Apron or Dustcoat?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Please don't blast yourself with ANY air. I did that 4o years ag and forced a germ into my hand. It swelled up to twice it's normal size and had to have countless trips to the hospital to have the pus drained out of it. Hand is still not 100% even now.
Thanks!! really appreciate that information. Never heard of anything like that happening, but will certainly take your advice. It sounds horrific.

Wilko apron, at college and work, althought at one workplace they didn't but I still wore mine. I wear clean casual clothes underneath and as mentioned, for wiping glue off my hands when I don't have something else on hand, especially when you have to work quickly with hide glue.

It's also a bit of a ritual, at the start of the day, put on the apron. At the end, take off and go home. Actually I wouldn't feel comfortable without my apron when I'm at work. It also tells customers I'm workshop staff and not one of the customer facing ones.

I used to just wear old clothes until the family started to get a bit narky about the dust coming inside so i got a boiler suit which i put on when im in the shop. Yes i need to improve my dust extraction but unfortunately for now i simply dont have the space for more than a little HPLV extractor with very tight angles on its hose so boiler suit it is

If I'm going to spend my day woodturning I will wear a turners smock. If, like yesterday I only turned a couple of plane knobs, I stayed in my apron. If I'm welding I wear a leather apron. In this weather I will keep my everyday apron on and wear a jacket which I can take off when I warm up. An apron to me is just a large, ready loaded tool belt that protects my clothes especially when gluing or occasional grinding. It normally only contains a pencil, a white chinagraph pencil, a red fine tip pen, 6" rule, a small square. a 2m tape measure, a rag and a pair of gloves. The workshop is attached to the house so I only have to remove my apron and wipe my feet when I need 'the facilities'.
As most of my woodturning is larger items I wear work trousers with pockets a wood turners smock and I always wear leather gloves, plus a Trend Airpro dust protection helmet. One day I didn’t put the helmet on for a very quick cut on a spindle cove and spent the rest of the day in the emergency eye clinic having a microscopic splinter removed from my cornea. I did meet some lovely NHS staff at the hospital though. For workshop warmth over the lathe I have installed an overhead infrared heater. I do turn lots of yew and recently rhododendron so PPE protection against dust is a must, as with all wood. Even with all the chip and dust extraction kit dust is still everwhere. I want bore anyone on my views of all the turners smocks on the market, that’s for another day.

PPE of choice, anything new my wife has bought me because "I'm sick of you looking like a tramp" going slightly def in one ear - not sure why.

Don't think I do it on purpose but it's pretty consistent over the last 20 years.

As most of my woodturning is larger items I wear work trousers with pockets a wood turners smock and I always wear leather gloves, plus a Trend Airpro dust protection helmet. One day I didn’t put the helmet on for a very quick cut on a spindle cove and spent the rest of the day in the emergency eye clinic having a microscopic splinter removed from my cornea. I did meet some lovely NHS staff at the hospital though. For workshop warmth over the lathe I have installed an overhead infrared heater. I do turn lots of yew and recently rhododendron so PPE protection against dust is a must, as with all wood. Even with all the chip and dust extraction kit dust is still everywhere. I want bore anyone on my views of all the turners smocks on the market, that’s for another day.
I have the original AirCap filter mask. The one with the separate battery pack that clips onto a belt behind you. Still going strong and no noticeable drop in battery life. If I'm having a turning day I wear Bluetooth earbuds to protect my hearing and listen to a book. My regular Bluetooth over-the-ear defenders won't fit over or under the AirCap. It's no big deal, it's not normally a noisy pastime. I have gloves for various jobs too, especially for live edge bowls or more recently, a root ball. I know some have a negative opinion about gloves in the workshop. But, as with everything, it's a weigh-up between when it's safer with or without them. And, Aldi work trousers for me are a must. Just wish they did a short leg so I don't have to turn them up.

i have an apron, i like the veritas as the straps go over the shoulder. Normal aprons hurt my neck when i put stuff in the pockets. Mine is covered with glue and as i tend to wear my usual stuff in the garage it does it job. I did recently upgrade to the balck one after having the tan one one for 15 years. Purely cosmetic.
I have an air cap too, very good i find that as it is so easy to put on. I actually use it..

PPE of choice, anything new my wife has bought me because "I'm sick of you looking like a tramp" going slightly def in one ear - not sure why.
Don't think I do it on purpose but it's pretty consistent over the last 20 years.

Yep, same here.
My wife keeps buying me clothes, in an attempt to stop me looking like a tramp.
She then gets cross because I wear them (in the workshop). :unsure::D

I settled on both a heavy duty waxed canvas apron (Katz Moses) and a full length eather Apron (Connoley of Sheffield I think it is called). I bounce between the two depending on what I do. The former is heavy duty, practical and well thought out. The latter surprisingly supple and moveable. I have tried other items, tool belts etc but they have not worked for me.

I wear an old army khaki overall - still with the quartermaster's store label inside - even though my wife says I look like something from Open All Hours!

Just a fleece which I knock against the kids trampoline to get rid of the dust before I come back in 😊

Back