Anyone using Paslode 1st Fix Nailer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark18PLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to buy a Paslode framer but am stuck between the 350+ and the 360ci are their any reasons to go for one over the other?

I don't want to go for a Dewalt or Hikoki and would prefer to stick with Paslode.

Cheers

AFAIK the 360 uses a particular type of nail (offset full head) and a unique gas cannister which are only available from Passlode - and Passlode are very expensive for consumables, which is by far the biggest cost of running a nailer, in comparison to the likes of Rawl, Fischer, etc. It's true that the 360 can fire screw nails and is also more powerful (105J vs. 82J of the 350), but unless you are dealing with dense hardwoods it makes very little difference in the real world of softwood framing

You might like to know that my three Rawl gas nailers (WW90CH) and my older Senco gas nailer (GT90CH) can also fire those offset full head nails and are more powerful than the 350, but having had the DW DCN692 and currently also having as Hikoki NR1890 I can say that the current crop of cordless nailers seem to be no worse in performance than the 350 whilst not having the issues that gas can bring.

So unless you absolutely need to drive screw nails or have an architectural spec which calls for full head offset nails the 360 fires but the 350 cannot, it will be a very expensive option. It's also worth noting that if you need a full head gas nailer both the Rawl and Senco guns are available in full head 20° versions

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, I am thinking of getting rid of my paslode 2nd fix, i don't use it too much but find the gas is out of date before i can finish it. I am looking at the Hikoki, Milwauke or the dewalt, seem to be reading really good things about the Milwaukee.

I am looking at the Hikoki, Milwauke or the dewalt, seem to be reading really good things about the Milwaukee.
If you install fine grained hardwoods, e.g. mahogany, maple, etc) then scratch the DW (DCN660) as it struggles to sink pins in that although on softwood, OSB MDF, etc it is fine. I changed to Hikoki (1st and 2nd fix) from DW 18 months ago for just that reason (Milwaukee's 2nd generation guns weren't out back then, whilst their 1st gen guns have far too many problems in site work - I has neither Milwaukee nor Hikoki battery platform so that had no influence on my choice)

If you install fine grained hardwoods, e.g. mahogany, maple, etc) then scratch the DW (DCN660) as it struggles to sink pins in that although on softwood, OSB MDF, etc it is fine. I changed to Hikoki (1st and 2nd fix) from DW 18 months ago for just that reason (Milwaukee's 2nd generation guns weren't out back then, whilst their 1st gen guns have far too many problems in site work - I has neither Milwaukee nor Hikoki battery platform so that had no influence on my choice)

Would you mind educating me a little?

Why could you not use the framing nailer to put floorboards down if you only needed a 45mm nail or as another example if you were making a gate and using feather boards which are very thin, are the pins available very different or is it just down to size?

Sorry for the daft question 🙂

Last edited:
Shortest nail a 1st fix nailer can fire is 50mm. The clipped heads on first fix nailers are downright ugly, especially as 1st fix nailers tend to punch the heads under - so not a fine finish, although perfectly acceptable for sub-flooring where something like engineered wood, laminate etc will subsequently be laid on top. 1st fix nail sizes (in UK) are generally 50, 63, 70, 75 and 90mm - plain shank or annular ring shank galvanised steel are the most common although stainless steel and screw nails are available. Frankly if a neat nailed finish is required I'd either go for an oval nail or a cut nail and hand nail them or alternatively with T&G I'd consider secret nailing with either a 15 ga gun or a Portanailer (which fires a barbed tapered flat nail)

The pins in a 2nd fix nailer are very different. 15 ga pins are more akin to panel pins in size, being round in section and having a medium sized head. 16ga pins and smaller (18ga and 22/23 ga) are rectangular and come as collated strips. The 16 ga whilst nominally only slightly smaller than a 15 ga nail has far lower pull out resistance and is a lot stronger. 16 ga and smaller are unsuitable for structural work.15 ga has limited uses

I used one a good bit (350) , always hated the exhaust smell.

If I was nailgunning now I would get a cordless "air spring" design like Senco Fusion, Hikoki, or Milwaukie, even Ryobi do one.
No gas to buy , less servicing, and you can run a couple of batteries and have no down time.
I would not get one of the flywheel style as they are just not as nice.

Ollie

If I was nailgunning now I would get a cordless "air spring" design like Senco Fusion, Hikoki, or Milwaukie, even Ryobi do one.-
It's may be worth potential users knowing about running costs even with these guns. The Senco and Milwaukee guns use a factory pressurised nitrogen cylinder which has a certain life before it needs to be replaced (because it loses all pressure). My understanding is that this isn't cheap. Don't k ow how reliable the 2and generation Milwaukees are, but the first generation had overheating issues when bump nailing (presumably hence the redesign) whilst the Fusion has a bit of a chequered history (with sticking drive pins, misfires and mode lock being common problems)

Hikoki guns use compressed air which when it finally discharges can be repressurised by a Hikoki service centre, a cheaper process. The Ryobi is a bit plasticky inside and probably not suitable for intensive use (see the YouTube strip down of one by AvE)

I would not get one of the flywheel style as they are just not as nice.
I used DW guns both 1st and 2nd generation for well over 10 years (in the case of 2nd fix, 5 years first fix). They are different to gas nailers, mainly heavier and bulkier, but "not as nice" doesn't really explain your objections very clearly. Could you please elucidate them?

It's may be worth potential users knowing about running costs even with these guns. The Senco and Milwaukee guns use a factory pressurised nitrogen cylinder which has a certain life before it needs to be replaced (because it loses all pressure). My understanding is that this isn't cheap. Don't k ow how reliable the 2and generation Milwaukees are, but the first generation had overheating issues when bump nailing (presumably hence the redesign) whilst the Fusion has a bit of a chequered history (with sticking drive pins, misfires and mode lock being common problems)

Hikoki guns use compressed air which when it finally discharges can be repressurised by a Hikoki service centre, a cheaper process. The Ryobi is a bit plasticky inside and probably not suitable for intensive use (see the YouTube strip down of one by AvE)

I used DW guns both 1st and 2nd generation for well over 10 years (in the case of 2nd fix, 5 years first fix). They are different to gas nailers, mainly heavier and bulkier, but "not as nice" doesn't really explain your objections very clearly. Could you please elucidate them?

So by the sounds of it the Paslode are not too bad, i suppose they all have their good and bad points.

I bought the 350+ New for my workshop build last year with the intention of moving it on after. Since then though it has been used on fencing, a framing project at the local bowls club, creation of an arbour and, now planning has been approved, a pavilion sized summerhouse in the garden.
I have never bought genuine Paslode nails or gas nd have never had a problem or misfire. It is a weighty piece of kit and I did end up with tennis elbow after the workshop build, but I did fire in nearly four and a half thousand nails.

I bought the 350+ New for my workshop build last year with the intention of moving it on after. Since then though it has been used on fencing, a framing project at the local bowls club, creation of an arbour and, now planning has been approved, a pavilion sized summerhouse in the garden.
I have never bought genuine Paslode nails or gas nd have never had a problem or misfire. It is a weighty piece of kit and I did end up with tennis elbow after the workshop build, but I did fire in nearly four and a half thousand nails.
Good to know, i read quite a a lot of people dislike paslode because of the gas etc but i am starting to think they are not too bad and as i said earlier they all have good and pad points. One thing i like about the paslode is that parts a readily available and they are very easy to service.

Back