Anybody have any idea what this is?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preston

Established Member
Reaction score
Clearing out the drawers in the workshop, I came across this, had it for years but I don’t remember where I got it from. Looks like a mini spokeshave.

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 1,647
Thanks bugbear that was an easy one. How about this one.
I know the name is Starrett Stair Gage Fixtures but what is it, what can one do with it?

Attachments

• picture.jpg
    picture.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,592
Preston":1v0zapjj said:
I know the name is Starrett Stair Gage Fixtures but what is it, what can one do with it?

Is this a quiz or a question?

BugBear

bugbear":k8hlkbuw said:
Preston":k8hlkbuw said:

Is this a quiz or a question?

BugBear

Sorry mate, no it's not a quiz, as I said I've had these in the drawers in my workshop for years never knowing what they are.

Are they an accessory for a steel square for use in setting out stair strings, one clamped on each leg to set the rise and the going.

There are what it says on the box stair gauges,and probably a duel use as a spar gauge fastens on a frame square work out the run and rise or going and riser and just fasten them on the square and you can mark the stringers or first spar out and away you go.

=D> just beat me to it. =D>

Thanks mate, I've been a Chair maker and cabinet maker all my life, even fitted quite a few stairs in my time and all the time these thing are hiding in the drawers. Learn something new every day, even at my age.

How about this one?

Attachments

• 100_7528.jpg
    100_7528.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 1,515
Interesting thread, the modern method is to use trigonometry but I find it often helps an apprentice to understand the principals of it if you can explane that the same method was used to work a roof out as what was used for a flight of stairs.

Preston":1yfajrru said:
Thanks mate, I've been a Chair maker and cabinet maker all my life, even fitted quite a few stairs in my time and all the time these thing are hiding in the drawers. Learn something new every day, even at my age.

How about this one?

It's sort of obviously a hole cutter for sheet metal, but I've never seen one exactly like that before.

It's a hybrid of a modern screw operated punch type:

http://www.harborfreight.com/knockout-p ... 91201.html

And a rotary cutter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HOUGEN-ROTACUT- ... 1107112798

Possibly by way of a tap washer seat cutter

http://home.howstuffworks.com/home-impr ... aucet2.htm

Anyone know if there's a specific name for this very particular type?

BugBear

Thanks BugBear, I've been neglecting my workshop for a very long time, it's only recently I've started going back in there. Please excuse me if my questions seem odd coming from an old woodworker.
I'm not sure about these ones, maybe Slot mortise bits but for which machine?

And does anyone know what these hollow mortise chisel sharpeners worth?

Attachments

• 100_7535.jpg
    100_7535.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 1,442
  • 100_7534.jpg
    100_7534.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 1,442
I've actually got one of those hole cutter thingys, or at least, would have if it weren't out on loan to a guy who is building his own very micro-brewery :D . Not that quick or easy to use, but just occasionally they are handy.

Those raspy looking things look like keyway cutters. I don't know how to call that in English. When you need to anchor a wheel to a shaft, usually a key is inserted between the two. The keyway for this key in the hole in the wheel is made with a rasping motion with such kind of cutters.

Preston":misjgj4k said:
Thanks BugBear, I've been neglecting my workshop for a very long time, it's only recently I've started going back in there. Please excuse me if my questions seem odd coming from an old woodworker.
I'm not sure about these ones, maybe Slot mortise bits but for which machine?

And does anyone know what these hollow mortise chisel sharpeners worth?

I agree that they are mortice bits. As far as I know keyway broaches are pressed through without being rotated.

F5F2D3EC-F288-4B7D-A2DF-9EDB41006D40_zpsfqy46iib.jpg

The sharpeners are in the same 1953 Buck and Hickman catalogue. I don't know the current values but I don't think they will make your fortune!

7806E54D-C142-40B1-972E-52C7F91AE521_zpshh5geb3q.jpg

Bugbear, my eye sight is not what it used to be, I got a magnifying glass out and now I can read on the cutters it says "Cookes improved hole cutter (800) patent no 216309".

Thanks Andy, that is brilliant detective work, curiosity got the better of me and I've been searching most of the morning to find out exactly what they are for. Now that we know, I vaguely remember using a morticer some 30 odd years ago with those same bits.

How about these, anybody know which block they are for?

Attachments

• Spindle.jpg
    Spindle.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 948
The "raspy looking things" are exactly like the mortice bits that were available for the Lurem C200 and possibly other Lurem Universals. On that model, the bits were used in a standard Jacobs chuck that fitted into the end of the planer block, in conjunction with a rise/fall/slide table bolted outside the planer. Because of the direction of rotation of the planer block, the mortice bits cut counterclockwise - not completely clear, but the ones shown look as if that's the way they cut.
Several other makes of Universal had a similar feature, including the Coronets.

On which, the moulding cutters look very much like the ones used on the Coronet too; it was a Multico block.

Back