I may be allergic to wood. It seems I'm not.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Graham Orm

Established Member
Reaction score
You may have seen my other post about this flu virus that I've had for over 5 weeks now. It's still there and impeding everything I do. I went to the doc for the third time yesterday and she has raised my Asthma medication to the next level which has helped tremendously with my breathing.

However I still have heavy cold symptoms, sneezing and coughing etc. I decided to look up the best form of dust protection for when I go back in the workshop. I already have a half face mask, but have neglected to change the filters, and was about to buy the best all singing all dancing mask and filters I could find, when I came across this on the HSE website.
Asthma.JPG

The last work I did before becoming ill was hanging a pine door. I also did quite a bit of work in the workshop using red softwood making a couple of frames for some bedside cabinets.

I noticed that my arms were itchy whilst working in the workshop (which is a symptom), to the extent that I ordered a warehouse coat for the workshop. (I usually wear short sleeved tops and an apron). I was also frustrated by the amount of sap I kept getting on my hands from the softwood, this too can trigger allergies.

My flu went pretty much completely at the end of week 3, I went back to work for 2 days and back into the shop, and it came back worse than ever. Add to this that in 6 weeks, my wife hasn't caught it and it all points to allergy.

Having written my thoughts down it appears even moreso that this must be what it is. I've rung the supplier of the wood I was using in the shop and traced it back to the importer, they tell me it was Scots Pine imported from Finland.

Next I think, is the doc again to see if there are any tests available.

Do you know of any? Have you heard of anyone being tested?

EDIT: I've not been near any cedar or iroko.

Thanks Graham.

Attachments

• Asthma.JPG
    Asthma.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 1,392
Graham hopefully on this occasion, your completely wrong, but I also think your correct in bringing it to your doctors attention, in your shoes I would insist on being referred to the appropriate profesional, let's just hope your flu like symptoms are being caused by something entirely different.

Take care

Stew

Thanks Stew, I've spoken to the doc over the phone, she's consulting with another GP and coming back to me.

Had a look on google for info on wood allergies and I came across the following:

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?41436-Question-on-wood-allergies#4

I was having a problem with itchy arms, was so bad that I would draw blood when scratching. I think it might of been cat hairs that was the cause, the reason I think that is because after the cat didn't came home one day the problems stopped.

As Stew said hopefully its not wood related and your doing the right thing going to the doctor. I went to see mine and he said it was dermatitis and gave me some cream to rub on my arms when the itching gets bad.

Graham i had really bad flu like symptoms just before Xmas.My nose wouldn't stop running and i've never sneezed so much in my life.This i had for about three weeks and still didn't feel right when it finally went.
Now i have had a bad chesty cough for the last week and half which finally seems to be getting better now but still feel weak and no energy.
I always wear my 3m dustmaster when in the shop and have the extraction on when sanding, so i just hope it's not dust related in my case.
I hope you feel better soon :D

Chas perhaps you should put those warnings in the general woodwork section as well??

Paul.J":2eaj4nun said:
Graham i had really bad flu like symptoms just before Xmas.My nose wouldn't stop running and i've never sneezed so much in my life.This i had for about three weeks and still didn't feel right when it finally went.
Now i have had a bad chesty cough for the last week and half which finally seems to be getting better now but still feel weak and no energy.
I always wear my 3m dustmaster when in the shop and have the extraction on when sanding, so i just hope it's not dust related in my case.
I hope you feel better soon :D

Chas perhaps you should put those warnings in the general woodwork section as well??

I have a friend in the motor trade who had the same symptoms you describe for about 2 weeks. His nose ran like a tap he said. he's fully recovered now. It's not a symptom I've had.

Get well soon.

Hi Graham,

Very sorry to read of your health problem. I can't suggest anything but I wish you a full recovery soon.

John

Doc rang back. There is no test available for this, and even if there was it wouldn't change my current treatment. The advice is to stay away from potential triggers until my symptoms have gone then try again. :(

Sorry to hear you're suffering with this.

If you can, it may be worth staying away from the shop until your symptoms go completely and you feel 100%, then go back at it and see if it re-occurs.

Do remember though that doctors don't know everything. We tend to rely on exactly what they say, and granted they are highly trained and probably better placed to make a judgement than most, but especially GP's, know enough about everything but not a lot about any one thing. You know you better than anyone else does. If the symptoms come back maybe seek a second opinion?

Craigus":nku4p12i said:
Sorry to hear you're suffering with this.

If you can, it may be worth staying away from the shop until your symptoms go completely and you feel 100%, then go back at it and see if it re-occurs.

Do remember though that doctors don't know everything. We tend to rely on exactly what they say, and granted they are highly trained and probably better placed to make a judgement than most, but especially GP's, know enough about everything but not a lot about any one thing. You know you better than anyone else does. If the symptoms come back maybe seek a second opinion?

I've been lucky in that the doc I saw, who is new to me seemed very interested and concerned at the appointment. She rang me that night to tell me that she'd made an apt for me to see the asthma nurse in a month, which I thought was good. I rang and left a message about my allergy query and she returned my call within the hour.
GP's have to be a jack of all trades I guess. I'll wait until I'm completely better then give things another try. Had to stop typing this for a sneezing fit. I think I'm destined to live the rest of my life with flu :|

Hi Graham, sorry to hear about your problems but I've heard of a lot of people who have had the flu virus this year lasting around 6 weeks so you could be coming to the end of it.

If it is an allergy you could consider a woodturners smock with velcroed fastenings at the wrists and collar. Lovely and comfortable in the winter but can get a bit hot in the summer! Also on your hands you could try disposable nitrile gloves. I use them doing woodwork, painting, gardening etc otherwise I get psoriasis. If you get sap on them chuck them away and put on a fresh pair. Finding what causes allergies can be a long process.

Regards Keith

Thanks for the input Woodchips. I am in week 6, lets hope it just goes away eh?

I had a very close friend who lived in Newton Abbot. He's from Manchester originally and retired down there. He died a couple of years ago. We visited several times and I had to travel down when sorting his will out. It's a lovely place. His name was Brian Mc.

Graham Orm":16bdbnvg said:

I had a very close friend who lived in Newton Abbot. He's from Manchester originally and retired down there. He died a couple of years ago. We visited several times and I had to travel down when sorting his will out. It's a lovely place. His name was Brian Mc.
We've only lived in Newton Abbot just over a year but also like the place very much. It's a bit of an old fashioned market town full of people chasing the sun in their retirement. We've found the Devonians a very friendly lot plus you can easily get an NHS dentist!

Hope you are feeling better.

Regards Keith

Woodchips2":8ol4ut6w said:
Graham Orm":8ol4ut6w said:

We've only lived in Newton Abbot just over a year but also like the place very much. It's a bit of an old fashioned market town full of people chasing the sun in their retirement. We've found the Devonians a very friendly lot plus you can easily get an NHS dentist!

Hope you are feeling better.

Regards Keith

Cheers Keith.

It seems it was flu. 6 Full weeks to the day it went as quick as it arrived. I've worked with pine this week and no bad effects.

Back