Apron or Dustcoat?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JangoTrooper

Established Member
Reaction score
As the thread suggests what’s your preferred PPE?

Is there a reason for one over the other?

Does anyone consider the dustcoat for warmth over an apron?

I suppose this PPE could be used for woodworking or metalworking.

I have tried to embrace the apron, I even bought a good one, but I am not keen. I try to get rid of as much dust at source as possible and then wear something that doesn't matter if it gets a bit dusty. ideally 2 layers so that I can take one off and give it a shake before I come inside.

I have both hanging on a peg and to be honest that is where they stay most of the time , the dust coat for for nippy mornings till i get warmed up is about all the use i get out of them.

Sounds like you definitely need to improve your dust extraction, I don’t wear either, never have, and when I see the clowns on TV with their weird eccentric leather aprons I wonder, do they actually really wear them when they’re doing any work or is it just for the tv, I would find them very restricting. Ian

I use an apron when using glue or applying finishes. Its mostly too warm here for anything like a dust coat. I do cover up a bit more for some woodturning and have a few old hospital jackets. Good for lathe work as they have wrist cuffs and the neck does up to keep the chips out.
Regards
John

I have an old lab coat hanging in the workshop which I will use to protect my clothes if I'm just popping in for a moment to do a potentially grimy task, but don't generally use it if I'm going in to undertake a planned task.

I tend to either change into dedicated set of duck cotton bib and braces with an old t-shirt as my clothes or don a boilersuit over my clothes if I'm going into the workshop knowing I'll be doing a task lasting any length of time involving anything dirty enough to warrant PPE.

I have two boilersuits hanging up with the lab coat, one nomex one for welding and one with sleeves specifically designed to be rolled up which is ideal for working with rotating equipment.

I simply cannot abide aprons.

Last edited:
An apron when gluing and finishing. A leather apron, when working with rough sawn stock.
Otherwise, just a cotton work jacket and trousers.

I Normally just wear my work clothes for everything. I constantly chop and change what I do. I can't be bothered changing into different clothing for doing different things. I have developed my default set of clothing. DeWalt work trousers which have all the stuff I need in my pockets. I often use my trousers for wiping my hands clean of paint, glue, grease etc, so they are usually pretty grubby. I have a warm working jacket and good thermal underwear for cold days....(Nov. to March!). My next workshop will probably be very hot!. I think that wearing a half face mask helps keep me warm! The most important thing is knee protection. If I have been doing something dusty, I might give myself a blast with high pressure air.
For metal work, I have been known to wear a chamois apron, which belonged to my dad. Knowing him, it was possibly made from road kill :LOL: I use grinders and cutters a lot, the sparks burn stitching, so I have a supply of leather gloves, which tend to fall to bits after a while. My work clothes are made to work.

Overalls for painting or really messy jobs. Apron is used for certain jobs. I have a dust coat I use when popping out to the shop in my "normal" clothes. Most of the time though I just wear dedicated workshop clothes and don't worry about the dirt.

Veritas Apron most of the time. It’s very robust cotton with sensible click fixings rather than having to tie the strings behind my back. Right number of useful pockets.

just started to make a light weight leather apron........
with a pocket on the left side high up for a multi layer ally foil sandwitch...reason is a DE Fib pacemaker.....I do a lot of welding.....
also it will be down to boot leval for grinding/welding sparks as mostley here apart from a few short weeks it's always 20 degree's plus.....so wearing shorts and a T most of the time.....
when wood butchering never bother with any protection other than gloves for seriuosly rough wood.....NOW.....!!!!
after a week of trying......
IMG_4839.jpeg

hahaha.....

This time of year is thermal top, old fleece hoodie, old gilet (less restrictive than a jacket), pair of work trousers- DeWalt or Stanley, whichever is clean) Never thought about an apron, but do very little grinding and no welding.

If I'm going to spend my day woodturning I will wear a turners smock. If, like yesterday I only turned a couple of plane knobs, I stayed in my apron. If I'm welding I wear a leather apron. In this weather I will keep my everyday apron on and wear a jacket which I can take off when I warm up. An apron to me is just a large, ready loaded tool belt that protects my clothes especially when gluing or occasional grinding. It normally only contains a pencil, a white chinagraph pencil, a red fine tip pen, 6" rule, a small square. a 2m tape measure, a rag and a pair of gloves. The workshop is attached to the house so I only have to remove my apron and wipe my feet when I need 'the facilities'.

I was supposed to wear a dustcoat to teach in but found it to hot and restrictive. Always used an apron and do so at home. If settling in to a job it's old clothes and apron, if popping into the workshop then I slip apron on over what I have on.
I'm surprised footwear has not come up. Whilst they offer no protection from something landing on your feet I'm a Croc convert. They are so comfortable and cool in summer yet warm in winter. You must however buy the genuine jobs and not the rip off cheapos.

Colin

I like 1/4 zip pullover fleeces and the old ones all end up as workshop clothes. Cotton / sweatshirt types in the same style are my goto for grinding and welding as the sparks may char but don't melt or set anything alight.
Can't abide aprons.
Lab coats annoy me too.
That turners smock Colwin Way designed for Axminster is good because of the short baggy sleeves and velcro tabs that snug them up in use.

I just wear old clothes, I like the idea of an apron with a hundred pockets and everything I need to hand, but I've never felt a genuine need to have an apron. A fishing bodywarmer thing with several pockets is something I can see myself using though, keeps the arms free

I Normally just wear my work clothes for everything. I constantly chop and change what I do. I can't be bothered changing into different clothing for doing different things. I have developed my default set of clothing. DeWalt work trousers which have all the stuff I need in my pockets. I often use my trousers for wiping my hands clean of paint, glue, grease etc, so they are usually pretty grubby. I have a warm working jacket and good thermal underwear for cold days....(Nov. to March!). My next workshop will probably be very hot!. I think that wearing a half face mask helps keep me warm! The most important thing is knee protection. If I have been doing something dusty, I might give myself a blast with high pressure
Please don't blast yourself with ANY air. I did that 4o years ag and forced a germ into my hand. It swelled up to twice it's normal size and had to have countless trips to the hospital to have the pus drained out of it. Hand is still not 100% even now.

Waxed cotton apron. Honestly, mostly for the pockets. Having certain tools in a known place really improves flow. It's very useful for glue ups to just be able to wipe my hands on it also.

I have a bit of a love hate relationship with it though, I do wonder about having a tool holder on a belt clip for the essentials, which means I can then weather the apron as PPE rather than tool holder.

Latest posts

Back