Ants in Me Pants!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyW

Established Member
Reaction score
Over the last couple of years we have had problems with occasional ant invasion in the house so far limited to the kitchen, conservatory and hallway. It has flared up again this week and is really bugging me :D

We have tried the ant traps with liquid gel (which seems to work after 14 days or so) and have spray which works immediately. I would prefer to find a better (more permanent) way of dealing with this e.g finding the nest/s. So far I have not been able to establish exactly where they are coming from.

From what I have read these black ants are not considered a health hazard. Although I must say that I take that with a pinch of salt - even though they are tiny they are likely to bring contaminants into the house.

So all help and suggestions gratefully received

Cheers
Tony

TonyW":3rz8hzru said:
From what I have read these black ants are not considered a health hazard. Although I must say that I take that with a pinch of salt - even though they are tiny they are likely to bring contaminants into the house.

You'll be needing a tiny doormat so they can wipe their little feet.

You have no idea of the icky things going on in your home, no matter how clean and tidy you try and keep it. A couple of ants isn't going to do you any harm. Talking of clean and tidy; they're after (except for the one day a year when they're out en masse for a wild party and love making) food/drink, if they can't find any they'll go elsewhere.

Have you used ant powder they are supposed to take it back to the community but it needs replacing from time to time .
They seem to like dark secluded places under skirtings carpets etc a good shop vac then the powder sorts them .
Look for gaps around doors pipes etc there used as routes in to the house and block and/or powder.
How ever powder and pets are not good.

I've always found that however well you kill them off, they always come back in the same place each year. Determined little blighters....

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Thanks for your replies guys

Neil - Made me laugh - until I went into my so called workshop and found signs of mice. :roll:
MrJay Think I might try and paint their little feet - might be able to track them to their lair.

Think I have tried most of the remedies. Powder, spray, gel and trying to seal any suspect areas they still come back :evil: :evil:

Any ideas on how to find the nest?

Cheers
Tony

TonyW":2kjcr5sb said:
Any ideas on how to find the nest?

Tony, their nest is often in an inaccessible place. Last year I lifted some paving stones in the garden to re-lay them as they were uneven, and one of them had an ant nest underneath it.

Paul

Paul Chapman":2el4qlfs said:
Tony, their nest is often in an inaccessible place. Last year I lifted some paving stones in the garden to re-lay them as they were uneven, and one of them had an ant nest underneath it.

Paul

Paul, I am sure you are correct. I live in a modern property (7 years old) unfortunately still left with the builders 3x2 concrete slabs - all the way around. We have been free of ants until the last couple of years - I suspect huge colonies beneath. Guess I will just have to lift them all and look :cry: :cry:

Cheers

Tony

Latest posts

Back