Another Tool Cabinet FINISHED FINAL PICS

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lord Nibbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Edited 23rd February......

Now all the pics have been added to this thread you can view the pics as a slide show and full screen size by clicking HERE

Sorry yes it's another Tool Cabinet, I'll say sorry now if you get bored easily. :wink:

Well you've seen the SketchUp design and there was a few changes, mainly to the overall size or I should say height. The first SketchUp was 48" tall this was reduced to 42" after realizing it would hit the rails of my garage doors when opened :) I also reduced the number of drawers along the bottom from three layers to two.

Here's a reminder pic of the design.

3201825390_8d40f573b1_o.jpg

I then thought I would need about two sheets of Maple veneered mdf to make it but I was way out. :)
The last time I used any quantity of sheet plywood I used to use optimic to do a cutlist but I lost the programme when I replaced my computer a year or so back, anyway I downloaded a 30 day trial of Smart2D Cutlistlist, I found it quite easy to use but after listing in all the pieces I needed I found out that I was limited to 30 parts per project :( and even worse than that I found out I couldn't print out the cut list plans :(

So not to be out done I painstakingly copied each page and drew a rough plan using photoshop, here is one of the plans I drew.
3200980821_89ae170c58.jpg

So I needed four sheet or to be exact three and a quarter sheets, not the two I imagined I would need :(

I have a local stockist of sheet material "William Edens" for four sheets of 1/2" maple veneered mdf they quoted something close to £240 inc vat, I phoned around and found "Brittons" in Saltash could supply the same for £160 :) Up until now I thought William Edens were pretty good but now I know different. :)

Here's what you might call an artist impression of what the finished cabinet should look like.
3201825588_933dc47677_o.jpg

I collected the panels this morning, I'll make a start on it in the morning and post later with how it's going. :)

Should be good, judging by the size it must be fair to say you have more than a couple of tools!

Are you also going for a rosewood carcass then? Or your old friend walnut

I'll be watchning this with interest, as I'm also considering a wall hung cabinet.

Did you know that sketchup has a cutlist plugin? I haven't used it fully so not sure if it's as good as Optimik. Optimik is good but is also limited by number of parts (30 also IIRC).

Ironballs":2rxr8qjb said:
Should be good, judging by the size it must be fair to say you have more than a couple of tools!

Should be room for one or two Karl Hotley's. I wish :whistle:
982-01.jpg

Ironballs":2rxr8qjb said:
Are you also going for a rosewood carcass then? Or your old friend walnut
Yes walnut, just some leftovers from building the cupboard unit. :lol:

Waka":8qq8t916 said:
LN

Like to SU drawings, going to look really nice, you mention walnut, what's the other woods you'll be using?

Nothing else, just the walnut & maple mdf. I will probably drop the shaped draw front finger holes and lip them with a thin lipping of walnut. I suppose tiny round knobs in walnut for handles would be the way to go? or should I look at ebony? :?

Lord Nibbo":1cri0wt1 said:
I downloaded a 30 day trial of Smart2D Cutlistlist, I found it quite easy to use but after listing in all the pieces I needed I found out that I was limited to 30 parts per project :( and even worse than that I found out I couldn't print out the cut list plans :(

So not to be out done I painstakingly copied each page and drew a rough plan using photoshop,

If you have this problem again Your Lordship, then set the area you want to print to fill your screen and then hit CTRL Print screen and the current window is saved to the clip board.
You can then paste into a suitable application like MS word as a picture, fiddle with margins etc to get it as big as you want and then print it.
Very useful for any of these free trial programmes that reduce functionality by removing 'Print' from the trial versions.

hth

Bob

Lord Nibbo":1m0xn4sg said:
Waka":1m0xn4sg said:
LN

Like to SU drawings, going to look really nice, you mention walnut, what's the other woods you'll be using?

Nothing else, just the walnut & maple mdf. I will probably drop the shaped draw front finger holes and lip them with a thin lipping of walnut. I suppose tiny round knobs in walnut for handles would be the way to go? or should I look at ebony? :?

LN

I haven't yet decided on the handles I'm going to have with the draws in then upper cabinet, so I'm really interested to see which way you go.

9fingers":srmlkjuq said:
If you have this problem again Your Lordship, then set the area you want to print to fill your screen and then hit CTRL Print screen and the current window is saved to the clip board.
You can then paste into a suitable application like MS word as a picture, fiddle with margins etc to get it as big as you want and then print it.
Very useful for any of these free trial programmes that reduce functionality by removing 'Print' from the trial versions.

hth

Bob

I would never thought of doing that. I'll try and remember how to do it :lol:

So here is the start of work on the actual tool cabinet, first job using my cutlist was to cut all the sheets down to sizes I could put on my table saw using my Bosch portable circular saw, here's a pic finishing the back panel of the cabinet using my home made saw guide, just line up the edge with my pencil marks, clamp it and cut, dead easy :)
3203921178_ab7c3b3174_o.jpg

Now here is a pic of all the sheets rough cut and labelled, some of the parts have been cut to finished size.
3203071765_8a0cb056e0.jpg

Next job was to rout out where the shelves will sit in the side panels, this next pic shows the two side panels clamped together the two stopped dado's have already been cut, I set up the guide clamp using an offset guide, it makes it so easy and quick, no guess work in cutting it correctly.
3203922370_f716f577d3_o.jpg

On this last dado I show how I got over the problem of using a 12.7mm cutter when the boards have a finished thickness of nearly 14mm, I cut the dado as seen in this pic.
3203922880_6545bf9aac_o.jpg

Then I removed the plastic measure in the clamp and using a tiny bit of double sided tape I stuck the rule on the edge of the clamp guide as seen in this pic
3203073255_ed5242a367_o.jpg

Then I did another pass with the router and a perfect fitting dado joint. :)

I then switched to my router table and routed out a rabbet on the back inside edges of the top, bottom & sides to house the back panel.
3203073621_f34879ae48_o.jpg

:D

I'm going to need some of these shelf pins and I need to know what is the pin diameter, cos I got to drill a lot of hole for the plane shelves. Anyone know?
cabinet_shelfpins_small.jpg

EDIT....

It's OK I found them on ebay 5mm. :lol: 99p for 20 :lol:

that's lucky because I was going to say they were 1/4 inch

What do I know ? ;)

Lord Nibbo":sm0lxcp7 said:
I'm going to need some of these shelf pins and I need to know what is the pin diameter, cos I got to drill a lot of hole for the plane shelves. Anyone know?
cabinet_shelfpins_small.jpg

EDIT....

It's OK I found them on ebay 5mm. :lol: 99p for 20 :lol:

You know what would look really nice instead of the 99p for 20, go for the brass insert sleeve and brass paddle, very classes.

Waka":hyyc18l5 said:
You know what would look really nice instead of the 99p for 20, go for the brass insert sleeve and brass paddle, very classes.

Well the brusso sleeves are £11.06p per twelve I need about 200 thats ££176 :shock:

I probably need about 40-50 pins and at £7.96 for 4 adds another £100 so £276..... I feel faint.... :shock:

Back