Arnfest 2012 Swap Meet Photos--Part 1

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirkpoore1

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted some pics of last year's Arnfest(1) and it went over pretty well (see here). So I made sure I got some more shots this year. It was pretty cold, maybe 40 F in a 20+ mph wind, so I didn't take a lot of time to pose the shots--I had to keep moving. I'll try to post by category. Anyway, here we go:

Motors:
motor_oss.jpg

Big. 3hp 1ph, I think, and probably over a hundred pounds. With a nice Max spindle sander along side.

motors2.jpg

5 motors, handwheels, and a nice 9" Dewalt RAS from the 1950's.

motors.jpg

Seven motors, $2 each. I bought the one in the middle, 1/3 hp, for a pony motor on my rotary phase converter.

Vises:
vises.jpg

One metal working and three wood vises. The handsaw on the left is actually a two-man job, though a fairly small one.

saw_vises.jpg

Handsaw vises, plus saw setting tools.

chisels.jpg

Another vise, with a set of Stanley chisels (maybe a little high at $45).

Fences:
fences.jpg

A couple of table saw fences (Powermatic on the left, unknown on the right), plus a 4" jointer and an 8" tilt top tablesaw. I think the jointer was asking $80. The saw was being ruckered (transported across country) and handed off to another carrier here.

fences2.jpg

Biesemeyer fence minus rail ($80 and didn't sell), jointer fence, Dewalt MBC RAS yolk ($25), some other kind of guard (RAS? shaper?) for $35.

fences3.jpg

Three more fences, or at least parts for the same.

The Dollar Store:
dollar_store.jpg

Everything in the left bin was $10, the middle $5, and the right $1. I bought a tool rest for my lathe for $5.

five_dollars.jpg

Everything here was $5 each, mostly table saw and band saw parts.

More in Part 2.

Kirk

(1) Arn: Pretend you're name is Elvis. Now try to say "iron".:)

Part 2--But Wait, There's More!
Parts, Parts, and More Parts:
block_planes.jpg

Pulleys, and a couple of Stanley(?) block planes.

jointer_parts.jpg

Jointer parts. Or, if you're an optimist, a kit!

air_wrenches.jpg

Miscellaneous stuff, including two air wrenches and a plastic oiler. That brush didn't sell last year, either.:)

sander_drum.jpg

The sad, sad remains of a once proud Powermatic 30 belt/disk sander. The drum is still worth stripping off and reusing, I'd say.:) Plus some kind of belt guard, some bandsaw guide parts, table saw splitter parts, and yet another motor.

stuff.jpg

Stuff. Just stuff. And a motor.

unisaw_chucks.jpg

Do-it-yourself Unisaw kit. Just add a cabinet, table, and fence.:) Oh, you need a drill chuck?

parts2.jpg

DP motor mount, RAS guard, and other junk.

stands.jpg

Machine stands. $2 each. My rider bought these.

The machines are in Part 3.

Kirk

Part 3: The Machines

OK, on to the machines. Most of these were getting rides from one place to another, and weren't actually for sale:
red_BS.jpg

The nice red snowflake bandsaw was $200. It was a 12" saw from the '30's. I didn't ask the price on the Walker-Turner 6" jointer.

new_home_bound2.jpg

16" jointer, grinder, and a couple of nice drill presses.

old_drill.jpg

Nice little DP, built up from parts by the look of the paint job.

scroll_saw.jpg

24" scroll saw. Also Walker-Turner, I think. I don't know if this was for sale. Bigger scroll saws usually go for $100 or so over here.

tiller.jpg

The b*stard offspring of an unholy union between a unicycle and a gasoline powered vegetable chopper.

new_home_bound.jpg

Big belt sander, double-spindle shaper (Fay & Egan), and an Oliver 260 table saw.

jointer.jpg

6" Powermatic jointer from the 60's.

HDshaper.jpg

Delta shaper, minus motor, 1946. I've got one like this at home.

green_bs.jpg

Classic Delta bandsaw, circa 1950. Certainly the most copied bandsaw of all time.

dp_saw.jpg

Another DP, with an 8" table saw in the trailer. And more of the two man handsaw.

double_shaper.jpg

That double spindle shaper again, plus a big table saw (maybe 18" blade).

babbitt_bandsaw.jpg

A 14" C-frame bandsaw, with babbitt bearings. Partially restored and sold for only $100.

4jointer.jpg

And finally a little 4" jointer.

And a farewell shot:
van.jpg

Nope, this wasn't mine.:)

Not as many big machines as last year. I didn't get pictures of all the stuff being transferred from one truck to another, but here's a few shots taken by other guys:

IMG_1587_zps4cdd74f8.jpg

Buffer? Or truck axle?:)

IMG_1601_zpsf6d9538f.jpg

IMG_1609_zps9a3a352a.jpg

Rigging a tenoner.

There were some demos, including yours truly giving some machine guys a chance for hands-on with some hand planes:
IMG_1615_zps3bb7b6e3.jpg

(Where did all that gray hair come from?)

Oh, we were at a railroad museum for this:
IMG_1198_zps9b005ceb.jpg

Hope you enjoyed the tour.

Kirk

Nice one. Thanks for taking the time to post.
I like the stripped down bandsaw (C frame) but I'm not sure I'd wanna use it. My guarded 352 makes me wince since it took my finger tips.

Neil

dickm":249r3245 said:
Hmmm - SWMBO is off to visit daughter near Detroit in a couple of weeks. Wonder if I could persuade her to go round a few of these meets????? :D

You're missing CAMA this weekend (http://www.ctamachinery.com/), but there is a Midwest Tool Collectors Association (MWTCA) local gathering in Dearborn Michigan on October 20: http://www.mwtca.org/tool-meets.html.

If you'll be in Detroit, you might try the Henry Ford Museum too: http://www.thehenryford.org/museum/index.aspx

Kirk

Sadly, she won't be there till about 10 Oct, and comes back about 19 Oct. But in any case, anything interesting might be a bit above her baggage allowance :lol:

Back