AT1628Vs going back...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bogmonster

Established Member
Reaction score
My new lathe is going back to Axminster. Whatever numpty fitted the indexing ring didn't seat it properly and proceeded to tighten up the grub screws on the shoulder scoring it. I had a lot of trouble getting the indexing ring off due to the bur and now the shaft needs dressing with a file as the indexing ring does not run concentrically and causes vibrations at high RPMs.

A bit disappointed to have to be driving down to Axminster again so soon :(

Taking it back first thing in the morning. Had hoped to get the bench finished tonight so I could have a play.

It is not bad and I could fix it myself but the idea of needing to file the shaft on a brand new lathe grates a bit.

BM

I find Axminsters stuff a bit of a hit or miss engineering wise. My father in law's Axminster lathe has movement and give where there shouldn't be, not very well engineered at all.

Overall I think the quality looks OK. Not turned anything on it yet though. Not sure it is up to Jet quality though. All the parts look well machined and solid. However QC sucked. I would have thought post assembly somebody would have spun it up at which point the problem would have been obvious.

Still not finished the bench either. I went cheap and didn't buy the legs and have been welding up a lower extension bed support. In bouncing up and down on it testing it looks to be very solid. There is very little downwards flex but still too much sideways flex - had expected this and have a brace cut to weld in that should fix it - just ran out of time and energy. Should be up running tomorrow and will paste some pics of the Frankenstein bench.

BM

The only little niggles I have had with mine are very small. from an engineering standpoint the headstock spindle is not exactly lined up with the tailstock. Best thing to do is put the headstock where you want it and get it as close as you can. You can move the tailsock about and it stays the same. move the headstock and it does not centralise. you have to align it by eye with the tailstock.

But so far very pleased with it. It has managed every thing I have wanted to do. The toolrest is meant for spindle turning and is good for that. Not at all good for bowls or faceplate turning :( but I can cure that :).

You are right about the toolrest Woodfarmer, it stinks. Somehow I kept pinching my forefinger between the gouge and the back edge of the rest. Early days but I think I am happy enough with the rest of the lathe though. My bench is not yet finished and still has no ballast in it so way too much vibration with my trial bowl but I can't hold this against the lathe - yet.

Happy with the rigidity of the bango and bed and the extension bed and riser are pretty good as well. I did get a little flex in the riser but was much less pronounced that on many of the lathes I looked at, especially those with an articulated outrigger assembly. Everything appears to lock tightly and adjust freely.

I won't have a proper idea until the bench is finished and my trial 7" ash bowl hardly tested the lathe - it looked a little ridiculous over the dropped bed extension but the trial was really to test the rigidity of the mounting point I made for the dropped bed extension. No point in painting it or filling it with sand if more welding was going to be required.

I am tempted to increase the size of the sand chamber - curious to know how much mass people think is adequate (I know - how long is a piece of string). I am not a big proponent of bolting lathes to the floor as I believe the mass really needs to be in the bench itself to dampen vibration.

The chap at Axminster asked me if I needed any help lifting the lathe out of the car - ah, yes please...

Anyway, checked the new lathe at the warehouse which meant cutting the straps. I left the box on but failed to strap the lathe down. Of course it tipped off the pallet on the way home when going around a roundabout on the A303 :oops:

It was quite heavy to get back on the pallet in the back of my car in the layby - doh! Fortunately no damage done - it was a slow motion tip.

BM

bogmonster":1xkbjbxd said:
You are right about the toolrest Woodfarmer, it stinks. Somehow I kept pinching my forefinger between the gouge and the back edge of the rest. Early days but I think I am happy enough with the rest of the lathe though. My bench is not yet finished and still has no ballast in it so way too much vibration with my trial bowl but I can't hold this against the lathe - yet.

Happy with the rigidity of the bango and bed and the extension bed and riser are pretty good as well. I did get a little flex in the riser but was much less pronounced that on many of the lathes I looked at, especially those with an articulated outrigger assembly. Everything appears to lock tightly and adjust freely.

I won't have a proper idea until the bench is finished and my trial 7" ash bowl hardly tested the lathe - it looked a little ridiculous over the dropped bed extension but the trial was really to test the rigidity of the mounting point I made for the dropped bed extension. No point in painting it or filling it with sand if more welding was going to be required.

I am tempted to increase the size of the sand chamber - curious to know how much mass people think is adequate (I know - how long is a piece of string). I am not a big proponent of bolting lathes to the floor as I believe the mass really needs to be in the bench itself to dampen vibration.

The chap at Axminster asked me if I needed any help lifting the lathe out of the car - ah, yes please...

Anyway, checked the new lathe at the warehouse which meant cutting the straps. I left the box on but failed to strap the lathe down. Of course it tipped off the pallet on the way home when going around a roundabout on the A303 :oops:

It was quite heavy to get back on the pallet in the back of my car in the layby - doh! Fortunately no damage done - it was a slow motion tip.

BM

I brought mine back to France in the back of my Tipo :) plus the legs, and extension bed. No problems.

Well, I got some time to work on the bench today. Got to have a proper try of the lathe late in the day. I know I am a grumpy old git but where do I start?

Lack of power?
Lack of rigidity?
Poor finish?

Nope, none of the above, I am grumpy because I have nothing to be grumpy about. I knew my old lathe was cream crackered but the new lathe is head and shoulders better. Big roughing cuts without motor fade and dragging the tool rest in. Turning at much faster speeds without undue vibration. Easy adjustment of everything. Maybe I am in the honneymoon period but I am certainly happy. My cheapo bench, whilst a PITA to make, is really solid. I rouged out a bigish bowl tonight and it was a blast - great fun seeing how big I could make the shavings and how far I could launch them :)

Sure, a bigger lathe would have been better (and there are a couple of big jets on evil bay at the moment) but bang for buck this lathe is really good assuming it is reliable.

Overall I think me productivity will increase as well as the quality. Most importantly, I think the lathe will be a lot more fun to use.

BM

Back