anyone recommend a cheapish drill?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hazel

Established Member
Reaction score
as I am between jobs right now I am getting a bit of work doing sort of odd jobs for people. Mainly laying decking at the moment. As such have realised that I may need to purchase a drill as I don't currently own one, and can't steal my boyfriends ever time I get a job :p . However, I don't have a huge budget but don't want to waste my time getting a cheap thing which either doesn't last or needs charging too often while I am in someone's house/garden (as such 2 batteries would be a prefferance), also needs to be small and light enough to travel about with me as I am currently between vehicles as well as jobs lol

also don't think I need a hammer setting right now, but it's one of those things that's always a bonus for the day that you do need it lol

any reccomendations?

I'd consider getting an extension lead (always useful) and a mains powered drill. Much cheaper then the battery equivalent and more reliable (if you have somewhere to plug it in of course).

main reason I was thinking battery power was mains obviously depends on where I am working. Some people seem to dislike me using their power, or house in any way...

i'd be tempted to get a plug in drill, with hammer action, you can be putting in some big screws whilst doing decking and for a small budget you'd get more oomph with a plug in and proper hammer action when needed.

cordless hammer action in my opinion is emergency use only even with a good quality drill (excluding 24v sds)

don't worry about using power on site from the householder, it's perfectly acceptable.

get whatever you can afford or justify, the majority of people start off with cheap stuff and you can do plenty with it, it might not have all the bells and whistles but will get you there.

nathan

If you go cordless don't get anything less than 18v. Makita or Dewalt are good in my experience. I'm on my second Makita and have a Dewalt too. (Trade use). An 18v should cope with anything you throw at it. I find the Makita has the edge over the Dewalt on 4" screws and above. You should get a drill with 2 batteries in a case for less than £100

EDit: I used one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-8391dw ... rill/84044 daily for 3 years Great tool. (Cad battery....the Li-lon batteries are more expensive and no better for my money, slightly lighter though)
Or this http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc100k ... ls-_-DC100

As mentioned above the hammer action is the old percussion type that was standard until SDS came along. Now everyone uses SDS for masonry and wouldn't dream of using a percussion drill as the difference is so vast. (Me included). However it will get you out of a corner if you only have a couple of holes to drill and the material isn't too tough.

DON'T buy second hand. Usually knackered and possibly stolen from another tradesman.

nathandavies":3hnyytkm said:
don't worry about using power on site from the householder, it's perfectly acceptable.

you'd think, but yesterday the woman wouldn't allow me inside to use the toilet :/ so who knows lol

and in some places it could just be inconvenient, however, I can see the advantages of a mains drill, just not sure of the convenience

Grayorm":h1h1eppr said:
If you go cordless don't get anything less than 18v. Makita or Dewalt are good in my experience. I'm on my second Makita and have a Dewalt too. (Trade use). An 18v should cope with anything you throw at it. I find the Makita has the edge over the Dewalt on 4" screws and above. You should get a drill with 2 batteries in a case for less than £100

EDit: I used one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/makita-8391dw ... rill/84044 daily for 3 years Great tool. (Cad battery....the Li-lon batteries are more expensive and no better for my money, slightly lighter though)

As mentioned above the hammer action is the old percussion type that was standard until SDS came along. Now everyone uses SDS for masonry and wouldn't dream of using a percussion drill as the difference is so vast. (Me included). However it will get you out of a corner if you only have a couple of holes to drill and the material isn't too tough.

DON'T buy second hand. Usually knackered and possibly stolen from another tradesman.

oh wouldn't dream of getting one second hand, appart from anything else the batters would probably be past it and replacements are stupidly expensive.

18v being the cut off had crossed my mind too, though both Makita and Dewalt are a bit on the pricey side... one of those catch 22 things I guess, hard to justify spending much until I have more consistent work coming in, but would be more likely to be able to take work and get work done faster if I had a drill... so... ye lol, will do some maths and come up with a budget so I have something to work with I think

hazel":3sfr593u said:
Grayorm":3sfr593u said:

oh wouldn't dream of getting one second hand, appart from anything else the batters would probably be past it and replacements are stupidly expensive.

18v being the cut off had crossed my mind too, though both Makita and Dewalt are a bit on the pricey side... one of those catch 22 things I guess, hard to justify spending much until I have more consistent work coming in, but would be more likely to be able to take work and get work done faster if I had a drill... so... ye lol, will do some maths and come up with a budget so I have something to work with I think

What sort of work are you looking for?

As i don't need to use my drill/driver all day every day, I am not so sure that the smaller voltage ones should be ignored.
I tend to use my 10v Makita B.O.drill and driver constantly for 2 or 3 days and then hardly use them for 1 or 2 days.
I can put 2 or 3 boxes of 60 mm screws in during the day and the batteries keep up on charge, just.
They will also drive 150mm x5mm screws through a 4" notched newel into a sleeper, so it's powerful enough.
So unless you are screwing several boxes of screws and drilling up to 8 hours a day you could lessen the load on you're kit, and try one out. I was pleasantly surprised, it was an impulse buy, after a demo, at Jimmy Jewsons @£124. Happy christmas to me. 2012! Regards rodders

Grayorm":1d3t3zrw said:
What sort of work are you looking for?

whatever people will hire me for essentially lol. Had 2 decking jobs in the last few weeks, layed some floor boards the other day, and this week I am putting up some trellis

blackrodd":1osbk9xw said:
As i don't need to use my drill/driver all day every day, I am not so sure that the smaller voltage ones should be ignored.
I tend to use my 10v Makita B.O.drill and driver constantly for 2 or 3 days and then hardly use them for 1 or 2 days.
I can put 2 or 3 boxes of 60 mm screws in during the day and the batteries keep up on charge, just.
They will also drive 150mm x5mm screws through a 4" notched newel into a sleeper, so it's powerful enough.
So unless you are screwing several boxes of screws and drilling up to 8 hours a day you could lessen the load on you're kit, and try one out. I was pleasantly surprised, it was an impulse buy, after a demo, at Jimmy Jewsons @£124. Happy christmas to me. 2012! Regards rodders

guess worth thinking about... the extra power is nice to have for the times that its needed though, nothing more annoying than having a job and then realising your tools are not quite up to the task :p

hazel":151ta08i said:
you'd think, but yesterday the woman wouldn't allow me inside to use the toilet :/ so who knows lol

Hazel, that's absolutely disgraceful and not the kind of person I'd want to work for. Hope you got paid ok.

Easy to get over the power supply problem. Just stipulate in your quote (written or verbal) that you need to plug in an extension lead. I keep a kettle / tea stuff in the van and always state that an electricity and water supply are required.

cheers
Bob

meh, it was money. funniest part was when her husband came in from work and I was having a cig at the front of the house and he asked if I wanted to come inside for a bit as it was very cold and I was wet as it had been raining, I didn't go in as I wanted to get the job done so went back to work but I heard her having a go at him afterwards for inviting me in lol. I think she was mainly worried about mud in the houise... I had offered to take my boots off when I asked to use the toilet though, but meh

that is also genius! I may stipulate use of power and such in future. I like the ketle idea too :p but I am between vehicles at the moment so not possible for me at moment.

I'm very fussy Hazel :lol:

I actually take drinking / tea water with me 'cos it's filtered from my tap. Hope your customer gets caught short whilst she's out shopping as it might make her more likely to offer use of her facilities. Maybe you should have said ok then but I'm desperate so I'll just "go" in the garden :lol: :lol:

When you really ned the work you tend to put up with things - when you don't you can tell them to sod off and get somebody else.

Bob

If they are funny about power tell them you have to hire a generator and put it on the bill.
And I'd definitely have mains powered tools as the (cheaper) bottom line and go for batteries when there's no alternative.
You have to get on top of the client early on (so to speak) and remember rule 1 - "the customer is always wrong". But don't have it on your T shirt or anything, just keep it to yourself.

Jacob":38plg8fv said:
If they are funny about power tell them you have to hire a generator and put it on the bill.
And I'd definitely have mains powered tools as the (cheaper) bottom line and go for batteries when there's no alternative.
You have to get on top of the client early on (so to speak) and remember rule 1 - "the customer is always wrong"

I use both Jacob, but use the cordless constantly and couldn't manage if it was mains....or 14V.

As for not letting you use the power I'd start working a bill out for the work done so far and get ready to clear off. The loo is a different matter, although I've never had a problem yet with either.

Mucky boots: I carry polythene over shoes. They're just like shower caps really with an elastic rim. I use them when quoting, leaves a good impression.
If the job is taking a few days I use stick down carpet protector instead of dust sheets. more professional and much safer especially on stairs.

Mucky boots: I carry polythene over shoes. They're just like shower caps really with an elastic rim.

Plastic carrier bags and tape / rubber bands work just as well if you don't have the pucker gear. Doesn't quite give the same impression though :)

Latest posts

Back