Another Visit to A+E

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnErY

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys After Quite a while away from my lathe I got another six stitches put in my hand .last time I severed the nerves on my outer 2 fingers on my left hand causing me to have no feeling there and a lot of pain was cutting some logs today and caught the same hand in the saw blade didn't know it was there until I seen the blood and felt a bit of pain so I got my finger cut on the lower joint on the same hand next to my thumb I got a appointment with the plastic surgeon on Thursday in Morriston hospital Swansea with me having no feeling on the left side of the hand I didn't know how far I had travelled with the guide feel very sad and quite p======d off coz I was really looking forward to turning properly again I spent a lot of money at Isca open day and new extraction ready to rock and roll again so I could be out a while again but I still hope I see Mike Buthcher that burr I gave him and also Paul
Regards
Bill

Bad luck. I suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome & whitefinger, so can sympathise where the lack of feeling is concerned. I'm continually cutting myself and not realising until I see the blood.
Hopefully the surgeon can do something to help.

best wishes

Tom

Bill, although I sympathize with your predicament and sincerely hope your current accident does not leave you too seriously incapacitated I do worry as to why and how you managed to get your hands so close to a bandsaw blade without realising it.

Existing lack of feeling in your hands should not have any influence on operating technique as far as safe practise is concerned.
I would seriously advise that you have some one to one time with someone conversant with safe saw operation and work handling, or at least spend some quality time reviewing how you go about using the saw, there is no way your hands should be anywhere near a cutting blade.

Gawd blimey Bill how on earth did you manage to do that :shock:
I have to agree with Chas Bill about your working practice and i hope you heal ok,take care.

That's pretty grisly Bill, hope you heal up quickly. Then look into knocking up a jig or something to help you keep clear of the blade.

Blimey, not at all nice, hope it's gets better soon.

Talk about once bitten, twice shy though! I agree 100% with Chas. Assuming your vision is OK, you really shouldn't have your hands anywhere near the cutting edges. If you did have feeling in your hands it would be far too late in any event once contact had taken place as the damage is done.
You need to evaluate your working practices and soon before you lose a hand or fingers altogether.

regards
Bob

Look after yourself please Bill...I'm keen to see the results from the Buffing Wheel Kit and the stains you bought at Isca.
Hope you're fighting fit quickly.

I am unaware of the circumstances of your accident but do you not have a push stick or several different shapes, sizes, etc?

If you are cutting logs in the round then some form of cradle is to be recommended.

I sympathise with you having been unfortunate only once of being stupid enough to think that my hands would stop the lathe in an emergency!

I sincerely hope that you recover full use of your hands, soon!

Regards, Peter.

Sorry to hear that bill I hope you make a quick recovery. Having cut tendons in my hand myself I'm afraid to say it can be a slow recovery.

Bill,

Sorry to hear that you haver injured your hand again. Have you tried a butcher's glove?

The mallee burr is still on my lathe - I haven't touched it since we met up at Isca!!

Hope your surgeon can get you fixed up a.s.a.p.

Best wishes,

Hi Bill,
Try to stick to cutting wood! I Hope you're back in the workshop soon. I haven't done anything with that burr yet but I did get some pens made.

Back