Another Tool Cabinet FINISHED FINAL PICS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lord Nibbo":33qrp7pg said:
Waka":33qrp7pg said:
This is starting to get Bl***y serious, here we all are trying to make the odd project and along comes this chap from Cornwall who seems to be doing a good job, but putting everyone else to shame.

There's me not even ready to post stage one yet.

I somehow don't think I'm going to shame your tool cabinet Waka. There's a huge difference between paneled birdseye maple and proper joinery with the rose wood compared to mdf edged with a bit of walnut :lol: I think this is the first ever project I haven't had to size all the wood other than pass it over the table saw, ok I edged planed most of it with a hand plane but only to take the saw marks out.

No I think yours will be handed down though your family, mine will probably be cut up to bodge an ikea dooda. :lol:

Edit ... PS. I can't wait to see your cabinet with a finish on it.

If all things go well (and there's no reason to think they will) I could be posting the finished lower cabinet sometime over the weekend, although all the coats of finish will not have been applied.

Keep the piccies coming LN - looking pretty good. Wonder if you'll finsh before Waka? :whistle:

A little disaster

First thing this morning was to sand it all down and dry fit the doors. Everything in the pic looks fine but it's not. I wanted at least a 1/8th" gap between the doors, I ended up with no gap and about 1/16" overhang one end. :( So not being able to reduce the door width I'll explain later how I've overcome the problem.

Here's a pic of the dry fit.
3233400249_a2de40457c_o.jpg

So I fitted the left hand door flush, here in this pic you can see the solid brass piano hinge has been fitted.
3233400993_320b294ec8_o.jpg

Here is what I did to get over the problem of too wide a door, sorry about the focusing. I added a 3/16th thick piece of walnut down the outside of the cabinet, at least I got my 1/8th gap back :)
3234307250_5ae8a82034.jpg

I could of cut the door down I suppose but it's a lot of work for something that no one will notice or even see as it will be on the far end of the cabinet nearly in a corner.

Here is a better pic showing the door clamped to the cabinet whilst I fitted the hinge.
3233400621_dba802f9a5_o.jpg

Those doors look heavy :shock: They cerainly will be when fully laden with your collection. I hope you've used long screws in those hinges.

It's going to be superb though mate, that is a certainty. I can't wait to see it finished... At this rate that will be around 7pm tonight.

Mattty":1v81ipxn said:
I can't wait to see it finished... At this rate that will be around 7pm tonight.

No I usually knock off about 2pm :lol: I still got to finish putting screws in that second hinge. You mentioned about the screws being long enough, they are Spax 1" specifically for piano hinges.

I'm glad that you solved the width problem LN, can be a b****r when something like that goes wrong. I have had one or two things go wrong, the worst being that I had to scrap a finished drawer front because it wasn't quite right.

Where did you get the hinges from and what length are they?

Lord Nibbo":15bne9zy said:
Mattty":15bne9zy said:
I can't wait to see it finished... At this rate that will be around 7pm tonight.

No I usually knock off about 2pm :lol: I still got to finish putting screws in that second hinge. You mentioned about the screws being long enough, they are Spax 1" specifically for piano hinges.

Thats why i was asking. Piano hinges tend to require a small headed screw, which also tend to be short. Spax actually do a screw specifically for piano hinges?

HE'S HUMAN!

Good workaround nibbs. coming along nicely.

It's a bit big ennit :) As you can see both the doors are on and they fit a treat. :)
Sorry about all the distortion with the pics, when it's up in position and finished I'll take proper pics using my SLR.
3237054950_288ce0601f_o.jpg

French cleat added. Two coats of Danish oil added. Don't worry I'm not going to use that sh*t colour on the rest of it, It's an old tin I had that's got antique pine tint in it, all the rest will be clear oil.
3236211389_07c07332ba_o.jpg

This morning I added another coat of oil on the back of the cabinet then I emptied the old cabinets of all their contents and removed them from the wall so I could fix the other half of the french cleat ready for when a friend comes to help lift the new cabinet in position later on today.

With all the hand tools stored on the table saw I couldn't resist taking a pic to have a sort of gloat :lol:

A packet of damp polo mints to the first person who can list every tool in the pic. :whistle:

3238216725_5aeaaf6526.jpg

If you want to see the full size pic click HERE but I warn you even with broadband it may take a while to download. :lol:

This is disgusting, you should be banned from the forum for doing gloats of this nature :lol: :lol:

Can't wait to see them in their new home.

Did you 'design in' locations for everything or are you playing it by ear now the cabinet is finished?

Cheers, Ed

EdSutton":2vlhaybp said:
Did you 'design in' locations for everything or are you playing it by ear now the cabinet is finished?

Cheers, Ed

Up to a point yes for the planes and saws, here are one or two of what I did.
3235110852_8e3e20aaa4.jpg

3110746845_495cfcbea2.jpg

3111580374_e79cfb8b56.jpg

The right hand plane space is 4 1/2" wide to take a scaper plane and an LN #9 with the knob on.

LN

Just been checking the original drawings and can't seem to find the measurement, what is the depth of the cupboard?

I have my planes similar to the way you are going and have to say that it's a useful way of doing it. I haven't completely decided how my top cabinet is going to look on the inside, so I might do something similar.

Any news on the draw handles yet?

The main body depth of the cabinet is 8" on the outside, 7 1/2" on the inside.
The doors are 4" on the outside, 3 1/2" on the inside.

No decision on the handles as yet, in fact I need to go and get some ash for the drawer sides and back. I have been toying with some teak holes as used on boats, ones like these
23942.jpg

Long walnut strips Nibbo, long walnut strips..... just pretend you're being hypnotised. Vertical about a quarter of the height of the door, but very thin

Latest posts

Back