Anybody have any idea what this is?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thoughts was keyway broach too but it never sat true as keyway broach as there not tapered and being round shafts there is no way to use a locater. These kinds of broaches are flat normally.

Preston":2g56bw85 said:
Bugbear, my eye sight is not what it used to be, I got a magnifying glass out and now I can read on the cutters it says "Cookes improved hole cutter (800) patent no 216309".

Tell you what. From now on, can you please put around 30-60 seconds of time into trying to identifing stuff yourself before you scattergun photographs at the forum?

I don't mind helping someone who's tried to help themselves, i fact I rather enjoy it, but being asked to identify something which has the name already stamped on it is annoying.

BugBear

Preston -
I have missed names on things before, so don't feel too bad, eh? Easy done.

Caz (who is seeing double right now, having been trying to read names on tools)

Preston":3m8b6yl1 said:
Bugbear, my eye sight is not what it used to be, I got a magnifying glass out and now I can read on the cutters it says "Cookes improved hole cutter (800) patent no 216309".

Thanks Andy, that is brilliant detective work, curiosity got the better of me and I've been searching most of the morning to find out exactly what they are for. Now that we know, I vaguely remember using a morticer some 30 odd years ago with those same bits.

How about these, anybody know which block they are for?

Spindle moulder knives. But you already know that as you have referred to "block". They are illegal as they are single pin, and not for a modern limited block. Of no value to a commercial use, and most hobbyists wouldn't touch them for safety reasons.

Karl

Thanks Caroleb and Karl I appreciate it, I just hope Bugbear is not too upset with me.
This one has no writing on it whatsoever I checked in daylight and with a magnifying glass, I know it's some kind of vice but what sort and how does it work, is there something missing from it?

Attachments

• 100_7551.jpg
    100_7551.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 829
Preston":fx7mphhi said:
Thanks Caroleb and Karl I appreciate it, I just hope Bugbear is not too upset with me.
This one has no writing on it whatsoever I checked in daylight and with a magnifying glass, I know it's some kind of vice but what sort and how does it work, is there something missing from it?

This thread covered it quite thoroughly

https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/old-wood-vice-t59616.html

I find threads like these really interesting. Being a complete novice, who's interested in learning, I see photos of fascinating things I haven't a clue what they are, then find out from experienced folk who do know. So, I've learnt something. One happy bunny saying nothing is ever wasted, and thank you to Preston for starting the thread and all others who've contributed responses.

pebbles":20ci4ytl said:
I find threads like these really interesting. Being a complete novice, who's interested in learning, I see photos of fascinating things I haven't a clue what they are, then find out from experienced folk who do know. So, I've learnt something. One happy bunny saying nothing is ever wasted, and thank you to Preston for starting the thread and all others who've contributed responses.

May I recommend our own AndyT's magnificent work in putting online a full 1938 Marples Catalogue?

http://toolemera.com/Trade%20Catalogs/t ... gs193.html

Fascinating reading, for those interested in learning about old tools.

BugBear

Thank you for your encouraging comments Pebbles, I thought I was encroaching on people's good nature asking for identification of all these tools.

I have been in woodworking all my life and although I recognise most tools, there are some that I haven't used before, like this beautifully engineered marking tool from Brown & sharp.

What is it exactly and how is it used?

Attachments

• B & S.JPG
    B & S.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 556
  • B & S 2.JPG
    B & S 2.JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 556
Thanks Bugbear for that link - I shall enjoy perusing in quiet moments! And you're very welcome Preston, it's one of the things that's struck me about this site and why I linger - the level of helpful friendliness - or friendly helpfulness if you like - is lovely.

Thank you for AndyT's magnificent link BugBear, It’s the first time I've seen reference to Peugeot Frères tools, I have these plane irons by them picture here:

looking-for-advice-t75867.html

But I think the one I have must be contemporary ones because they have metric sizes. Anybody know anything about them?

Preston":mukklrx3 said:
Thank you for your encouraging comments Pebbles, I thought I was encroaching on people's good nature asking for identification of all these tools.

I have been in woodworking all my life and although I recognise most tools, there are some that I haven't used before, like this beautifully engineered marking tool from Brown & sharp.

What is it exactly and how is it used?

Is the not-a-ruler piece explicitly marked for B&S ?

BugBear

It certainly looks like a height gauge attachement, but it's not the B&S #465 (A or B) which had a separate point, not the integral point pictured.

BugBear

SteveF":195nfi87 said:
is it a height gauge ?

Steve

I would say so or at least for scribing.
Possibly user made and designed to work with the stock of the combination square in place as a stand base, hence the 45* shaping to the body allowing for reading/scribing down to the deck.
If the threaded clamp part is examined closely it is possible that the knurling on the thumbscrew is not up to B&S quality.

Cheers
Andy

You are absolutely right Andy, Well spotted thank you. On close examination not only is the thumbscrew not up to B&S standard, there are file marks all over the shaped stock.

Attachments

• 100_7654.JPG
    100_7654.JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 408
  • 100_7656.JPG
    100_7656.JPG
    134.3 KB · Views: 408
Back