Another Traffic Cone Cylconic Separator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lazy_pete

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Been meaning to put this up for ages, after making a separator to 'protect' a new shop vac (Karcher WD 5.2MP) last year. Inspiration largely from another post of a similar project somewhere else on this site. Has taken me this long to sit down and work out the photo posting system, and how to convert iPhone png files to jpg on the iPad, and shrink small enough to upload.

Cobbled together from a traffic cone ( found in a ditch, and when I took it to the council roads dept they didn't want it back) some MDF and vacuum bits. Spent a while scratching my head as to what to use for a wheeled rolling collector type thing, then hit on using thebottomsection of a 'Henry' Hoover, sourced for a few pounds.

Cut a disc the right size to futon the Henry (which involved making a router compass), then having chopped the cone top and bottom chopped another disc to fit inside the top and holes in each disc to fit the cone into and suction pipe into. Then cut a hole to fit the short henry nozzle (eBay) and hose into, which I used a couple of bolts to keep in place.

Bashed it all together, lots of silicon sealant, and some spare bookcase wall ties to support the suction hose while I experimented with length and taped / sealed in place.

More head scratching in trying to work out how to keep the lid on the Henry collector - should have rebated into drop in, but never managed to work out how to clip it down. As it happened I put a big bead of sealant all round the rim and squished the lid on. When the sealant had set it stayed stuck to the MDF and lifted away from the bucket. The moulded bead sat onto the buckets rim well, and the suction held it in place. Worked surprisingly well.

After a fair bit of use it seems to separate out most stuff. Very little if anything gets to the shop vacs bucket, but the filter still clogs up with very fine dust, and fluff seems especially bad (my missus had the tumble dryer in the garage).

The long slightly wobbly nature of the whole thing is also a bit impractical, so in the hope of more effective separation and easier handling I've just bought a Dust Commander from Amazon and stuck it onto the same base, which was handily just the right size. Seems to work so far. Had to cobble together adaptors for the bigger ports from some rolled up plastic packaging until I find a more permanent solution.

Hope the pics / project is of interest.

Current project is 'Fettling a TS-250M' which I'll try and post once I've made some progress!

Cheers,

Pete

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 1,481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 1,481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 1,481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 1,481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 1,481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 1,481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 1,481
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 1,481
Hi Pete
Just bought dust commander and got it set up(guessed as no instructions) it sort of works. I've found that it's very dependant on the depth that the vac hose is put in from the top, if u go too far in then the vac gets more than the drop bucket. Still trying to work out the correct height for this pipe.
Did u get yours running and working ok. If so could u take sum measurements and let me know.
TIA

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

I think the dust commander has a preset internal pipe, so the vac should just be attached to the top end of the connector. I've used a noshed together adaptor (rolled plastic cone and duct tape) to connect to the outside and seems to work fine.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Pete

I have a dust commander too, I actually made a video and got my money back for it :)

As above, don't push your vac tube in past the internal pipe. I tested with a new bag in the hoover, and some mdf dust. Not speck entered the vac, was really impressed with it.

Back