Any idea - maybe silly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing I am thinking about is consistency. You are all dead right about quality content but I also want to make sure that I am regular in terms of posting. With my day job I may not get the time to do something every single week so Im thinking of ways to keep the audience engaged. Any thoughts on that? I'm toying with the idea of live video calls/live chat etc
I never understand why people feel it is necessary to post regularly. Surely it is better to post when you have something useful or interesting to say rather than have the attitude that "it is Tuesday so I must post something".

I never understand why people feel it is necessary to post regularly.

I think it depends on why you are posting. If you are trying to be a "YouTuber", get a big subscriber base and monetise your content then it seems as though regular posting is a bit of a must, otherwise YouTube's mysterious algorithms penalise you quickly (@petermillard can probably explain this much better). The problem with that of course is that churning out interesting and different content on a regular basis can be quite a challenge. Probably why so may channels seem to end up in a similar rut of making new things for the workshop.

@NewbieRaf what's your long term goal? Are you trying to get this to a point where it generates income or is it just "for fun"?

I think it depends on why you are posting. If you are trying to be a "YouTuber", get a big subscriber base and monetise your content then it seems as though regular posting is a bit of a must, otherwise YouTube's mysterious algorithms penalise you quickly...

@NewbieRaf what's your long term goal? Are you trying to get this to a point where it generates income or is it just "for fun"?
This, exactly; YouTube for fun vs YouTube as a business are different animals, and yes, the algorithm does favour regular posting if you’re a smaller channel - but get yourself a million subs and regular views in the 100k + range and they cut you some slack, apparently!

Some very successful channels are based around posting fortnightly - it’s a lot of work to post weekly, without Falling into the ‘plywood shop cabinets/mitresaw station/sharpening station’ trap - but then again, guess which videos are really popular?? 🤷‍♂️👍

get yourself a million subs and regular views in the 100k + range and they cut you some slack, apparently!..........

Some very successful channels are based around posting fortnightly ........

Peter, roughly how much money will someone with 250,000 subscribers and 330,000 ish views per fortnightly video be earning directly from Youtube? Never mind Patreon etc.

There’s a lot of good point there.

I've noticed A few things about you tube video.

around 15 minutes is a good length for video.

you have to release regularly if your going to to want make money from it.

everyone mention Peter Millard even though most of his work until now is MDF but he does cover and explain loads of different methods.

Mike Farringdon is one who does not release regularly but has good contents and a very good (not sure if this is the right term) layout.

As long as your content is decent, interesting and not click bait with good sound quality you will be fine.
You could always make one and post the link up here and we could tell you how good it is.

Peter, roughly how much money will someone with 250,000 subscribers and 330,000 ish views per fortnightly video be earning directly from Youtube? Never mind Patreon etc.
OK, firstly, nobody with 250k subs will be getting 330k views - if you’re doing well then on average around 20% of your subscriber base translates to views, and the bigger you are, the worse that ratio gets eg Jimmy Diresta has ~1.5million subs or thereabouts, but gets less than 10% of those as regular viewers.

As to how much you earn, that’s a very difficult one to answer as there are so many factors involved - geography, gender, type of video etc... and for a full breakdown you might want to take a look at my How Much Money Does a YouTube Maker Make video. But in the UK, you’re *roughly* looking at £15 for every 10k views from Adsense alone. So *if* you can consistently get 100k views per video (little to no chance in the woodworking sector) and you’re posting weekly, you’ll make ~£150/week. FYI a 10 minute video can easily take 20-30 hours of work to produce (write, shoot, edit etc...) so basically well below minimum wage. Yay.

Of course, views don’t stop after a week, and some vids have a long shelf life - one I did a year ago has been quietly racking up 1000 views/day, and shows no sign of tailing off - so a big back catalogue helps, and having videos that relate to each other can also help - YouTube always looks to your own library to recommend ‘up next’ vids, before looking elsewhere.

But yeah, nobody in the ‘maker space’ goes into it expecting to make a fortune. But you can make a living, from multiple income streams like Patreon, memberships, affiliate programs and associations etc... so if you like a video, or found it useful - do the creator a solid and don’t skip the ads. 👍👍 P

Pete....click on the link in my post. There's a guy getting 300,000 views a fortnight (sometimes up to 500,000) on a woodwork project......with 250,000 subscribers.

Thanks for the breakdown. So Leo will be getting £4000 to £6000 per fortnight from Youtube ads alone.

Pete....click on the link in my post. There's a guy getting 300,000 views a fortnight (sometimes up to 500,000) on a woodwork project......with 250,000 subscribers.

Thanks for the breakdown. So Leo will be getting £4000 to £6000 per fortnight from Youtube ads alone.
Sorry Mike, didn't see it as a link. Yes, well the Tally Ho project is kind of a special case - the exception that proves the rule perhaps - as it's more historical restoration/boatbuilding than regular woodworking, and in truth he may well be making more that that, as a project like this will have more international appeal and advertisers abroad typically pay more for YouTube ad slots than here. He also has over 3500 Patreon supporters which, even at the lowest tier, will bring in another £7k/month or so. Good for him - but I'm sure a project his needs that kind of money to progress. 👍👍

P

...everyone mention Peter Millard even though most of his work until now is MDF but he does cover and explain loads of different methods.

You make that sound like a bad thing 😂 You know it's not hard; I made videos about jobs I was doing for clients - 98% of my work was painted, and MR MDF is hands down the most appropriate material for a painted finish *in the sector that I was servicing*. Also, at the risk of stating the obvious, the channel is called "10 minute workshop"; not 10 minute woodwork, or 10 minute handcut dovetails - now that'd be one to watch! 😂👍👍 P

I used to watch loads of YT videos it helped me so much with my recovery but now I feel every channel I see is now a potential business and ends up always about patron and donators which helps them improve their tools and machines and premises and they make very little furniture etc. Ragnbone brown is a perfect example his channel started as a guy who went trawling the streets looking through skips for wood etc and then upcycling stuff and making things. He know takes tools and machines off sponsors he's making videos promoting various brands and is basically using his channel to renovate his new house and garage/shop. Its his channel and his right to do as he wants but its a massive change to what it started out as.
Paul Sellers and Rob Cosman and karlpope woodworks are the only ones I watch now for woodworking. Peter Millard's is great for tool and gadget advice.
I will give yours a go though and wish you all the best.

He know takes tools and machines off sponsors he's making videos promoting various brands and is basically using his channel to renovate his new house and garage/shop. Its his channel and his right to do as he wants but its a massive change to what it started out as.

What's the problem with that though? As Peter has said, it takes a lot of time to create a single video, the return on which, in monetary value from advertising is, naff all. Why shouldn't someone with a channel use it to leverage some extra income?

Given the significant input required by the creator, and the benefits (mostly) at absolutely no cost to the viewer, what right does anyone have to suggest that sponsorship and free tools are something a creator shouldn't entertain if that's the direction they choose by to go?

I think most people would call that progress. As long as you believe in the products you're promoting, I don't see the problem. To be fair, RagNBoneBrown still appears to be upcycling with most of his projects, and still appears to be a tight buttocks (joke) .. so I don't think much has changed. I enjoy his channel, even though I don't really like his furniture style. There is always stuff to learn, and more importantly, it's entertaining.

But if you outgrow your audience, then that potentially is a problem. Maybe your audience changes, and you lose the hobbiests and gain more experienced people. Whether thats a bad thing or not, who knows. But as you get better, your tools are going to get better, and the projects become more complicated. You can't stay a novice indefinately.

Thats not to say you can't be talented and produce grear results with simple tools and a small space though (which I the channels I prefer to follow).

A great question @Coyote - - what is my goal?. To be really honest I am still thinking, this is why I haven't been as quick as I have to spin up a blog/website as I have done in past. I can, however, answer what is not my goal, this is without a doubt, making cash or pleasing the YT algorithm. At this time I just don't have the time to invest and its by no means, my main driver. From a very high level, I see a correlation between Tech specifically what I do on a daily basis, (IT Infrastructure and so on) and woodworking. If you put me on the spot, again, at a high level I would say, firstly to both share information and learn. Secondly - long term to maybe become more advanced and be that trusted advisor.

Hey Guys

I am thinking about setting up a channel/blog specifically about being a newbie woodworker. Silly right? Hear me out, I started my woodworking a couple of years ago, being inspired by Steve Ramsey, RagNBone Brown and of course the amazing Peter Millard. Watching about a billion YouTube videos (JK) to learn stuff, a thought came to me, that there are very few channels that actually show you all the mistakes that we newbies make and how we eventually solve them and ultimately learn from them. My worry is ensuring quality content otherwise people will either get bored or take the you know what, hence why I thought I would float the idea here.

I also noticed that Steve Ramsey is doing a collaboration with a guy named Antonio, making a shoeshine box. Antonio is more or less a total newbie and the content is actually really good. Just an example, what if I was "Antonio" with a channel that went the other way? i.e posting mistakes to learn from the experts like you guys on here or otherwise.

I work in IT (bit of a techy) so I'm also thinking of incorporating this with something that I actually know a lot about - IT Tech haha

Thoughts? dare I ask...

Thanks
It's a point that has also occurred to me. I wouldn't want to do it but I would be interested in a channel where the host is the novice and the viewers provide advice in the comments. There is one channel that takes this approach. Learning Turning Metal by Andrew Whale. It's engineering rather than woodwork but the format is the same. He has become quite proficient over the years and he has a very personable approach. I would advise you to check him out even if you're not interested in making model steam engines. Watch from his earliest videos. He takes on a project which last for a series of videos until the project is completed. He openly asks for advice and always gives a mention to subscribers who offer useful tips. Most importantly of all (in my opinion), he does not try to be a comedian. YouTubers who really do have an engaging and entertaining sense of humour are comparitively rare. Yet so many seem to feel that pulling a funny face or speaking in a silly voice will boost followers. So, unless you really are a howl at parties, I would beg you not to go down this path.

You make that sound like a bad thing 😂 You know it's not hard; I made videos about jobs I was doing for clients - 98% of my work was painted, and MR MDF is hands down the most appropriate material for a painted finish *in the sector that I was servicing*. Also, at the risk of stating the obvious, the channel is called "10 minute workshop"; not 10 minute woodwork, or 10 minute handcut dovetails - now that'd be one to watch! 😂👍👍 P

sorry Peter but I never meant for it to sound like that, you and Gosforth have got me back into wood work and am now trying to create a profile to move into that trade or at least as side trade.
As you say theres nothing wrong with MDF and especially when your painting.

I would love to watch 10 minutehand cut dovetails ;).

Whereabouts in Essex are you? When social distancing is but a memory, come and stand in my workshop and I'll have you hand cutting dovetails yourself in under 10 minutes, within a day.

mike I will take you on that offer.
Am in Laindon.

Back