Any suggestions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter-harrison

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I have to make a turned shape as shown in the attached drawing. It's just the top shape. I'm trying to work out the best order to turn the elements- inside, outside, foot? I have a Graduate lathe with a Patriot chuck and a good selection of gouges scrapers etc
The finish of the interior doesn't matter too much.

Attachments

• turned shape.pdf
    81.4 KB · Views: 119
Firstly, To get an idea of scale I’m assuming the drawing is is mm and you’re not trying to turn to the exact dimensions quoted, 0.01mm is tough ask for hand turning!

If yes to above, then I’d turn it end grain, get it into a chuck and aim to have the bowl section at the tailstock end.

I’d then turn the bowl section 20 mm or so at a time stepping down as you go leaving as much mass to support the bowl as you can during the process. The hole up the centre is isn’t dimensioned but the little step is unhelpful - if it is needed you may need to bore the main diameter during turning and then open it up from the other end with a twist drill + Forster bit etc to give you the flat after it is finished.

So, back to the turning, when you can having removed most of the bowl timber, drill the central hole to full depth needed. Then finish turn the bowl piece and put the tailstock in the hole to give support while you then turn the outer profile to finish and part off.

Hope this is not too muddled.

Simon

Once

Hi Simon, to answer your questions- it is mm. Most of the dimensions are approximate- the only one that has to be spot on is the diameter of the lip and its rebate. The step on the hole can be left out. The main problem I have with working out how to do this is that while I have turned many bowls, I've always turned the outside first and if I need a thin wall, used calipers to gauge it. This one can't be done like that as I don't reckon there's enough meat in the foot to support the thing while the inside is being turned. I guess when turning the outside, I could do a bit, take it off and check the wall thickness, and so on, etc. Have you ever turned a bowl inside out, as it were? If so, how did it go? Also, interested by your suggestion to make the blank long grain rather than cross grain as is usual for bowls. I've only done that once and found it quite difficult. Could you explain your thinking?
Cheers!
Pete

I would turn the bottom piece first and the the bowl section and treat that piece like a goblet when turning doing the fit for the bottom then the outside leaving a nice thick section where it becomes the neck, Turn the inside to finish and then return to the neck section that way you can also do the main bowl and neck as one piece.
I assume that the bottom piece is designed like that to make the vase self righting when finished

Back