Any timber storage ideas ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shultzy":264hu00o said:
Paul, I've had my eye on a morticer like yours - is it any good?
Shultzy,

I'm not able to give you a very good answer because of two things :
1. It's had hardly any use yet because I am just getting started in woodworking
2. I've never used any other morticer, so have nothing to compare it against

however, when I was at the axminster store buying it the rep. suggested it was a very popular model with home users (and I did have a budget to spend more but he recommended this one). The other thing he suggested was that the actual chisels are very important in the mix, for now I've bought the cheap chinese versions but he said if I wanted serious use to go for japanese chisels.

Alternatively, Shulzy, I'm very happy with the Fox 5/8" morticer from Rutlands. :)

You don't have the clamp or sliding bed of the Axminster, meaning you have to hold the work against the fence (or make a jig), but it has good capacities for a morticer in this size and price range.

Whatever you decide to go for, I echo what the Axminster rep. told Paul; to get the very best out of these machines, you have to buy good quality chisels. I really like Axminster's Japanese ones, personally. They're also A LOT cheaper than Clico's English patters bits.

Thanks Kevin, that's a great idea! :D

Paul, I just bought a very interesting book on workshop storage from Amazon by Wood Magazine; How to Build a Great Home Workshop.

You can probably find some of their stuff on their website, but there's was one idea I really like; a flip-top cabinet, with a different small machine (sander, grinder, scroll saw, etc.) on each side (one on top, one below). All you do is flip it over, lock it in place, and the other one hangs below.

OPJ":33hd91w4 said:
Thanks Kevin, that's a great idea! :D

Paul, I just bought a very interesting book on workshop storage from Amazon by Wood Magazine; How to Build a Great Home Workshop.

You can probably find some of their stuff on their website, but there's was one idea I really like; a flip-top cabinet, with a different small machine (sander, grinder, scroll saw, etc.) on each side (one on top, one below). All you do is flip it over, lock it in place, and the other one hangs below.

Am off on holiday in the mornign so will have a look when I get back, thanks

Back