Van Dyke Crystals

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what can be either mixed or applied over Van Dyke Crystals to give more warmth to the colour? What would have been the traditional method (if there was one)?

Does anyone know what can be either mixed or applied over Van Dyke Crystals to give more warmth to the colour? What would have been the traditional method (if there was one)?

If your perception is that the applied dye creates a 'cold' colour mix other colours into the base Van Dyke (walnut) brown: red and yellow are two I've used many times to adjust the hue of the base colour making it warmer. With a bit of playing around with proportions of different dyes in the mix, plus sample boards, you should be able to achieve the desired colour in one application, which is one traditional approach. There are others, including application stages using different mediums to achieve required results, but I think I'll duck describing any of those options.

The following is stating the obvious, but thought I'd better say it anyway: you can only mix one diluted dye or stain with another that uses the same solvent, e.g., water solvent dye/stain with water solvent dye/stain, spirit with spirit, oil with oil, etc. Slainte.

Last edited:
You're right in saying that the Van Dyke colour is rather a cold tone. I use it to give a chosen wood stain colour a more 'antique' and characterful tone.
So, as was stated already, I would mix up my chosen water-based wood stain first and then add the Van Dyke slowly to give the stain more character.
Try using a Walnut stain first, add a little Mahogany to warm it up and then add the Van Dyke.

Back