anser to my help question.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynn

Reaction score
Hi everyone,thank you for your help,don,t know if you got my last message, does not seem to be in the forum, then again i am new to this too.picked up my saw today,not new, but then again i only paid £20 for it,had to do slight adjustment to it, blades kept jumping off,and just got to cure vibration,because if i leave it running for a few seconds with my work resting on it, it ends up on the floor.managed to make few heart shapes tho.look forward to your help in the future.

That's somewhat irregular, Lynn. Blades shouldn't be 'jumping off' - it sounds as if there's something wrong with the tension. Are you using flat headed blades that are clamped into place or blades with pins that hook into place? Most scrollers get on better with flat headed blades. However, whichever blades you use, you should have the blade sufficiently taut that there's only a couple of millimeters' sideways movement. Some people say you should be able to hear a high 'C' if you 'ping' the blade with your fingers but my musical talents are too unreliable for me to consider using this technique!

Your description of the saw's vibration is quite alarming. Hopefully, someone with a Delta will be along shortly to offer advice from their personal experience but it sounds to me as if the saw isn't properly set up. In the meantime, I suspect that adjusting the tension will do an awful lot to improve matters.

Gill

hi got the blade tension sorted out thankyou, using olson pinless blades number 5.from reserch in the forum. seemed to have slowed some of the vibration down. quite pleased with myself and your help too. never done anything like this before,but really enjoying it so far. we have cleared some space in the garage, and set the saw up on an old kitchen table,but my partner seems to think the vibration is something to do with that, although the saw does not move about on the table... great... all i seem to want to do now is spend all my time in the garage, while my partner does the cooking.

Lynn":2dnc3ic3 said:
... all i seem to want to do now is spend all my time in the garage, while my partner does the cooking.
:lol:

I know the feeling well! However, I'll happily settle for him pulling on a pair of Marigolds after dinner :) .

I'm pleased your saw is working more smoothly now. Don't forget to keep your first pieces of work - as your skills develop and you take on more challenging projects, it's heartening to have something like that to look back on.

I once had a fret saw which had a surprising amount of vibration. I tested it by placing it on a concrete floor and letting it run; surprisingly, there was hardly any vibration. I interpreted this as meaning that the problem didn't lie in the saw itself, it was the stand that it was mounted on. You really do need to get as solid a stand as possible. Some scrollers make sandboxes to mount their saws on, some even just hang sandbags over the bench they're working on. Nothing dampens scroll saw vibration like the addition of mass, which is what these measures do. You can get anti-vibration matting but it's nowhere near as effective. In fact, it tends to be counter productive because it separates the mass of the saw from the mass of its stand.

Gill

Hi Lyn,
glad to hear that you got the saw ok ,and the blade sorted. :)
as for the " vibes" try putting the saw on a concreet slab,(the type used on the patio,) on the table see if that helps.
---------------Frank--------------

Latest posts

Back