Anyone else had this flu bug? Now in week 5!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
I had 3 weeks of heavy flu, then it just seemed to go away. 2 Visits to the doc and all they could advise was to rest and take fluids. I already knew that but the wife made me go.
I had week 4 back at work, feeling tired all the time but no other symptoms, then at weekend it came back again with a bang. Coughing and sneezing constantly and zero energy, even my eyeballs hurt!

Are these flu strains getting stronger? I remember having a really bad bout ten or so years ago and that only lasted 2 weeks.

I didn't have a flu jab this year, but the doc said that she had and still got it because it was a different strain. She too was off 5 weeks!

I've had one week so far and I am not 100% yet, feels like the worst has passed but who knows if it'll make another comeback. The whole family has been laid out with this, even had to visit the ER on thursday night with one of the boys who had breathing trouble, I was having a high fever myself at the time and had to run around outside in the wind which I don't think helped.

Wow that's not good Dennis. My 15yr old daughter was in bed for a week with it, and nothing much stops her usually, she went back to school after a week but was still coughing 2 weeks after that. My wife has avoided it completely, she reckons it's because she takes multi vitamins every day. The doc told me that you should take vitamin C and zinc every day to keep it at bay.

Had it Start of January
4 weeks it lasted with a 3 night stay in hospital as I couldn't catch a breath. Lot better now thankfully and back at work
Still get told I sound a bit wheezy when I exert my self

Not flu exactly but I've had this mucous at the back of my throat for weeks. Can't shift it by blowing my nose so it just stays there until I swallow the muck. Has anyone else had this? If so, did you take anything for it? Did it work? How long did it last - weeks?

K

graduate_owner":3swtv8fx said:
Not flu exactly but I've had this mucous at the back of my throat for weeks. Can't shift it by blowing my nose so it just stays there until I swallow the muck. Has anyone else had this? If so, did you take anything for it? Did it work? How long did it last - weeks?

K

That's how mine started, and a friend too. Worse when you first wake up.

RogerBoyle":poo7zafq said:
Had it Start of January
4 weeks it lasted with a 3 night stay in hospital as I couldn't catch a breath. Lot better now thankfully and back at work

Wow that's not good Roger. Do you have breathing problems to start with? I have asthma and a cold always triggers it, had to go once before with flu for a nebulizer. They sent me home same night though. Last night was the nearest I've been to going to the hozzy. Much better tonight.

graduate_owner":27fs7n4b said:

K

I had this in mid January. Because I didn't have any other systems which could point towards a flu like problem my doctor asked lots of questions and diagnosed acid reflux. This causes the throat to produce a protective mucus with the resultant dry annoying cough. She gave me some acid suppressing capsules and it cleared up in a couple of days.

Graham Orm":2o5p9nca said:
RogerBoyle":2o5p9nca said:
Had it Start of January

Wow that's not good Roger. Do you have breathing problems to start with? I have asthma and a cold always triggers it, had to go once before with flu for a nebulizer. They sent me home same night though. Last night was the nearest I've been to going to the hozzy. Much better tonight.

I've no breathing problems and other than some back issues in very good health
I cycle around 100 mile a week on a recreational basis , Swim and Play golf.
I was given the choice by wifey. Either go myself or get an Ambulance

:twisted:
Instead I went to the local Doctor and she referred me to the Hospital LOL

Roger

graduate_owner":3iu6adqv said:

K

I had this in mid January. Because I didn't have any other systems which could point towards a flu like problem my doctor asked lots of questions and diagnosed acid reflux. This causes the throat to produce a protective mucus with the resultant dry annoying cough. She gave me some acid suppressing capsules and it cleared up in a couple of days.

I am finely ok again after being off work for 2 weeks. That feeling when you wake up and realise that you have fully recovered is incredible!

SlayWitch":2ate5xhb said:
I am finely ok again after being off work for 2 weeks. That feeling when you wake up and realise that you have fully recovered is incredible!

I had that feeling last Wednesday, then by Sunday back to square one!

Week 5 here now too it seems and while the adults are getting better one of the kids is in the hospital now. Last friday both kids got worse and on tuesday we went to the hospital because Davids been so lethargic and wasn't drinking or eating. So he's been there since with an IV and getting some kind of asthma medication to help his breathing (ventolin they call it here), test results show he has RSV. I am not sure if they picked up this bug in addition to what they already got, or if this RSV is what we've all had for ages now.

graduate_owner":bf28fnp2 said:

K
We've had it too (still got it).
Salt solution - 1 tsp salt in cup of water about blood heat (i.e. not too strong not too hot). Sniff it up each nostril and blow it out, gargle with it, keep going til you've used it all up. Works brilliantly!

DennisCA":1hlor8n1 said:
Week 5 here now too it seems and while the adults are getting better one of the kids is in the hospital now. Last friday both kids got worse and on tuesday we went to the hospital because Davids been so lethargic and wasn't drinking or eating. So he's been there since with an IV and getting some kind of asthma medication to help his breathing (ventolin they call it here), test results show he has RSV. I am not sure if they picked up this bug in addition to what they already got, or if this RSV is what we've all had for ages now.

Sorry to hear that Dennis. Hope you're close to the end of it all. Hope the youngster is getting better. He's in the right place.

My wife had it in February, lasted 3 weeks. She decided to give up alcohol after Christmas, she was normally having a glass of wine each evening before. She had a kidney infection in January, this flu in February, and has been suffering with a cold for the last 2 weeks.

You have been warned!

Back