpg

20230617_160024.jpg

20230617_160233.jpg

20230617_160400.jpg

Last edited:
writing privately......

child bride ...eh.....

mines only 20 years younger then me......
I just tell anyone who'll listen that she keeps me on my toes....hahaha.....

the stand is purrrfekt.....
Frank

Your wife has a good eye, and I'm glad you took my comment in good heart, as that was how it was meant. That stand is terrific for that plane, sleek, stylish and fast for the stand and the plane! Another terrific job, thankyou for sharing. :love::love::love:

Hi,
Great looking plane. Might be a bit heavy on take off with a stand on though.LOL.
Regards,
Dave
Researching the aircraft, there's a short vid on utube of the Storch being demonstrated at an airshow in the USA,1938 I think. The aeroplane gets airborne with a take off run of about 3 times it length and landing, a little less. Amazing

Looks great as ever. I take it these were the wheels you were turning. How did you do them in the end?
Cheated a bit. Turned a dowel shape to the wheel diameter, about 50mm long and shaped the end to the wheel/tyre shape. The same face of the second wheel was to be 25mm along the dowel from the first wheel. Reduced the diameter of the dowel between the two wheels as much as I dared. This allowed shaping the reverse side of the first wheel. Parted the end wheel off and removed the thinned down dowel between the wheels. The second wheel was just a repeat of the first.

Not cheating at all. Not sure I would trust myself to do parts that small that way, not in wood anyway. Good work. And love the stand, really compliments the spindly looking undercarriage on the aircraft.

What Mk is that model, as I remember the back end being not as deep and the fin being much smaller, not criticising just interested, have you thought of modelling a Wilga?

What Mk is that model, as I remember the back end being not as deep and the fin being much smaller, not criticising just interested, have you thought of modelling a Wilga?
The plans I have are for the Fi156 C-1, built 1939 to 1940.
But there is a curious thing with the Storch. Invariably when modelling you need photos to lend clarity to some detail that is obscure on the plans, and these showed endless small variations with the Fi156. On some, the oleo legs from wheel to wing root are straight, on others they have a slight bend. The oil coolers are either on the side of the engine cowling or on top, the aerial location changes, presumably dependent on the radio equipment installed, but the main variations are to the canopy which almost seemed to be a make it up as you go along scenario. So I was obligated to tell my customer that it was a representative Storch rather than a precise model.

Back