Another Tool Cabinet FINISHED FINAL PICS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lord Nibbo":1vnyle7i said:
Waka":1vnyle7i said:
You know what would look really nice instead of the 99p for 20, go for the brass insert sleeve and brass paddle, very classes.

Well the brusso sleeves are £11.06p per twelve I need about 200 thats ££176 :shock:

I probably need about 40-50 pins and at £7.96 for 4 adds another £100 so £276..... I feel faint.... :shock:

Point taken, but you could always order them from Lee Valley I think it works out about £1.00 for 20.

I bit the bullet and decided 5mm for the shelf pin holes, I've made this jig, not yet drillied out when I took the pic. I've used it and drilled the pin holes in the right hand side of the cabinet.
3205676079_81c7d341f0_o.jpg

So on to the walnut edging, can you believe I need in excess of 180 ft run 13mm x 13mm :)
this took much longer than I thought, first job was to cut slices off the 2 1/2" plank I've got, then plane and thickness them to a little over the thickness of the mdf. Then I ripped them down, each time I passed the remaining piece over the planer before ripping the next piece so I ended up with three face already planed. Then lastly a pass through the thicknesser on two faces to match the mdf thickness.

Here's a pic of all the pieces of walnut.
3206516798_6f845bdb12_o.jpg

I thought all the housing joints or dadoes were a bit tight so I've eased them a little as can be seen in this pic.
3206517770_94ac67764b_o.jpg

I've started gluing on the walnut to the two side panels using just pva and #10 biscuits.
3206518226_9a9de6a383_o.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to dry fit all the main components and maybe glue them up. :D

Because of a bad back I never got to do anything yesterday. But today I started the glue up and the first problem was how do you glue up both sides of the cabinet to a top, bottom, and three shelves all at the same time with two biscuits on every corner and keep it all square? The second problem was finding enough clamps over 5ft long ?

This pic The nearest long board is the top the upper surface is the back of the cabinet.
3212773506_95c6f44bfc_o.jpg

Well the pic shows how I've started the glue up, first the left hand side only is glued to the top and bottom, the right hand side is positioned in place dry but with biscuits holding it. I then used all the longest clamps I have and clamped it up. The back panel is only there to keep everything square while the glue cooks :) If you look very closely at the far end of the back panel you will see I haven't allowed it to drop into the rebate, letting it drop in would make it really hard to get the panel out for the next step. In a hour or so I'll remove the back panel the clamps and the right hand end, then glue in the three inner shelves before gluing on the right hand end all in one hit, then I need to glue in the four vertical shelf supports in the right hand side where my planes will be stored. Then I can glue and pin the back in place.

LN

I don't suppose there's much chance of you slowing down is there?

You know what they say about clamps, you can never have enough.

Waka":2wshmuf7 said:
LN

I don't suppose there's much chance of you slowing down is there?

You know what they say about clamps, you can never have enough.

Slow down! :shock: :wink: I didn't go near it on Sunday, all day (bad back again) and I had to finish early Saturday afternoon as it was our 39th wedding anniversary and swmbo was getting a little annoyed with me, I wonder why? :lol:

Ok with the back removed I found it easier to glue the other side on with the unit standing on it's side. This view is from the rear of the cabinet.
3213156776_b5a03e0530_o.jpg

The plane dividers just to the right of the cabinet are cut and drilled ready to be glued in but I'll have to get the mallet out and actually slide them into position before the back goes on.

A day off tomorrow, I got to go with swmbo to arrange having are Aga cooker renovated. :(

Waka":v8bkz4p8 said:
I have to say it is starting to look good.

Sure is !

Always worth tuning in to your projects LN, looking forwards to seeing how it comes together.

Cheers, Paul :D

Looking really good...

I havent done much with veneered mdf but would like to give it a go...can you recommend a good source?

ta

Jeremy

JWS1":6blzlyt9 said:
Looking really good...

I havent done much with veneered mdf but would like to give it a go...can you recommend a good source?

ta

Jeremy

I don't know who would be local to you but a google for veneered mdf of ply should find a source around Bristol & I'm sure other forum members will know.

What really surprised me earlier on woodnet where I'm posting the same thread many American were unaware that you can get veneered mdf :shock:

Jeremy,

I've not used them myself but, plenty of people have recommended Avon Plywood to me, in Keynsham.

You could also check out SMS Veneering, down in Weston. Again, not used them myself but, might be worth a shout.

:)

The back is glued and pinned all around the edge, where the shelves are the back was carefully marked and pre drilled before screwing into the shelves with spax mdf screws.
3217109049_d410bd02f5_o.jpg

First view from the front and the right way up. The small pieces between the long shelves are only temporary and were only to keep the shelves firmly in place when the back was screwed to the shelves.
3217962790_7a4210a6ef_o.jpg

Adding the walnut face frame. Because this part of the frame will be carrying the weight of the doors I thought I should add biscuits for strength, six down each side. The rest of the face frame will be just glued and pinned
3217963328_d78161a004_o.jpg

Both left and right parts of the face frame fitted.
3217964196_50934e2ece_o.jpg

:)

Looking good nibbs. I like your rate of production, it's about 100% more efficient than mine

wizer":3guq6h7s said:
Looking good nibbs. I like your rate of production, it's about 100% more efficient than mine

Is that good or bad? I find I'm impatient watching other people work, I can't help myself from taking over and doing a job myself. Yet I have all the patients in the world with anything I'm doing :shock: So the impatients thing usually means I blow a fuse with other people far too quickly.

The only person that can stop me full flow is swmbo. :lol:

I honestly wish I was like that. It seems I'm your exact opposite :D

Tom I think you're doing yourself down there, I reckon you must be closer to 1000% less efficient than Nibbo :wink: Mind you glaciers move more quickly than the progress on my guitar.

Have you decided on the handles yet Nibbo?

I'm getting it from all directions tonight :wink:

But you're right. But that won't stop my buying new tools.... [-( :lol:

Back