Hi from Aldershot Hampshire

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve22

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi I’m steve I’m disabled with R A and had 2 small strokes and use a wheelchair and I’m just taking up woodworking to try and help with stroke. I’m more a hobbyist as I also build scale model. I’m 55 but looking forward to starting woodworking I have some bits but still trying to sort new shed out. I. Going to try building two L shaped workbenches with half lap joints I’ve no idea what I’m doing but willing to have a go. I need to get a thicknesses and planer and a few other bits but got no idea on what is good or not.

Hi I’m steve I’m disabled with R A and had 2 small strokes and use a wheelchair and I’m just taking up woodworking to try and help with stroke. I’m more a hobbyist as I also build scale model. I’m 55 but looking forward to starting woodworking I have some bits but still trying to sort new shed out. I. Going to try building two L shaped workbenches with half lap joints I’ve no idea what I’m doing but willing to have a go. I need to get a thicknesses and planer and a few other bits but got no idea on what is good or not.
Hi Steve, welcome sounds like your health has given you hell so hats off to you for not giving up and trying something new . There are multiple threads on building workbenches etc . Not sure what you intend making or what your disabilities allow you to do or not but the fact you’re willing to try is heartwarming and inspiring. I’m self taught in my woodworking and have learned several other trades over the years so go for it , I’m sure you will find your comfort zone and can then enjoy your new hobby. Tools are the easiest part as they can be found on many online sites, car boots , auctions etc . Larger online stores like Amazon, eBay, ally express, Banggood etc offer some great bargains for a decent price ( a lot are clones of the more expensive tools but reading the reviews you may be surprised at what you can buy and the savings you can make. Finally just make stuff and enjoy yourself, if you make a mistake on a project don’t beat yourself up just try again. Ask for advice anytime about anything and post pictures of your projects. Good luck 🤞

Hi Steve, welcome sounds like your health has given you hell so hats off to you for not giving up and trying something new . There are multiple threads on building workbenches etc . Not sure what you intend making or what your disabilities allow you to do or not but the fact you’re willing to try is heartwarming and inspiring. I’m self taught in my woodworking and have learned several other trades over the years so go for it , I’m sure you will find your comfort zone and can then enjoy your new hobby. Tools are the easiest part as they can be found on many online sites, car boots , auctions etc . Larger online stores like Amazon, eBay, ally express, Banggood etc offer some great bargains for a decent price ( a lot are clones of the more expensive tools but reading the reviews you may be surprised at what you can buy and the savings you can make. Finally just make stuff and enjoy yourself, if you make a mistake on a project don’t beat yourself up just try again. Ask for advice anytime about anything and post pictures of your projects. Good luck 🤞
I’ve wasn’t taught anything everything I sort of know is self taught I’m going to try two L shaped benches attached to the wall which is 9mm plywood so hopefully I can get the studs with 3 legs half lap running down the stud and screwed in at half lap then coming out 2ft and doing the same until I get to top of the L if you get what I mea.
I just routed out 3 half laps which took me ages but got there in the end

I’ve wasn’t taught anything everything I sort of know is self taught I’m going to try two L shaped benches attached to the wall which is 9mm plywood so hopefully I can get the studs with 3 legs half lap running down the stud and screwed in at half lap then coming out 2ft and doing the same until I get to top of the L if you get what I mea.
I just routed out 3 half laps which took me ages but got there in the end
My only concern is the 9mm ply won’t be able to withstand any pressure you put it under, I’m assuming this will be the top unless I’m mistaken.

I’m going through the plywood in to the main frame of shed. I’m basically building two L shaped benches but will also e attached to the walls they will all have legs to the floo. I’m attaching them to the wall to stop them moving they wi be either end of shed half will be for woodworking the other will be scale models and a couple of spray booth.
i think the fra work is 38mm x 63mm csl and will have 18mm hardwood plywood for tops

I’m going through the plywood in to the main frame of shed. I’m basically building two L shaped benches but will also e attached to the walls they will all have legs to the floo. I’m attaching them to the wall to stop them moving they wi be either end of shed half will be for woodworking the other will be scale models and a couple of spray booth.
i think the fra work is 38mm x 63mm csl and will have 18mm hardwood plywood for tops
Now that sounds better , hope you get done ok but picks will be more than welcome when you’re done-if you need help or advice just shout- I may not always have an answer but others on here will..

Now that sounds better , hope you get done ok but picks will be more than welcome when you’re done-if you need help or advice just shout- I may not always have an answer but others on here will..
If I remember I will get picture. I didn’t realise it was going to take so will be a year in September October and I haven’t tackled the wheelchair ramp yet. But have had problems company I brought it from and who built it left it crooked on base had leaks in 4 places had 3 different crew’s from them to try and sort i. The last one was the best they listened to me and talked to me as a person and not a job number and fingers crossed no issues found so far. I had to insulate and board it myself with wife and son but got there it’s not pretty but ok for me I was given the wool insulation to do walls but it would fall down so I swa it out for the ones in pictures it’s been painted inside and I finished building my table saw last week. I started the framing yesterday with routing out half laps but everythin I do work wise is all new to me like first time routing first half laps ect I’m going to cut legs a bit longer just in case then I can sort them out after dry fit. I’m hoping that my luck has changed as this project from shed to this point has been a bit of a disaster and challenge. Photos not great but best I could do cheers

Attachments

• IMG_2732.jpeg
    IMG_2732.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2745.jpeg
    IMG_2745.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2750.jpeg
    IMG_2750.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2749.jpeg
    IMG_2749.jpeg
  • IMG_2748.jpeg
    IMG_2748.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2757.jpeg
    IMG_2757.jpeg
  • IMG_2758.jpeg
    IMG_2758.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2767.jpeg
    IMG_2767.jpeg
    113.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2740.jpeg
    IMG_2740.jpeg
    928.9 KB · Views: 0
Hi Steve and welcome. Have to say, from the pics that the insulation doesn't look half bad! Kudos to you, your wife and son. You're on your way on a great adventure woodworking! Just enjoy yourself.👋👋

Hi Steve and welcome. Have to say, from the pics that the insulation doesn't look half bad! Kudos to you, your wife and son. You're on your way on a great adventure woodworking! Just enjoy yourself.👋👋
Thanks very much appreciated I added photos of it boarded out with picture of the supervisor in first one

Attachments

• IMG_2858.jpeg
    IMG_2858.jpeg
  • IMG_2850.jpeg
    IMG_2850.jpeg
  • IMG_2853.jpeg
    IMG_2853.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2859.jpeg
    IMG_2859.jpeg
  • IMG_2874.jpeg
    IMG_2874.jpeg
Thanks very much appreciated I added photos of it boarded out with picture of the supervisor in first one
I put a rubber tile floor down and painted inside and that’s the table saw I just finished building it does say it would take a couple of hours with two people. Took me just under a week hardest bit was trying to lift it on to legs. And took 3 hrs to get it into shed about 10 yards 120kg she is heavy

Attachments

• IMG_3095.jpeg
    IMG_3095.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3025.jpeg
    IMG_3025.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3034.jpeg
    IMG_3034.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2884.jpeg
    IMG_2884.jpeg
  • IMG_2883.jpeg
    IMG_2883.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2882.jpeg
    IMG_2882.jpeg
  • IMG_2881.jpeg
    IMG_2881.jpeg
  • IMG_2880.jpeg
    IMG_2880.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
I put a rubber tile floor down and painted inside and that’s the table saw I just finished building it does say it would take a couple of hours with two people. Took me just under a week hardest bit was trying to lift it on to legs. And took 3 hrs to get it into shed about 10 yards 120kg she is heavy
Wow 🤩 I think between the 3 of you you have done a good job , my woodworking journey started many years ago at a young age with hand tools only . My life was transformed by a black and decker drill and eventually a circular saw attachment to run off the drill, looking back they were rubbish but at 12-13 I didn’t really care , 1st thing I built was a greenhouse- timber and polythene all scrounged from local building sites. Yes what I built was not pretty but it was practical- the excess tomatoes were sold to my local shops for money to buy more tools and so it goes on even to this day . You have done well so please keep it up .

Wow 🤩 I think between the 3 of you you have done a good job , my woodworking journey started many years ago at a young age with hand tools only . My life was transformed by a black and decker drill and eventually a circular saw attachment to run off the drill, looking back they were rubbish but at 12-13 I didn’t really care , 1st thing I built was a greenhouse- timber and polythene all scrounged from local building sites. Yes what I built was not pretty but it was practical- the excess tomatoes were sold to my local shops for money to buy more tools and so it goes on even to this day . You have done well so please keep it up .
Thanks and I wil. You could say that my journey in woodworking started last year the shed was go to be just for my scale model building But thought hang on why not try woodworking I’ve always been interested but never had the chance same as in school.
so up until September October last year ive never heard of manufacturers like lumberjack Axminster record ect. I had no tools except for a black and decker mains drill and a set of Bosch drill bit. I suppose I could blame it on my scale model building when using balsa wood. So yesterday was first time I used a table saw and first time I used a bandsaw was 2-3 months ag. I just need to get over this mental block I have that keeps stopping me from starting anything. And the best or nicest item I have other than my table saw is a 5 piece set of narex ritcher chisels i got for Father’s day.

Thanks and I wil. You could say that my journey in woodworking started last year the shed was go to be just for my scale model building But thought hang on why not try woodworking I’ve always been interested but never had the chance same as in school.
so up until September October last year ive never heard of manufacturers like lumberjack Axminster record ect. I had no tools except for a black and decker mains drill and a set of Bosch drill bit. I suppose I could blame it on my scale model building when using balsa wood. So yesterday was first time I used a table saw and first time I used a bandsaw was 2-3 months ag. I just need to get over this mental block I have that keeps stopping me from starting anything. And the best or nicest item I have other than my table saw is a 5 piece set of narex ritcher chisels i got for Father’s day.
Your hesitation at using these tools is probably normal-it was the same for me ,especially my dewalt job site saw ( I think it’s the noise ) but it’s good to be aware and weary as the damage the t/s can do to you is horrendous and you should never get complacent. Take your time and watch as many uk safety videos to learn the do,s and the don’t,s. I also think it doesn’t hurt to get familiar with these machines slowly and check several times that everything’s is good to go. Then adopt a safety routine to operate your saw and you’re ready .

Back