Anyone out there with a Charnwood W812? Can a drill chuck be fitted to the tailstock?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy's Shed

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a W812 lathe and my Tailstock doesn't appear to use a Morse Taper, I'm wondering if a drill chuck could still be used somehow?

I've just emailed Charnwood asking the same question, but I thought I'd ask on the forum too. Thanks!

I don't have any experience with this lathe, but what you are asking should be possible.-You just need to find out what type of taper you do have, and then you can order an arbor to suit.
There are a few different sorts of Machine Tapers out there. and If you can measure your existing one accurately , you should be able to track it down on the internet. There is some information about these on Wikipedia that might help

From Googling that model, I'd be stunned if it's NOT a 2MT tailstock - it looks very much like the current Charnwood W813, and many similar lathes (e.g. the Axminster AWVSL900). Are you sure that whatever is in your tailstock isn't using a 2MT? If you wind it all the way in, does the current tailstock fitting not pop out?

If the tailstock is hollow it will be possible.
There's a chance it's not self ejecting in which case a knockout bar should get the tailstock centre out.
Post a pic of the centre and someone will certainly be able to recognise what type it is

I have a W812 lathe and my Tailstock doesn't appear to use a Morse Taper, I'm wondering if a drill chuck could still be used somehow?

I've just emailed Charnwood asking the same question, but I thought I'd ask on the forum too. Thanks!
I've just checked my W812 tailstock and it is definately MT1.
Perhaps some thing is stuck in there? Try bashing it out with a steel rod perhaps (towards the headstock obviously).
Mine has a live centre MT1 in't tailstock at the moment.
I'm curious now, please let us know how you go on.

Thanks all, I have to admit that I feel like a right numpty now. I took a photo from the dark side of the lathe (the side that I don't see) and low and behold it clearly says MT1 on the centre! A good solid poke with the knockout bar popped it out. 👌

I've spoken with Dave at Charnwood and the part has now been ordered.

20230111_155621.jpg

The lathe will have a morse taper but from memory it is probably a number 1 morse taper. I think you will be able to download a manual from the internet and that will cover the specification of the machine

Back