AT1628VS & Patriot Chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Finch

Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy folks, long time no speak.

I noted that Axi are £200 off the 1628 at the mo and I was about to pull the trigger and buy it (to finally replace my Coronet Elf) when I thought I would stop and check the chuck insert. It would seem that Sorby list an M33 x 3.5 insert but nobody seems to sell it.

Am I on a loser with this chuck do you reckon? If I buy the lathe will I be left with an expensive doorstop? I know they do an exert but that's not what I am looking for. This will move the chuck away from the headstock putting extra pressure on the bearing.

Should I flog the Patriot and buy something else? Any thoughts on what I should buy?

Or, should I buy a different lathe? In the £1600 (with stand) price range, must have VS and preferably a rotating headstock for outboard (large turning). I would prefer to have the flat bed rather than the bars that some record lathes seem to come with too.

TIA!

Coll

I don't know what you should do about the chuck but getting that lathe in that price bracket is a no brainer.

That's what I thought Graham, thanks.

I might just suck it up and buy the exert with a view to changing the chuck when I have more money. :(

Most 100mm chucks have to have the M33 x 3.5 thread directly cut in the back, not via an insert, because of metal size restrictions. (check the outer diameter of your insert to see what I mean)

Well, I pulled the trigger and bought the lathe and the legs.

Now for the accessories.....

Pen mandrel, faceplates, consumer unit for the electrics, more sockets... squeee I am excited now!

I will do some before and after pictures and if I am brave I will do a video too...

Thanks Phil. I hadn't looked at the versa, but will do so. I think I will get the exert for now and then replace the chuck in due course.

If you could see some of the lumps I have outboard turned on my 1628 you wouldn't worry about having the chuck out on an extension. :)

Sorby sell a M33x3.5 threaded version of the Partiot.
If you want to fit an existing chuck (which likely has a smaller thread, like the standard chuck) then you will need an exert. Sorby do them and they usually sell for about £41 (http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/browse. ... 19/level/4). I bought one at Harrogate to use with my old Nova chucks (2 x supernova and a Supernova deluxe) and it works well. You get more overhang from the headstock but that's not been an issue so far. If I have anything where I need the extra length then I'll use my Sorby chuck.

If you have existing jaws for your chuck then you can buy a Compatriot chuck which comes with none and is a reasonable price - http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/browse. ... 21/level/4

Back