Any idea - maybe silly

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewbieRaf

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I am thinking about setting up a channel/blog specifically about being a newbie woodworker. Silly right? Hear me out, I started my woodworking a couple of years ago, being inspired by Steve Ramsey, RagNBone Brown and of course the amazing Peter Millard. Watching about a billion YouTube videos (JK) to learn stuff, a thought came to me, that there are very few channels that actually show you all the mistakes that we newbies make and how we eventually solve them and ultimately learn from them. My worry is ensuring quality content otherwise people will either get bored or take the you know what, hence why I thought I would float the idea here.

I also noticed that Steve Ramsey is doing a collaboration with a guy named Antonio, making a shoeshine box. Antonio is more or less a total newbie and the content is actually really good. Just an example, what if I was "Antonio" with a channel that went the other way? i.e posting mistakes to learn from the experts like you guys on here or otherwise.

I work in IT (bit of a techy) so I'm also thinking of incorporating this with something that I actually know a lot about - IT Tech haha

Thoughts? dare I ask...

Thanks

Why not?

Please be very careful showing anything involving machinery before you know precisely what you are doing. Remember that other people watch this stuff, and just because you didn't cut your fingers off doesn't mean they won't......

Great Great Great call out MikeG, thank you. Im ok with the table saw, but I think since you have a great point to start with ill stick to my Plunge saw and MFT

I'd say this is good idea. Although nothing really new. 50% of the channels I follow are people learning as they go. RagNBone probably fits into that category.

I presume your thread title is supposed to read "An idea......" If you click edit in your first post, you can correct the typo.

I'd say this is good idea. Although nothing really new. 50% of the channels I follow are people learning as they go. RagNBone probably fits into that category.

I watched a RagNBone video last night, since he has got a new table saw he seems to be at least using the blade guard but not push sticks and he was cutting some ply on the table saw which was wider then it was long. The worst thing was when he used his mitre saw he was using his right hand on the saw and his left hand to hold the wood to the right of the saw so his arms were crossed over in front of the saw, looked very awkward and very dangerous :rolleyes:

His videos are obviously aimed at beginners and as lovely as Keith is I don't think he sets a very good example.

Definitely go for it! I couldn't cope with the constant need to detail everything I'm doing, which is why I'm grateful for those who do take the time and effort to do it.

there are very few channels that actually show you all the mistakes that we newbies make and how we eventually solve them
I think there are 3 things you could show:
  1. What newbies typically do that leads to an error
  2. What newbies could do to avoid making that error in the first place
  3. How to fix the error if you do make it
Do you plan to deliberately make errors so you can show fixes? There are videos which incidentally show errors and fixes, but I don't know of any where they are the focus, so there might be a niche there.

I think the idea certainly has legs so to speak and it would be something I would possibly be interested in.

Most of the YouTube videos I have seen do not appeal to me for one simple reason, a single machine in their workshops cost more than the entire contents of my shed, therefore they have a lot more accuracy. The table saws are bigger than my workshop and the planer/thicknesers are accurate to within a gnats wing of a mm. The wood they work with is amazingly square, unlike mine when I get it that looks like a dogs hind leg.

Phew I feel better for that :censored::censored::censored:

Thank you all. Just4fun, thank you for your list of suggestions that's really helpful. A few idea's that I am floating around in my head right now:

Starting very simple, the stupid mistakes I did

- More teeth on a blade, the finer the cut, but less battery capacity if you're like me in a garage with no power
- Using reliable squares to make things square. Having made 18 shaker style doors for my kitchen that was a big thing for me
- Im also thinking of collaborating effectively i.e not just having hundreds of people leave comments on youtube. Collaboration idea, I need to gut my garage and re-model my shop from scratch
- Other things, building something, which I always make mistakes on. Making a vid of my mistakes and more importantly how I solved them

Any of that makes sense?

@Garno love that your comment there sir, maybe I could do something with that. Not too long ago I didn't have the equipment either.

I think the idea certainly has legs so to speak and it would be something I would possibly be interested in.

Most of the YouTube videos I have seen do not appeal to me for one simple reason, a single machine in their workshops cost more than the entire contents of my shed, therefore they have a lot more accuracy. The table saws are bigger than my workshop and the planer/thicknesers are accurate to within a gnats wing of a mm. The wood they work with is amazingly square, unlike mine when I get it that looks like a dogs hind leg.

Phew I feel better for that :censored::censored::censored:

This reminds me of the Blue Peter "here's one I made earlier" thing. Watch a video of someone with a hand plane getting a board flat, and a lot of the time I reckon they put it through a thicknesser :LOL:

I know next to nothing about video making and putting them on Youtube but the impression I have is that more time is spent creating the videos than is spent on actual woodworking which means that video making becomes your hobby instead of woodworking. Also, I find Rag and Bone Brown difficult to watch as he talks as if there is a full stop after every word.

I know next to nothing about video making and putting them on Youtube but the impression I have is that more time is spent creating the videos than is spent on actual woodworking which means that video making becomes your hobby instead of woodworking. Also, I find Rag and Bone Brown difficult to watch as he talks as if there is a full stop after every word.

his more recent videos are much better. Especially after he made himself an autocue.

@Steliz a very valid point, thank you. Although I work in IT Video editing isn't my thing although I can probably get my head around it. However to your point, I'm actually thinking of starting with a blog first, perhaps a quick video on Instagram, then in the medium term progress to a You Tube channel if there is enough interest.

One other thing that I like, here, is the very quick feedback and comments that I get. You are all great and very responsive thank you all so much. With that in mind, I'm liking the idea continuing this chat to make sure that the content is still on point..just a thought.

Ive already got a domain name, but once I have the blog up/website up and running ill let you all know

Thanks again

I don't think it sounds like a daft idea at all and could appeal to a good number of viewers, but I feel as though expectations on YouTube video quality, even for a new channel, are pretty high now so you'll need to be prepared to put in a lot of hours editing, and think carefully about audio and lighting ,etc.

Also content is king. I personally can't watch any more "things for my workshop" videos. New mitre saw stands, outfeed tables, french cleat walls, tool walls, dust extraction et, etc etc are 10 a penny so it's going to be hard to stand out from a lot of other people competing for the same views . The only channels I actively look for new content from are the very few who are actually making things for other people.

Have you got any ideas of the sorts of projects you could be making whilst you show beginners tips? A series of videos demonstrating techniques/ do's/don'ts whilst creating something specific isn't something I think I've seen.

........I personally can't watch any more "things for my workshop" videos........

I couldn't agree more. The first thing I do when I see a new woodworker is go to his complete video list and see if there is any furniture or other interesting projects. If it's just workshop jigs and storage, I don't bother even opening a single video. The presentation and editing might be the best in the world, but the sheer tedium of the contents trumps that.

I am thinking about setting up a channel/blog specifically about being a newbie woodworker. ...
Great idea, go for it! Also, really like the idea of a ‘cordless workshop’ - I’d work that angle into the story somewhere along the way. 👍 I’d be happy to advise/help where I can, just message me. And be sure to let us know when you’re up and running! P

@Coyote thank you for your suggestions, very valid points. Since I am a beginner I don't feel I have the experience to "teach" if you will, however I see a gap where I can make something (yes I have projects), do something wrong, or come against a problem that I am not sure how to solve and have the more experienced viewers shed some light. Indeed there will be times where I show beginner tips that either I learned from someone or just figured out myself. Hope this makes sence

One thing I am thinking about is consistency. You are all dead right about quality content but I also want to make sure that I am regular in terms of posting. With my day job I may not get the time to do something every single week so Im thinking of ways to keep the audience engaged. Any thoughts on that? I'm toying with the idea of live video calls/live chat etc

Thanks

Back