Any timber storage ideas ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryS.

Established Member
Reaction score
So I've got a workshop thats about 15 feet long and triangular shaped (10 feet one end, 4 feet at the other)

Anyone got any good ideas for wood storage ? At the moment its spread around the room taking up valuable space :

2315357600_b0b2dbb28f.jpg

2315358036_2760cb1e5e.jpg

2314546967_c8e1c8e115.jpg

Hi Paul
I have the same problem triangular garage .18ft at one end 5 ft at the back end. It as about 20 ft long

I resolved the problem by building a storage shed in the back yard against the yard wall it is 13ft by 3ft 6in, it is about 8ft high, it has 3 shelves fixed to the wall and I store all my good timber in it, but still not enough to store my rough sawn timber so I laid 3 off 4 ft x 4ft pallets on the concrete yard and sticker the boards and covererd the stack with a tarp and left the ends open to allow the air to circulate.

I will have to stop hoarding wood

Denny,

Unfortunately I've got no space directly outside the workshop (its built into a slope) so I'm after an indoor solution

Paul

What about putting some storage high up, near the ceiling. Check out this picture

03012006210.jpg

That, believe it or not, is my garage door, as seen from the inside of the workshop. I am planning on putting some 2' deep storage directly above the door frame, which will span the 8' width of the shop. This will provide useful storage, particularly for all those bits of timber which aren't needed straight away.

Cheers

Karl

karl,

I hadn't thought about putting up above my head but for sheet goods and long lengths that makes good sense, first though I'm going to have to do the job I've been dreading, boarding the ceiling :

2141540867_8de50ffb9a.jpg

:shock:

Paul, after your latest projects, I'd think we'd be asking for YOUR advice
on solutions, anyway, there's lots of storage space in my w/s, so I'll look after it for you, :roll: :lol: :lol:
Rich.

Rich":rklnocw4 said:
Paul, after your latest projects, I'd think we'd be asking for YOUR advice
on solutions, anyway, there's lots of storage space in my w/s, so I'll look after it for you, :roll: :lol: :lol:
Rich.

the sawdust is in the post !

karl":2eoxs1b2 said:
Paul

That, believe it or not, is my garage door, as seen from the inside of the workshop. I am planning on putting some 2' deep storage directly above the door frame, which will span the 8' width of the shop. This will provide useful storage, particularly for all those bits of timber which aren't needed straight away.

Cheers

Karl

I did something similar last year - my up and over door has a metal I beam across the top that I just rested some chipboard (ex wardrobe sides) in and for good measure fixed with two screws. The other edge of the board is fixed via simple vertical battens to the rafter with a L metal repair bracket connecting to the chipboard for load (fix this to the chipboard first, then determine level and screw the batten to the joist). In total the job took about 10 mins.
I don't use this for timber but put all my cans of paint, oil, cleaners etc etc - this freed up the floor space so I could stack my timber.

Dave

If you had a pitched roof, it would've been ideal because you could store larger and longer lengths of timber in the roof space above the ceiling joists...

I made a simple small offcuts bin with different compartments for... small offcuts! I try to limit the amount of stuff to what I actually intend to use in future. You've got to be quite strict and decide on what you can really use.

I'll try to get some photo's of it up over the weekend. I think the book I took it from was called 'Woodshop Storage Solutions'.

OPJ":2t7j5o4y said:
If you had a pitched roof, it would've been ideal because you could store larger and longer lengths of timber in the roof space above the ceiling joists...

I made a simple small offcuts bin with different compartments for... small offcuts! I try to limit the amount of stuff to what I actually intend to use in future. You've got to be quite strict and decide on what you can really use.

I'll try to get some photo's of it up over the weekend. I think the book I took it from was called 'Woodshop Storage Solutions'.

cheers olly i'd appreciate some pics

paul

Hi Paul. This is what I was talking about. I did take it from a book titled, Woodshop Storage Solutions, which has some other good ideas for general tool and machine storage (including the use of cabinet stands, would you believe! :wink: ).

2317929251_641dc9a5ee.jpg

I find it works well to organise smaller offcuts - you can even seen some of my 'stock' sizes in there too. :) The different compartments make it so much easier than the old dust bin I used to have, which ended up looking like a game of Kerplunk at times! :D

I have it mounted on two castors at the back, with a block of wood below the front edge of the base, so it can't go anywhere on it's own. I still need to make the handle, which is fixed vertically up the back. The author of this article also added a scale to the back, so you can see if something meets your minimum length or if it should be chucked.

It is not the definitive solution for me, as the following photo's will show...

2317929459_32afd35c51.jpg

2317929575_4cc33fdc83.jpg

2318738056_f32eed0809.jpg

In this last shot, you can just see another shelf in the distance to the right, loaded with more offcuts of oak! :roll: I'm sure I could consolidate all this shelving in to the one area at some point. I'd love to get rid of the bigger shelving units (and some of my mum's junk! :wink: ), I reckon I'd have an awful lot more space to store whatever I want.

I don't have anything for sheet materials currently but, the best idea I've seen is where you have a section for this hinged against the wall, so it can swing out and be viewed and accessed much more easily. It was in Good Woodworing a couple of years ago; might be able to dig it out from the pile if you'd be interested. But again, you need clearence space around it so it can swing easily without obstruction.

My growing problem, though, seems to be shavings. Nobody wants them so, I have to keep going back and forth to the Green recycling bin at the local "Recycling Center". Great for cleaning your hands when they're covered in oil though. :wink:

2318737552_b4ba97ebf3.jpg

I've recently had to buy a shed!
As regards the shavings OPJ, if it's convenient to you try your local pet shop, some will take 'em some won't. An advert in your local supermarket might work as people use them as litter for Rabbits, Guinea Pigs etc.

Roy.

Thanks Digit, that seems like a good idea but, whenever I pick up a handful of "shavings", there's also a large cloud of dust which rises too. Can't see that this would be ideal for small animals and I know that there are companies that sell 'dust extracted' wood shavings for this purpose.

I wonder if they take donations from little people like us? :shock:

Paul, the latest issue of Good Woodworking has a pretty good article on general workshop storage (including timber), if you might be interested.

There's also some more shots of the swing-out plywood storage-thing I mentioned earlier.

OPJ":25y8p377 said:
Paul, the latest issue of Good Woodworking has a pretty good article on general workshop storage (including timber), if you might be interested.

There's also some more shots of the swing-out plywood storage-thing I mentioned earlier.

cheers olly, i've never actually bought a copy so this may eb the ideal time to start, you still planning to go to yandles show ?

paul

Inspired by Olly's idea I made the following just now out of some spare scraps :
2333723220_670578427f.jpg

here it is in action :
2333723548_20351b2d1c.jpg

Its cleared the wood from underneath the useless bench so thats going next !

I may make some additional sections for it when I have a bit more scrap wood left over

Yes Paul, I'm still planning on heading down to the Yandles show in a few weeks. I'm gonna try and get down on the Friday but, that's still to be arranged with the other guy I'm going with.

That reminds me, I really need to find myself a job - I'll be very tempted to buy a lathe if they have any good deals on but, I really shouldn't be spending anything more than what I can afford... :)

Back