Another Tool Cabinet FINISHED FINAL PICS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mattty":1mu1kane said:
Thats a great idea of using the DS sticky tape to align the draw fronts. 8)

You do know it's Sunday though and there is football and rugby on..

Yes but it's Scotland & Wales :roll: I'm not biased though :^o :whistle:

The idea for the tape is not mine, I must have seen it on here or in a magazine, definitely not on NYW old Norm would have just banged in a couple of pins through the front panel :lol:

Lord Nibbo":3pojilci said:
Mattty":3pojilci said:

The idea for the tape is not mine, I must have seen it on here or in a magazine, definitely not on NYW old Norm would have just banged in a couple of pins through the front panel :lol:

Blue peter maybe :D :D They used to use rolls and rolls of the stuff.

Mattty":3ta93m4n said:
Lord Nibbo":3ta93m4n said:
Mattty":3ta93m4n said:

Blue peter maybe :D :D They used to use rolls and rolls of the stuff.

No not Blue Peter, I haven't watched that since my kids built one of those now famous Tracy Island thingies, I believe John Noakes, Valery Singleton and Peter Purves were on back then. Twas a long time ago anyway. :lol:

LN, great drawers, are you going to take the DT off and glue them or just leave them as they are. As you have the toolbox on the wall how are you going to fix the hangers on the back wall for your loose tools?

Second coat of oil applied, it's decision time for the handles, they got to be small but and look right.
3268393233_4ae4c859c4_o.jpg

So these are the drawer handles I've ordered
_5354__47790__.jpg

The knobs are only 3/4" diameter so I guess the pic is about two or three times enlarged.
:)

I'm not sure about the handles either.

Personally i would have a small Walnut turned knob with a maple dot in the middle, or a similar wooden type.
It's hard to say though, maybe the ones you chose will look good on. I hope you'll find the comments constructive :)

LN

Please don't take this as a criticism (heaven knows I am in no position to criticise) but I really think brass knobs like this would cheapen the look of what is a really beautiful looking cabinet.

The woods you have used compliment each other fantastically well and the design and construct are great, but as nice as brass is (and can be stunning on the right piece) IMHO these would detract from all your great work.

Cheers

Mark

Mattty":1p0rgow3 said:
I'm not sure about the handles either.

Personally i would have a small Walnut turned knob with a maple dot in the middle, or a similar wooden type.
It's hard to say though, maybe the ones you chose will look good on. I hope you'll find the comments constructive :)

WalnutKnob.jpg
Something small like this is what i had in mind 15mm diameter or thereabouts, maybe with a maple detail? HTH

LN

I think the brass knobs will work OK.

For me, after quite a few years of projects using purchased handles/knobs etc., I know try to make my own handles in wood.

Maybe a wooden pull? Long pull, not a round knob - chamfered edges to match the drawer.....

All criticism great fully received :) The main problem I've had is size, I've scoured and searched thousands of pics of knobs, handles, drawer pulls, call them what you like until I gone square eyed. :lol: I can't say I liked any at all but of what I picked I liked the best of all. All the wooden ones I've seen just lacked quality even made from exotic wood they were all umm... lets say rubbish design that lacked that something special. I'll try the little brass knobs first if anything in the future pops up I can always change them. :lol:

It'll be interesting to see if Waka comes up with anything special. :)

Lord Nibbo":20jba5vg said:
All criticism great fully received :) The main problem I've had is size, I've scoured and searched thousands of pics of knobs, handles, drawer pulls, call them what you like until I gone square eyed. :lol: I can't say I liked any at all but of what I picked I liked the best of all. All the wooden ones I've seen just lacked quality even made from exotic wood they were all umm... lets say rubbish design that lacked that something special. I'll try the little brass knobs first if anything in the future pops up I can always change them. :lol:

We have a winner! :lol: :lol:

Lord Nibbo":3245l0c8 said:

LN

Like you I have been searching for the same and have to say that I've not seen anything that catches my eye. What I did like was the suggestion from from Matty regarding wooden handles with a spot of other wood, for me that could work with a rosewood knob and a little inset piece of mapel.

Not really having the turning skills for this I might have to approach one of our able turners to see if they would like the paying commission, I think its the only option left.

Waka":31d3aizu said:
Lord Nibbo":31d3aizu said:

LN
I might have to approach one of our able turners to see if they would like the paying commission, I think its the only option left.

I await the result with interest but I've yet to find anything that I liked straight off :duno: Interestingly there is someone on woodnet going through the same agonies as us two. :?

I still think think slim rectangular strips of walnut, you can have these vertically for the doors and horizontally for the drawers. Put a slight hollow in underneath to give you a bit of purchase. I did something similar on the drawer of the jewellery box I put up on here.

Not only will the timber be a match with the rest of the piece but stylistically they will flow too as they'll follow the geometric shapes you have throughout the cabinet. I think round knobs would look out of place on this one, especially bright brass ones

hello your lordship, what about making a maple dowel for the centre of the knob. then inserting it into a piece of walnut with a hole drilled in it .when you turn this on the lathe you can make it two toned to match the drawers.ie the bottom will show maple, the wide bit will be walnut, then the top will be maple .this is all very small knobs. someone may be able to do a drawing of it hth frank

frank":36hiltel said:
what about making a maple dowel for the centre of the knob. then inserting it into a piece of walnut with a hole drilled in it .when you turn this on the lathe you can make it two toned to match the drawers.

frank

Hmm! I might give it a try. should be easy enough to make.

If you can wait a couple of months I'd be happy to turn them for you ;) :D

Back