Van Dyke crystals into oil - how?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintandsteel

Established Member
Reaction score
This may be covered on one of the many previous posts but I've not found it.
My working with timber is mostly confined to making peg looms .... a lot of peg looms for home crafts weaving.
Time permitting I also restore old flintlock and percussion guns.
As regards the latter I all too often have to inlet small pieces of timber as part of the restoration process.
I use Van Dyke solution fairly regularly.
Ideally I'd like to get the Van Dyke into oil and wax so as to maintain the overall shading throughout.
The wax would be for filling the smallest areas such as worm tracks and holes.

Is there good way of creating an oil or wax mix?

not really. They are insoluble to oil, if mixed esp with hardening finishes they tend to lead to a crackle type finish. The can be applied between coats thinly with a good deal of time being given to each layer drying before application, that's for both the finish and the dye. It will tend to pool into blobs when brushed on over a hard finish but can be applied by dabbing with a sponge.

hth

Sounds like I need washing up liquid then!!!
Really, same way as cleaning a greasy pan. Emulsify grease / oil and soap then add water.
My only issue with that mix is would soap create other issues?
Was trying to avoid that just in case but might try a small mix to find out.
If this works then the aim will be to create a ph neutral soap base with Lye and oil which I have in anyway. Lye - caustic soda removes rust which is often a primary restoration issue with old guns.

Last edited:
Lye soap has been a taditional finish for furniture in Scandinavia for centuries.

Back